Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

David Lee Roth...on the radio!

Pages: 1 4 replies

So the rumor is officially confirmed. Diamond Dave is picking up where Howard Stern has left off on terrestrial radio. Apparently Dave will be heard in New York and other markets around the country. The marketing campaign is already in full swing and there's a giant billboard of Dave in Times Square advertising his debut on Jan 9th.

Here in New York 92.3 K-Rock, said goodbye to Howard Stern today as he moves on to Sirius. K-Rock will also be changing their format from alternative rock to 'Free FM', a new FM talk format. My thoughts are a) I'm not a big Howard fan so I don't care. b) Alternative rock radio has sucked since all of the 90s grunge and alternative bands broke-up, dissolved, or had their leaders off themselves, so I'm not gonna miss K-Rock c) I'm so glad I have Sirius radio so I don't have to listen to FM anymore. d) I saw Dave with Van Halen twicw in the 80s and it was f'ing awesome!

My final thought is, how the hell is Dave gonna get up that early to do 4 hours of morning drive radio everyday?? I have a hard time believing that he's in for the long haul with this. Dave: don't quit your day..um I mean...your night job!

I hope Dave has a successful show.

I'm with ya on the now useless nature of FM.

Once Clearfinity owns all the stations, they will have successfully killed the goose, so to speak, and we can all relax with the evolution to universally available podcasts and satellite stations.

Anyway, not to digress, Dave should keep in mind that Danny Bonaduce is waiting in the wings! :wink:

I was listening to a discussion about daytime talk radio (on the radio) and heard an answer that piqued my interest.

When asked why AM talk radio skews so heavily conservative, the radio industry person said, "Because all the liberals are at work during those hours."

I had never thought of it that way, but it was given as the reason for the failure of liberal talk radio. It's not that liberals won't listen to the radio, they're just too busy during the day. Purely demographics driven, not agenda based. This person also said that college grads tend toward FM - so the remaining listener pool is pre-defined for the AM programmers on that front, as well.

On 2005-12-17 00:25, donhonyc wrote:
Here in New York 92.3 K-Rock, said goodbye to Howard Stern today as he moves on to Sirius. K-Rock will also be changing their format from alternative rock to 'Free FM', a new FM talk format. My thoughts are a) I'm not a big Howard fan so I don't care. b) Alternative rock radio has sucked since all of the 90s grunge and alternative bands broke-up, dissolved, or had their leaders off themselves, so I'm not gonna miss K-Rock c) I'm so glad I have Sirius radio so I don't have to listen to FM anymore. d) I saw Dave with Van Halen twicw in the 80s and it was f'ing awesome!

K-Rock was talk radio for half the day anyway, there was no music on the Howard Stern Show, and didn't they just repeat his show again for the people who go to work later?

Here in San Diego we have FM949 who don't talk over the beginning & end of songs, they back announce the music they played, and don't spend all day talking about their great new mattress or latest bad date or who they saw at a club last night.

On 2005-12-22 08:23, freddiefreelance wrote:

...in San Diego we have 949 who don't talk over the beginning & end of songs, they back announce the music they played, and don't spend all day talking about their great new mattress or latest bad date or who they saw at a club last night.

... but 949 still plays common pop "alternative" music... near identical schlock as its red headed & kooked out step sister, 91X...

... on the upside however, the "good" 949 was the model number of the stereophonic pistol distributed at the knight stamp redemption center to evil kaos agents, a scheme foiled by agent smart, 99, the chief and larabee (both dressed as ladies)...

In L.A., we are getting Howard Stern replaced by Adam Carola. Starting Jan. 3rd.

Thank god!!!

( remember Mr. Berchim on Kroq? That was some funny shit!!)

And KLSX 971 is calling themselves, Free Radio now too.

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2005-12-22 17:38 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies