Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki With Santa Claus Hat

Pages: 1 27 replies

Just recently I have had trouble logging in to my Shutterfly account (anyone else get a nothing page when they click on "member sign in"?). But I wanted to mention that, inspired by some photos I saw this year of tikis combined favorably with jack-o-lanterns, I decided to take a resin tiki and attach a red Santa Claus hat to it. This was fairly simple. I had a Christmas-oriented cat toy of a mouse with such a hat, and noticed that the hat could be carefully removed with a pair of manicure scissors. It looked like a good fit with the tiki head, so I removed it. It wouldn't stay on very well just placed there so I figured gluing was necessary. I fired up the hot glue gun. The tiki had deep ridges sculpted into the top of the head; and I figured that if I molded some aluminum foil down into those ridges, I could squirt a dot of glue onto the tin foil and stick the hat on top of that. The tin foil would act as a barrier layer that would allow me to remove the hat. later, leaving no glue on the tiki. (I didn't care about damaging the hat, but I couldn't damage the tiki at all, you see.)

It is in the window now and looks very bizarre and appropriate!

T

Something like this?

Or this?

My wife and I have been doing this for years. You can go to pet stores and buy the hats they have for pets too. The big and small ones you must make yourself.

I recommend the small stuffed animal bin at most thrift stores; its a bonanza of clothing that will fit your travel mascot or tiki mug. Tiki mug-sized Santa hats are about the easiest thing to find right now; just buy the stuffed animal (usually a dollar at the most), remove whatever you need then donate the toy back to them. If you travel, you can often find something regional. Clearanced holiday stuff at Target is also great for photo prop wardrobe; those stuffed M&M guys were very useful the last few years.

Here's a pic of my backyard from last year just before a party (the patio was the smokers lounge). More than anything, the hat helps block snow from getting into the tiki's head.

-Z

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2005-12-18 08:12 ]

I

Does anyone have a picture of Santa Claus standing next to, or carrying a tiki? The more I think about it, the more I am sure that I have never seen this, and I'd like to see one. Not a cartoon Santa either, but a live person wearing a Santa costume standing next to a tiki?

Bonus points if the picture includes a pretty women wearing a Mrs Santa mini-skirt.

Vern

Give me a day or so and I will get a pic for you.

T

I don't have a pic of a santa with a tiki, but I took this when I visited Port Aventura in Spain about a year ago of this tiki in a santa hat.

The hat I made just for the tiki. I also took this pic and cropped it for our Annual Holiday bash invites.
Ho Ho HO D&C

I have a pic from Tiki Tiki in Tokyo w/ a Tiki with a X-mas hat on from when I was there last December. I'll find that pic and scan it in. It was the talking Tiki (for you who have been there) if my memory serves me correctly.

I just photographed one of mine a couple of days ago:

Oh, you people are so cool! You rock! I thought I was the only one who appreciated such a thing.

I got this Guy last night from Tiki Tony at the "Tiki's"N" Tinsel" art show at the Lucky Tiki Last night.

T

fun subject, and all very fine tikis. Love that Tony tiki tiki. What a style

M

Merry Christmas...

T

Here's mine. Got the hat at Hilo Hattie ages ago. You can't see it too well in the pic, but it's a red hawaiian print. Too small for a real person's head. Perfect for a tiki.

Mele kalikimaka!

S
sumu posted on Mon, Dec 19, 2005 10:24 PM

had posted this earlier on another thread...

On 2005-12-19 22:10, Polynesiac wrote:

At first glance, I thought it was a tiki squirrel.

:)

-Z

Tiki man and his wahine say Merry Christmas!

I can't explain why, but...when I see a tiki wearing a Christmas hat like that, it seems very exciting and cool to me. Makes me want to stare at it.

My tiki-with-Christmas-hat is pretty tiny, one of those little resin statues I got at the mall, but it seems so much more powerful, and formidable, with the hat on.

Here are our dressed up and looking good for the holidays ..... tikis!There is most definitely something about a tiki wearing a santa hat . . . .

Wow...now that's what I call Christmas spirit!

...my roommate's cat loves tikis (he curls up and sleeps with them) so this year he has a "Merry Tiki Mas" stocking...I'll have to try to post pix...

C

Mele Kalikimaka!

This guy was in It's a Small World at Disneyland

B

ikitnrev,

does this count as santa with a tiki?

Mele Kalikimaka to all!

I

Thanks Bargoyle!

It is Christmas morning here, and it is raining, not snowing outside ... so your photo of Santa with tiki mug was just what I needed to see.

Although I first posted this tiki in Santa hat picture last year, I feel it is appropriate to post it again, so it can be included with all the other tikis dressed as Santas.

Vern

S
SES posted on Sun, Dec 25, 2005 6:00 PM

Santa Bob

Pages: 1 27 replies