Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

european tiki

Pages: 1 12 replies

A
arno posted on Sat, May 4, 2002 10:17 AM

Hi there,
DOes anyone know of any tiki bars, clubs, associations or places of interest in Europe, especially Switzerland or France?
thanks for your help

K
kah706 posted on Sun, May 5, 2002 9:57 AM

Hello Arno,

I don't know about Tiki bars in France or Switzerland, but there is one near Antwerp, BE that looks pretty groovy (http://www.geocities.com/tikibelgium/main.html). We are in Rotterdam, NL, but haven't had a chance to get to this one yet. Let us know what it's like if you go.

Cheers,
Kelly

Thanks for the set-up.....just check my British & European Tiki guide for at least the partial scoop!

http://traderwoody.iwarp.com

Trader Woody

TC

there's a tiki bar in BERLIN!

on kortestrasse near urbanstrasse.

called the kahuna lounge.

it seems to be very new. tikis abound and there's a good vibe about the place.

i wasn't able to go there at night when it was open. i was there in the afternoon. but the owner was there and let me in. he thought it was great that some goofy american was standing outside his bar in the middle of the afternoon trying to get a peek inside.

he even gave me a drink menu, which is huge and well illustrated (i'll try to post a pick later).

here's the website:

http://www.kahunalounge.de/

some OTHER TIKI BARS IN EUROPE are in the following cities:

barcelona
munich
bilbao
london
stockholm (tiki room, birkagatan 10)
hamburg
marbella
palma del rio (spain)

the the topic folder called SPANISH TIKI REPORT might also help.

:sheckymug:
tiki chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-05-07 01:42 ]

The Kahuna Lounge’s menu was drawn by my friend Andreas Michalke. He is also designing small production run mugs and is an underground cartoon artist and painter.
The kahuna Lounge is not very Tiki or exotic in terms of the vibe you find there, which is much like any other neighborhood bar. The decoration is all modern, with a little surfing theme mixed in. I like it, and I am going to move to the same destrict at the end of this month.
Also in berlin there is an outside Tiki bar at the Prater in Mitte. I don’t remember the street, but it’s a big street and I will post it here later.

KK

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Aug 27, 2008 6:49 PM

Tiki was HUGE in Spain. More than anywhere else in Europe.
There's many Polynesian bars in Spain that are still open, but most of them are closed now... Most of them undocumented.
Some cities with bars that are still open.
Cuenca
Madrid
Mallorca
Malaga
Asturias
Navarra
etc...

Complete tiki Spain

Z

[ Edited by: Zeta 2008-08-27 18:50 ]

On 2002-05-07 01:28, Tiki Chris wrote:
there's a tiki bar in BERLIN!

here's the website:

http://www.kahunalounge.de/

Nice website.

Some cities with bars that are still open.
Cuenca
Madrid
Mallorca
Malaga
Asturias
Navarra
etc...

Complete tiki Spain

Z

Zeta,
By Mallorca I'm guessing you mean Palma? What's the name of the place? I heard about formerly open places, but no one seemed to know about anything current except my cousin and that was on my last day there so I couldn't go check it out. There's a non-tiki place in Puerto Soller that offers a few tiki drinks, but the recipes are weird - even for Spain - and I don't expect they'll be in business long since bars in that particular location have been failing regularly for the past few decades.

-SV

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Nov 4, 2008 5:52 AM

Serious voodoo,
There were many Tiki bars in Mallorca, in Palma there is one still open called "Papaya" that is spectacularly ugly...
Hasta luego.

Don't forget Cheeki-Tiki in Cala D'or in mallorca as well, never been and is no connection.

Thanks to you both. I'll have to check them out next time I head over, though I'm going to keep my expectations low. I heard there was a place called Waikiki that might still be open, but I can't find any evidence of it on Google.

• SV

On 2008-11-04 22:18, serious voodoo wrote:
...but I can't find any evidence of it on Google.

Have you tried googling Tiki Europe? It does wonders!

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Nov 5, 2008 2:57 AM

On 2008-11-04 22:18, serious voodoo wrote:
Thanks to you both. I'll have to check them out next time I head over, though I'm going to keep my expectations low...

• SV

Señor Voodoo, "Papaya" is so ugly that it is great! The TIPSY factor is extremely high, it is "good ugly" not "bad ugly", so keep your expectations high!
But... I don't know if it is still open, last time I went to Mallorca was in 2004.
Z

[ Edited by: Zeta 2008-11-07 10:25 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies