Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Karl Von Den Steinen

Pages: 1 2 replies

V

Karl Von Den Steinen was an explorer from Berlin who wrote tons of information about the Marquesan art and tattoo when he visit the archipel in 1897. He still is consider as a ressource for the explanation of art, and thanks to all his drawing and writing, the artists who forgot about their art when the religious put a tapu on it could do it again. He really helped the art resurection. He also collected mythologic stories and made a book out of it " Marquesanische Mythen ".
The more important part of his work was then writen when he got back to Berlin in a 3 tomes book « Die Marquesaner und ihre Kunst »(the marquesan and their art".

Now, thanks to "le musée de Tahiti et des iles - Te Fare Iamanaha", I can read about it in french for the first time, as all his books were never translated.
The next step is the english translation, though I'm sure you'll have it soon.

They already made 2 books out of 3 : The first one is all about the tattoo, with tons of information about what this lines means, what is this tiki face...and the second one about the primitive ornementation, and all the art.
This book is amazing, lots of drawing of the marquesan u'u (the war club), all the jewels, the weapons, the poi bowls, the tikis...simply a reference for everyone interested in marquesan art.
It can be sometimes hard to understand, as it's really writen in a ethnological and archeologic way, but it's really a reference to the style.

I'm sure all the carvers here would love it, that really gives you lots of idea for your next creation.

I was watching the '69 reprint of "Die Marquesaner und ihre Kunst" on Ebay but it is going to be way too pricey for me. http://tinyurl.com/b84mg (Check out those pictures! )

As an indicator, the same book can be purchased at Abe Books for $1956.01
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?tn=marquesaner&sortby=1

An English printing of this one would be quite welcome and certainly more affordable.

V

I guess. The french translation book was 40 euros.

Pages: 1 2 replies