Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Mele Kalikimaka to all my "Creating Tiki" bros & sistahs! What did "Tiki Santa" bring you this year?

Pages: 1 30 replies

I've got nothing to gripe about this year. Among other stuff, I got a Mr.Bali Hi Mug, some great books - "Oceanic Arts","Hawaiian Sculpture","Ring of Fire","Adorning the World: The Art of The Marquesan Islands", and a complete painting/easel, drawing, & brushes set. I never knew I could paint - still don't! What a great Christmas! I just want to send out the Holiday Spirit to all my Creating Tiki brethren (& sistren)!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua 2007-01-01 13:14 ]

Definitely at the top of the "Tiki Santa" list for this year:
Some new chisels. Little guys for detail work. Sweet. And eye protection. Safe.
A few aloha shirts, so I can look cool while carving. And, last, a tiki farm tiki mug made for hilo hattie.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Dec 26, 2005 6:26 AM

AA,

Happy Holidays to you too. Mrs. Gman got me a Kirby print. Bow down to ..... "The Chief"!

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-12-26 06:31 ]

Happy Holidays.... I received 5 Henry Taylor chisels, a tiki light string, a reciprocating saw, and two shirts from Hawaii, both with tikis on them. Quite the Christmas!!!

I got a rock!

On 2005-12-26 10:15, RevBambooBen wrote:
I got a rock!

I thought rocks were for halloween?

H
hewey posted on Mon, Dec 26, 2005 3:15 PM

I got a Kirby "The Chief" print, and I also got a Foamy ink and watercolor original! Woohoo! Also, I got a full set of good quality pastels and also some sketch pads. Looks like some more pastels are gonna happen!

I got the new "hot rods and pinups" book by photographer David Perry too. Not tiki, but tres cool!

Everyone laughs at me because I am different. I laugh at everyone else because they are all the same.

[ Edited by: hewey 2005-12-26 15:18 ]

B

Aloha all,
By far the BEST present was a visit from our son and daughter in law with news of a new grandchild being announced. Big happy surprize.
Second was this Foredom Recro carver for the flex shaft.

EVERY part on and Inside this handpiece is Easily obtainable and replaceable. It comes apart in seconds but is Very well built. It does not produce the powerful stroke of the Wecheer brand but will be WAY More reliable and has Plenty power for great detail Thanks ot my friend Jimmy Mooney for this jewel.
Other than that, aloha shirts and computer stuff.
HAppy Holidays all.

J

Bump.

Another year goes by... Well, I got an awesome chainsaw carving video! And a bowling ball!! :) No tools, though...

How 'bout you, Johnny?

happy Holidays all!

Amy

H
hewey posted on Tue, Dec 26, 2006 6:46 PM

I got a limited edition Von Franco hip flask in my favourite colour - purple :) Totally stoked with it

We also got an ice crusher thingy - ready for new years.

Rock like in crack ..... beats getting new 'briefs' every year !!!!!
On 2005-12-26 10:15, RevBambooBen wrote:
I got a rock!

A Hobart welder!

M

I got a radar detector that talks to you. (I really neeeed this) = leadfoot

Happy Holidays

Congradulations Benzart (GPawBenz)

Isle, glue is better for you

Mahalo

McTiki

As far as tiki carving goes...

And after only 2 years I've worn my old ipod out... my wonderful wife got me a new one of those. Music is a must when I'm carving :wink:

S

A new house...

V

Aloha all -

Lets see - Tiki-wize I got a great tiki t-shirt by Patagonia (of all people) and some AMAZING books on clay that I have been devouring! Also got a neat tiki-esque mask from Laos that is hanging on my wall and staring me down as I type.

Mele Kalikemaka!

VanTIki

I got 8 cans of 1-shot, reducer, brush box , 3 mack brushes, another how to pinstripe dvd and book, lee valley gift card. Looks like i am gonna put the chisels down for abit and start slinging paint.

T

Well I can't top Swanky's present, but I got a set of buck bros bench chisels

Which by the way, Coontiki (benzart) taught me how to sharpen!

They're pretty sharp!

gap

On 2006-12-27 10:33, Swanky wrote:
A new house...

Awwww... I got one of those too this fall. Didn't everyone? :wink:

But congrats Swanky! Now get started on that tiki bar! :)

MELE Kalikimaka!!
Glad to see everyone getting tiki related gifts. Tiki's rule.
I got a small chisel set from Lee Valley, and an "Oceanic Arts" book. The bummer is, I got a new place to live with the g-friend, and NO place to carve! I'll have to drive to my dad's house, where all my stuff is stored. Definately throws a brick into the gears. Already looking for a new place!!
:-?

M I C R O M O T O R. Hallelujah!

M
mieko posted on Thu, Dec 28, 2006 8:35 PM

Tiki Santa was great to me this year! I got a new workmate to carve on, I got a set of flexcuts (the 6 piece starter set, which gets me a great set of smaller stuff to use with my sculptors set that I had), some dental picks for small stuff.
I also got a Ukulele, a beautiful one from Costco - I never thought about playing one, but I saw this one at costco and wanted it. It's koa and abalone. :) It's been really fun to play with.

Of course I've also managed to pick up some wrist problems/carpal tunnel since I started carving, so I'm on somewhat of a break from carving.

H

Sis Hiltiki here. Santa was kind enough to bring me Flexicut carving tools, a few boxes. Let's hope I put them to good use. Santa also got me a few books recommended by TC Ohana.
Maori Art by Barrow
The Art of Maori Carving by Mead
Carved Histories by Neich
Sharpening Basics by Spielman
I am happy happy happy...:)

Santa was good to me this year (he must have had some misinformation). I got a new bandsaw, Flexcut chisels, Henry Taylor chisels, a nice resperator, The Book of Tiki (now I see what all the fuss was about), and to top it all off - a signed print from Thor!!!!

Oh yeah and a pair of flip-flops with a bottle opener built-in!

Now that I have some decent tools I guess I have to step up my carving.

On 2006-12-28 20:39, hiltiki wrote:
Sis Hiltiki here...

Duh!!!

Changed the title, Hil! :)

F

Santa brought me a Chainsaw, a new power tool pack (drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw, dustbuster, flashlight) Dremel stuff (sanding/grinding kit, Carving kit, plunge router and router bits) and a shp-vac to clean up afterwards. yeah for me, I just hope I can retain all of my fingers and limbs.

S

Oh, and I got a wake up call. My friend came over New Years who had helped at Coon Tiki with the tables. I showed him the bar and he says "which did you carve?" Um, uh...

I learned all the good stuff and then spent the entire summer using the earth gouge chisel known as a shovel instead. I hope next summer I get back at it. I have a nice open lanai and a work shop in the new house.

well santa brought me 200 bucks in dickblick gift cards....so santa just paid for a few new gouges and a whole mess of 1shot paint!!! wooohooooo...come on ups guy!

H

:) thank you.

Pages: 1 30 replies