Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Big Island of Hawaii, , HI (bar)

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

My wife and I are visiting the Big Island of Hawaii and are wondering if anyone can suggest any interesting tiki bars/places.

Thank you,

Tikitatt

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - posted in wrong forum - 2006-01-04 18:25 ]

B

[ Edited by: bifcozz 2007-02-09 21:56 ]

Thank you for the information. I looked up your profile and enjoy sailing and rum as well. In fact I'm taking a second course of Lido sailing in a few weeks. I would like to learn to race sailboats when I get to that section of the course. I also notice you give tours of your flower shop. Do we sign up for that or just show up?

Thank you for your help,

Tikitatt (John)

B

[ Edited by: bifcozz 2007-02-09 21:55 ]

It's not a bar, but I highly recommend visiting Pu'uhonua o Honaunau (the Place of Refuge). Lots of tikis on the premises, and the setting itself is very tranquil and serene. You can literally spend hours there just taking in the scenery--I can, anyway.

Also, be sure to explore the lobby and grounds of the King Kamehameha Hotel in Kailua-Kona. The hotel itself is a little worn around the edges, though for a place that hasn't been renovated since the mid-'70s it looks damn good, and it's full of tikis, masks, musical instruments and other artifacts, as well as some beautiful portraits of Hawaiian royalty. I had a pretty decent Mai Tai at the poolside bar, too.

T

Sounds great, my wife and I will take you up on the tour and rum Saturday March 4th. We have an appointment for tattoo's around 3pm that same day. Please let me know if that will be acceptable.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt (John)

There's a large Tiki in front of Hawaiian Camera on Palani road (center of town). There is a psuedo tiki bar at Jackie Reys in Pottery Terrace ( Great food- nice people-Out of town on Kuakini Highway about five or eight minutes.) I believe there was another small (again psuedo) Tiki bar on the grounds of the Kona Gardens (resort?)in Keauhou. Also in front of the King Kamehameha Hotel is the Ahuena Heiau- essentially the center of the (ancient) Hawaiian kingdom. There are some tikis out there also, as well as the Hale Lono (a reconstructed temple up on the heiau). I'm pretty sure there has to be a tiki bar up in Kohala (north of Kona) on one of the resorts. I have a good friend who works at the bamboo products warehouse here in town (he's known as Tiki J to anyone who knows him well- named thus because he makes tiki lamps. You can catch those at his work- Bamboo Too in the old industrial directly North of Palani road in town. They're on the net but I don't think the lamps are.) I will get back to you with locations of any tiki bars on the Kona side. Aloha- TLH

[ Edited by: T_lifehater 2006-01-07 00:30 ]

Oh shoot- and check out Huggos on the Rocks at sunset. Get there early and get a decent table. Cheesy bar by mainland standards and a half hearted attempt at "polynesienizing" the bar with bamboo products- but it's right on the water and has a great view of a beautiful sunset (I have yet to see an ugly sunset.) South end of town on Alii drive- just across from the South end of Coconut Grove shopping center.

So- going to Don the Beachcomber's tonight with my friend Tiki J and his girlfriend. I asked him where the Tiki Bars are up North and he looked like he wanted to slap me in the head because he sent me initially to The Kawaihae Seafood Bar (and grill?) a couple times, and they bought several tiki lamps from him and lots of bamboo products. My memory must be going. So anyhow- The Kawaihae Seafood Bar has really great pupus and entrees and is in a cool location about 39 miles North of Kona- across the road from Kawaihae Harbor. I cant believe I forgot that place- my girl and I went there a few times when she was living up in Waikaloa. The drive home is straight and I haven't seen Donkeys crossing the road in a long time (watch for goats though) but if you're drinking I'd reccomend getting a room up that way- the Hilton is a trip- a lot like going to disneyland- and the Outrigger (Marriot now?) is cool too. Both are near Anaehoomalu bay which is about the prettiest place ever and near Hapuna Beach which is probably the West side's nicest sand beach. I'll pry some more info out of him later- and dont forget to hit Kanaka Kava in the Coconut Grove Marketplace and get some Hawaiian grinds and a bowl of Kava and be sure to tell Zack and Jay Aloha. Aloha- TLH

T

Well,

I can tell you about Uncle Billy's in Hilo, old school Hawaiian all the way, but I had the worst possible dining experience IN MY LIFE there. So, I would say, visit the place, but don't eat there. And the hotels are supposedly bad too. Theres one in Hilo and one in Kona. Otherwise, there is Tiki everywhere on the Big Island, just not so much in the form of bars, but the actual Culture.

Tiki Places to visit....

Pu'uhonua o Honaunau aka The Place of refuge...This is a must see....Tiki's everywhere.

Black Sand Beach....Yes, the sand is actually black

You MUST go see the active lava flow, and spend some time in Volcano National Park...DO try to stay in the Volcano House or at least have the breakfast buffet there...awesome.

Kailua Kona has lots of Tiki restaurants....like I said, Tiki is everywhere on the big Island.

I totally concur. Present day Kona has the best food it's ever had. And Uncle Billy is a totally cool guy that ran out of steam. I run into Uncle all the time at the lumberyard- he's probably nearing 90 years old and all bent up and he's one of the old guard- he hires the biggest hacks to do his construction work because they're nephews or part of the extended family (which goes on infinitely in Kona). That's totally cool but funny, because he can afford to do it really well- he's just loyal to da bruddahs.

Yeah- Don't stay in the hotel unless you're absolutely desperate (The king Kam and the Royal Kona are right down the street and way better suited all the way around- beach front with Buffets and pool bars and stuff.) and for sure don't expect much from Uncles restaurant. But if Uncle Billy runs into you and you say hey he'll totally stop and talk story and check you out and ask you how your trip is and where you've been and where you're going. He's always done that- that's just the way he is.

Don the Beachcombers has plastic tikis. Lots of them. Plastic bamboo too.
The manager seemed like he wanted to be somewhere else. Wherever they imported him from, perhaps? I dunno.
The japanese Aunty made us feel at home and loved my little bug prince. She was super nice and gets big hugs and honehones.
Our waitress did her best and got tipped accordingly- FOB but really super and helpful and very kind. She deserves better support from the staff. She ruled in the face of adversity and the restaurant could use like twenty of her.
The hostess seemed terrified of everything- especially virtually anything that is standard fare in the service industries here- and I think when she went to look for a table for us she thought we had asked her to grow a tree and build one.

The vegetables were rubbery and I thought they were trying to make us leave they took so long to offer us cocktails.

On the upside: There was a nice Ku in the middle of the dining room. There were some nice tahitien carvings on the front of a bus station. Oh- our waitress (Who ruled and tried her best and was totally game)reigns supreme in the anals of history.
Winston (the bartender- who actually I know from the King Kam and is a totally cool guy and came and took my boy to look at the aquarium while I ate my dinner) was a huge help and totally a boon to the hotel. What a nice, humble and polite guy- makes me wish some of that would rub off.
The filipino Bushelp guy was super nice and really cool and made us feel like we hadn't suddenly been transported to New York city or LA or something.

All in all we thought the food was pretty OK- the nice prime rib and pupus made up for the shitty fish that tasted funky and the rubbery vegetables. We're used to some pretty bad service here so it was no surprise. Plastic tikis? I suppose the management wouldn't fund wood ones- again- understandable (to some- Tiki J was really put out.) All in all I'd say put up the money and go North, my son. Or just make your own LUau type atmosphere at any place in town that is really friendly and cool and will let you.

If you want something really touristy and kitschy and like that- do Dons or go on the booze cruise.

Kanikapila on my lanai about every other weekend. Just sayin'.

[ Edited by: T_lifehater 2006-01-10 00:56 ]

Oh yeah- four adults and two kids with two pupus and two beers- $200 with tip. Hope that helps one way or the other. Aloha- TLH

Well shoot! If you're seeking The Jungle Ride at disneyLand This is so definitely your spot!!! aloha.

Thanks for everyones help. I've copied eveyone's info and will be sure to check it out.

Mahalo,

John

TS

So I know Tonga Tom and Sherriyaki are up at Waikoloa right now. I recommend the Seafood Bar in Kawaihae just off the Akoni Pule Hwy (270). It's kind of near if you took the long way to Waimea. I got a great Tiki T-shirt from them. The ambiance is not full Tiki but is pretty cool in the respect that there is a strong nod toward Tiki. James Teitelbaum said something about a Hawaii trip in TIKI ROAD TRIP. He made note that Tiki Bars in Hawaii are sort of redundant. So there are not many around. This one is watered down Tiki and still worth the visit. T_lifehater mentioned the locatin and white silos. The place is right across from the harbor and some industrial stuff. It is not on 270 as the map programs want you to think. I missed it the first time and went way up the highway before I realized something was amiss. Personally I think the view of the harbor and silos add to the character of the location. I dig industrial structures and architecture. So if you are near there...check'em out brah.
Tiki Slob

Pages: 1 15 replies