Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Adios 2005... and good riddance!!

Pages: 1 7 replies

J

What a shitty year 2005 has been... I know my list of hardships may sound petty compared to what some have had to endure this year but I wanted to start a topic where we can cast this p.o.s. year off in true style!

I'll begin...

Things were rolling along rather well until June... in June my wife's position at work was eliminated and she was informed that she would be unemployed in a month. But luckily after collecting unemployment for nearly 2 months she found a drastically less-paying job only 3 minutes from home. I guess it worked out for the best.

On June 26th I got into a serious accident in our 10 month old car with 9,000 miles on the odometer. I was coming home from work at 1:00 AM and I had this a-hole on a motorcycle wipe-out directly in front of me on a narrow 2 lane bridge. It was like a scene from an action movie... this bike sliding across the pavement, sparks flying, directly into the front end of my innocent car. The rider flew through the air and impacted the concrete bridge with his head all the while I'm doing whatever I can to steer clear with the brakes locked-up. As if that wasn't enough I was immediately rear-ended by a damn Dodge Ram pick-up that was following too damn close to begin with! Well to make a long story short... the drunken asshole on the Harley's insurance company paid to repair the car. I wanted them to total it but they didn't... 4 months later I get the car back and discover another problem... the fuel line had been ruptured and they replaced it. So after that major repair I totaled up the total cost - $14,000 (enough to have totaled the car) The body shop did a great job repairing the car but it makes me wanna puke every time I have to look at it! Oh, the guy on the motorcycle spent a week in Shock Trauma and was eventually released to a rehab center... I was relieved I hadn't killed the guy.

On July 10th my wife's grandmother was rushed to the hospital. On July 11th my wife's grandfather was rushed to the hospital. In early August my wife's grandmother died. Two weeks later her grandfather died. It was without a doubt the saddest summer I've ever had.

In October, my daughter 2 weeks after her 1st birthday, broke her leg while riding down the sliding board at the playground with my wife. She had to spend a month in a cast and to be honest with you... it sucked! She was just getting to the stage where she was learning to walk and to watch her pulling that damn cast around broke my heart. Luckily there were no real complications with the break and she's healed nicely!

Now to cap it off, coming home from work on December 10th I get crashed into by a stupid ass college kid making a blind turn directly into the front end of my parent's Volvo which I've been driving since the accident in June. Luckily this accident wasn't as serious as the one 6 months before and it was actually kind of refreshing to be able to drive away from the accident. But the total cost for repairing this five year old car with a blue book value of $6,000 is $3,800.

We've got 4 days left and they can't go by quick enough! I eagerly await 2006 and I'm going to drink myself into a stupor to forget this horrible year that was!

D

Wow, man that sure does suck. Hate to say it, but you made my year look a helluva lot better after I read that. So..thanks, I guess. At least you're still in one piece...physically that is. I hope things turn around for you in '06 and that your daughter is getting around better. Maybe after all that you'll win the lottery.

Personally '05 was a better year for me than last year and certainly better than '02 or '03. 2003 sucked! I barely worked and was feeling totally betrayed. After completing the 'ten year plan' to earn my degree years before and working my ass off for all of the 90s and the better part of the early 21st century, I found myself virtually jobless in '03. Things have gotten better and I can only hope, at best, for a repeat of '05 next year. If I'm lucky, and the operative word here...LUCKY, '06 will be twice as good.

Hope everybody's '06 is better than '05 regardless if it was good or bad.

johntiki;

Sorry to hear of all your misadventures. Our paths crossed only once in 2005, for our small gathering at Vera's White Sands. It looks like Vera's was truly an oasis with all the activity happening with you this year.

I hope 2006 brings better luck, and more tiki gatherings.

Vern

2005 was just sort of ehhhh for me. It sounds like '05 took a real crap on tons of other people around here. John, and everyone affected by hurricanes. I say good riddance! May everyone's '06 be super awesome with loads of tiki adventures!

glad to hear you are past the tribulations, john ~ now we know "where is johntiki!" here's to a great 06 :drink: :drink: :drink:

B

Wow man, if you survived all that, you should be a shoe-in for anything else. Look for a better, milder, calmer year in '06. The starz have spoken and unless you are in Hurricane territory, you be fine!!

TM

Chin up John, as I recall you got a couple of Grail-Type mugs this year (or was that 2004)....can't be all bad, you're still breathing...
Happy New Year Bro, hope 2006 es muy bien!

Yeah 2005 is one of the shittiest years I've ever lived through myself. I'm not going to go into the details, because I think I've put enough people through it, but it's been one trial or tribulation after another for me. Not to mention for JohnTiki, all the poor victims of all the hurricanes in the gulf, the various earthquakes in the Middle East and Indian subcontinent.

Although much of the burdens I'm going through will be carried over to 2006, I hope 2006 will show some improvement. I wouldn't wish my last last several months on anyone. Up yours, 2005!

Pages: 1 7 replies