Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: What to do with leftover cranberry relish!

Pages: 1 4 replies

So I made about three cups of cranberry relish which consists of a bag of cranberries, an orange and some sugar.

With plenty of leftovers in the fridge a fish float lit up in my head. I could make a drink with this stuff! So I hauled out the blender last night and made myself a new drink. I added rum, ginger ale and orange curacao. Also ice to make it nice and slushy.

2 heaping tablespoons cranberry relish(recipe on back of ocean spray fresh cranberries bag)
1/2 cup crushed ice
4oz ginger ale
3/4 oz orange curacao
2oz rum(I used white)

Use your discretion, I didn't measure any of this stuff so don;t be too worried about specifics.
Blend like crazy!

Very tasty, I highly recommend it if you're also stuck with 2.9 cups of leftover cranberry relish.

That sounds really yummy! I love cranberries, I bet their tartness works really well and gives it a unique flavor.

K

As an alternative, you could also put the relish into a half full bottle of vodka, shake, let it sit for about 4 weeks shaking occasionally...

..and then filter, add sugar syrup at one part to three (or so.. it's to taste really) and voila!

You've got cranberry-orange liqueur!

The cocktail sounds cool, but my family uses pecans in the relish. Not sure it would be all that good in the blender with the pecans.

Ahu

You know what Ahu, I used vodka in the drink, not rum! I have quite a bit extra, I'm going to give that liqueur a try. Thanks!

If anyone's wondering, the cranberry relish consisted of one bag of fresh cranberries, one whole orange(minus seeds) cut into eighths both put through a food processor or food grinder, then 3/4 cup of sugar is added. It's become my favorite turkey accompaniment.

T

Tikiwahine wrote:

If anyone's wondering, the cranberry relish consisted of
one bag of fresh cranberries, one whole orange(minus seeds)
cut into eighths both put through a food processor or food
grinder, then 3/4 cup of sugar is added. It's become my
favorite turkey accompaniment.

Try it with an apple or two (Red Delicious work well) thrown
in as well. Also, we prefer to make the relish a week or so
before the holiday. That allows the flavors to "blend". We
have ALWAYS used an old-fashioned hand food grinder.

Pages: 1 4 replies