Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

I'm curious to see how this one ends...

Pages: 1 10 replies

DZ

For your perusal:

Frankoma War God & Widowmaker mugs

I sincerely apopogize if any of y'all were watching this one and planning on swooping in with a last second bid, but, really... Doncha think a $2500.00 opening bid is a little, well, refuckingdiculous? I know these mugs have always been in high demand, but I think it's the seller who's high at this point, considering that the auction is not for the 4 mugs shown, but just for one of each. And I don't care for the "Widowmaker" at all - it ain't tiki, it's an INDIAN fer Chrissakes! At least the Ren Clark 'Headhunter' mug came from a tiki establishment. The text is worth a read - obviously the seller has done a bit o' research on them, but, well, if you've somehow got a boatload of post-Christmas cash burning a hole in your pocket - good luck & happy bidding!

The same seller wants $2000.00 for a piece of lint that looks like the pope. Maybe they are a little crazy....

Shoot, I have a Frankoma War God mug that is my holy grail...but I think I would be able to part with it for $2,5000! Actually, I would part with it for less, not much though :D

i'm passing on the mugs, but i'll be bidding on the lint! :D

M

*I sincerely apopogize if any of y'all were watching this one and planning on swooping in with a last second bid, *

You sumbich, Doc Z, now's I gots to fine me two-thousand five-hundred and one dollars! My PO ain't gonna like it, but looks like I has to go back to running my cock-fighting ring. It's messy, but the spectacle does well up here for some reason.

Those War God mugs were mine...at least until the last 4 seconds. I was high-effin'-bidder on those beasts several years ago. The seller beat me, somewhere north of $420, if I recall. It is my all-time fave mug. Got sniped, dagnabbit! I hates snipers, especially the one back in Hue, circa '68, whose grimy slug left me with an aluminum plate in my head. Starting to have flashbacks, must go watch "First Blood".

I think the opening bid is fine, $25 is a nice starting point*, it should get the bids going. Now, the ole show "X" amount of an item and then explain there is only one or whatever lesser amount than "X" shown actually for sale is just shinola in my book. Come on folks, it's borderline bait and switch. You obviously have a camera, try taking a picture of only what you are offering. The only thing worse, well actually there's lots worse, are sellers of clothing that show the article being worn. Cheesy Roller Skating Crust, why not just show the food in someone's mouth then! Oh well, end of rant...for about 35 seconds.

Nice mugs, I'd say they are worth around half that amount or so for the two. The War God Rotary has gone for close to a grand, the marked Widowmaker a bit less, these are eBay bids mind you. Maybe the seller gets lucky, I wish him good luck as he will need it, and he gets a bid. The Koalaman has no bananas today, too much spent on WW II art and Navy Grogs at London's Vic's. Perhaps a wild and crazy Frankoma collector will snatch them up, or maybe just a crazy one.

Now, off to wrangle up some fighting cocks.

midnite

• Holy Bat Guano, Robin! That seller is higher than the crowd at a Dead show. That kind of cash will get you a real good time at London's Vic's...long time, sailor.

0 bids hahahahaha

OL

Speaking of high prices, what would you think of bidding $3700 for this carved tiki? I mean, it does include a free puka shell necklace and a monkeypod "medicine bowl". Is this really a valuable gen-you-wine antique, or is the seller just dreaming?

e-bay

i would say that if the seller found it on a construction site in hawaii, STAY AWAY! :)

F
foamy posted on Thu, Jan 5, 2006 8:51 AM

That auction is obnoxious. Geez.

[ Edited by: foamy 2006-01-05 08:54 ]

M

On a related note:

Dos tazas del dios de la guerra

I think this one has a chance of landing a bid, even with the bids starting at $500. I just don't go for the high opening bids, always a turn off in my book. That, and reserve prices. Make it an auction. Let it go, give the people a chance! Start them bids low and it always attracts more bidders, always.

Have at 'em you passionate monkeys and Frankoma collectors...

uncle midnite

T

Pages: 1 10 replies