Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tikis Stolen in LongBeach CA

Pages: 1 12 replies

Aloha,

I had put two tikis on consignment at a store in Long Beach, when I called today to pick them up, the store owner informed me that EVERYTHING was taken from the store, including all art that was on consignment. Totally cleaned out. Now, I did sign all kinds of paperwork that said the store (and everything in it) was insured, but I don't know what the future holds as far as compensation is concerned and when or if I will ever get it. Needless to say, I'm a bit pissed.

So, I ask all my tiki central friends to keep an eye out at swap meets and the like for these tikis becuase I want to get them back:

Tangaroa

Marquesian Tattoo

They both are about 2 feet tall, about 3/4 of a foot thick and carved from mexican fan palm. Both have been stained a dark walnut color and have a shiney protective clear coat.

If you do see them, please feel free to contact me (Jim) on my cell phone: 310 971 5068

Thank you

B

Damn, WHY does that sound so suspiceous? Just the artwork taken?.Either way I would be pissed too..CHeck with the Chamber of Commerce and see if this guy has had any other "Thefts", and push the insurance thing, He owes you for Your Art.

T

Sorry to hear that. I know the feeling; crime is crazy bad this time of year!

My home was burglarized last Xmas (it was devastating), however I truly do believe that my Tiki's gave the burglar bad mojo, and he was caught in a high-speed pursuit, and is now on trial for over ten felonies (including carjacking with a weapon), and it is likely he will get over ten years in state prison.

So, chances are the scum that stole your tiki's will be suffering soon!

Don't F*ck with the owner of a Tiki!!!! Jesus forgives, Tiki's get revenge! :wink:

Hey tikiman, I hope the tikis do get the last laugh, but we'll see.

Ben - something is fishy about all of this, but time will tell. I think this is shaping up to be an interesting story, I'll keep ya posted. Apparently, the entire store was cleared out.

Thank you very much TC for the positive mana (both on and off TC), I do sincerely appreciate that

H

Man, that's rotten! I've put the word out on Humu Kon Tiki. What's the name of the store they were stolen from?

Jim, that blows. Weren't those some of your early pieces that you finally decided to sell? I hope someone spots them.

Jim-
That totally Sucks Ass!!! Those Tiki's look beautiful!! I hope the tiki stealing bastards pay big time!!!

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2005-12-31 10:00 ]

TB

I'm in Long Beach Too. I would love to know where you had them on consignment, because this situation sounds strangely familiar. Hope you get them back ASAP!

Tiki Bar - email me your # at [email protected] or PM it to me or call my cell 310 971 5068 and we'll talk. did you have a vintage rattan bar and table on consignment?

Aaron, Spermy, Humu - thank you. I hope they do get spotted or returned to me

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2005-12-31 20:58 ]

POLYNESIAC, do you have a contract with the shop owner? (Written?) If it's verbal, write down the details of it while they are fresh in your mind.

Beginning next week the amount you can ask for in California Small Claims Court is $7500.00

It was 5K...I don't know what you have there, I hope it's not more than that.

Write a demand letter to the business owner, include the contract info, and CC yourself detailing exactly what you had there. Also demand to know who his insurance carrier is, as you may need to name them too.

If you've not been paid, or worked out something by the time specified in your demand letter, go to this website and fill out an SC100

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/smallclaims/scforms.htm#start

fill it out, file it in Small Claims Court (Part of the state superior court system now) Get a court date conviniant to yourself...have it served to the business owner

Process servers work best, but they can charge between 40.00 and 150.00

You can have a pal serve it for free, just make certain they fill out the "Proof of Service" form correctly and file it correctly in the Small Claims court in the jurisdicion where you and this bastard entered into the agreement.

Be certain when filing, to file against the business owner, not a maneger...if the business is incorporated, you will need to find the "Agent for Serive of Process" which is part of the articles of incorporation. (You can find those on the Secretary of States Website)

If you can work it out yourself and make the guy realize you mean business, everybody will benefit. If he has been honest with you, the insurance company should pay you what you deserve.

It's possible that if it goes to court, the jist of the argument will be proving the value of the carvings. Be ready with "comps" of works of simialr quality and skill to prove to the Judicial Officer that the amount you are asking for is not some ploy on your part. (They honestly might not realize the value of hand made art)

Be honest, and don't exagerate.

You may get nothing...you may get half...but chances are from what you described, you should be awarded the the percentage of the sale price you had agreed to with the shop owner.

No Attorneys are allowed in Small Claims Court, so don't let anybody intimidate you if they try...it' just you and them.

Hopefully you won't have to do any of this, but that's the process.

Good Luck...Happy Hogmanay

Way to bring it, Gigantalope!

Also, don't wait too long for filing and service because you don't want the owner to skip out. If the owner defaults on rent, you may not have a forwarding adress (and one cannot really serve a PO Box). Maybe the building owner or leasing agent might help, but this issue is best avoided.

You cannot serve the Complaint yourself.

M

I also live in LB. What's the name of the consignment shop???

Thank you very much chris and gigan for the free law advice - that is something I know very little about. I hope it does not come to that. I'm all about keeping things as simple and easy as possible, but we all know sometimes it's very hard to do that.

I just want to make it clear that I am not accusing the owner of the store of any wrongdoings, I simple posted this because I have no idea where the tikis went and I would rather have them returned to me and sold to someone who truly wants them, rather than rotting away somewhere unappreciated. Being compensated by an insurance company would be fine, but I would rather have them back.

MTK - check your PM, bro

Pages: 1 12 replies