Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New "Moai" Tiki Makau carving! For your viewing Pleasure!

Pages: 1 0 replies

KK

Aloha again Brudah's & sistah's of TC!
Mahalo for all the kind words from everyone on my previous posts! Got my okole planted firmly to this great website! So, here's another one of my custom "Tiki" makau pendants...
You all know who dis buggah is! Thats right, A little Moai (2-1/2"x1-1/2") from Rapa Nui!
This makau features a stylized ancient "Samoan" style barb and is made from The very prized & rare Stellar Sea Cow bone!

The sea cow is an extinct manatee that used to live in the waters of the Pacific northwest, Alaska and all across the Bering strait.Some 200 some odd years ago they were discovered by the Haouli sailors & seamen and they were extinct 27 years after that. The sea cow lost its ability to dive over time, thus losing its flippers which became like small little hands that couldnt propel the sea cow underwater. So, it lived on the surface feeding on kelp and with no natural predators, it became an easy target for the hungry sailors.

One sea cow could feed a boat of 30 men for a month and the meat was supposed to taste ono! So the poor buggahs never stood a chance and over 200 years later, their bones still wash up on the arctic beaches...
This material is fairly soft for bone, but it carves & polishes up beautifully and the spirit of the once docile, massive "man of the sea" lives on in this Moai Tiki makau!

Mahalo for viewing and I look forward to the story gonna be talked!

Malama Pono!!!

For miki'oi Authentic Hawaiian Makau, check out my website! You wont find mo bettah brah! http://www.cabanillamakau.com

[ Edited by: kaha ki'i 2005-12-30 18:51 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies