Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Pages: 1 20 replies

Name:Fry's Electronics
Type:store
Street:3600 Sepulveda Boulevard
City:Manhattan Beach
State:CA
Zip:90266
country:USA
Phone:(310) 364-3797
Status:operational

Description:
Fry's Tahitian-themed Electronics Store with lots of tikis.

Here are some pics I took earlier this year of the interior of the Manhattan Beach Fry's:

:down: Tiki posed in front of the windows overlooking the interior courtyard

:down: Another tiki within the courtyard itself

:down: Kiribati Islander suit of armor & weapons

Sabu

H

Thanks so much for posting these! I went there once with the intention of popping in to get photos. As soon as I'd turned into the parking lot, I knew I'd made a mistake -- the cars in the lot were bumper-to-bumper, and it took a looooooooooooong time just to get out of the lot again.

Yes. The lot is a nightmare! Made for a bank or a restaurant, but NOT a crowded electronics store. Park on a nearby street if you can.

Sabu

Fry's has got to be the most bizarre retail experience I have ever encountered. Has anyone here ever worked there?

T

Ooof.

You people are up late!

Great pix Sabu!

Most Frys' stores has its own unique theme. Here is a list of the themes, per store:

http://www.frys.com/hisframe.html

Do you suppose they sell Trader Vic Mai Tai mix next to the motherboards?

More Fry's pictures!

A

On 2005-12-31 13:58, tikipedia wrote:
Most Frys' stores has its own unique theme.

Well if that's true then the theme for the San Diego store must be crowded industrial warehouse chic. :P

Man, I really wish that they would open up that Tiki Garden in the middle of the store so that people can sit out there and hangout. It's so cool...Evreytime I go there, I look through the windows, and wish I could go out there.

I Love this Frye's.

On 2008-04-25 10:00, tikiyaki wrote:
Man, I really wish that they would open up that Tiki Garden in the middle of the store so that people can sit out there and hangout. It's so cool...Evreytime I go there, I look through the windows, and wish I could go out there.

I Love this Frye's.

The door was open yesterday and they've got benches out there. You need to buy some blank CD's and huge bag of Beef Jerky soon so you can go check it out.

On 2008-04-25 10:28, Bora Boris wrote:

On 2008-04-25 10:00, tikiyaki wrote:
Man, I really wish that they would open up that Tiki Garden in the middle of the store so that people can sit out there and hangout. It's so cool...Evreytime I go there, I look through the windows, and wish I could go out there.

I Love this Frye's.

The door was open yesterday and they've got benches out there. You need to buy some blank CD's and huge bag of Beef Jerky soon so you can go check it out.

REEEEAAAALLLYYYYY...Cool.....I need to boogie on down there.

JB



Great Pictures,I like the sepia color, and too think this is at a Fry's Electronics store....
Maybe Fry's will start serving mai tai's out on the lanai?? Looks better than a few "Tiki" bars I've seen...
Mahaloz...

T

Does anyone know who carved those tikis ? They're very old school looking, and I like the fact that they're unfinished and worn looking. Also, no giant teeth...a good thing always in my book. :)

On 2009-05-20 08:50, tikiyaki wrote:
Does anyone know who carved those tikis ? They're very old school looking, and I like the fact that they're unfinished and worn looking. Also, no giant teeth...a good thing always in my book. :)

As far as I know, the theme-ing of all the Fry's stores was provided by the talented model makers at I.L.M. up in Marin County.

It is too bad that nobody was able to take pictures of the Volcano Island with its villages and running Banana Train while it was still in good condition in the late 90s. Its detail, with its villages and huts and natives, eclipsed any Tiki Bar diorama ever built. Only Hai Kai came close, later, with his cabinet of wonders made for last year's Hukilau.

...from a couple of days ago.

OK, thanks Joe. Now you just need me to light it properly. :D

A nice big soft box right over the top of it would help a lot. And then some individual sun spots, with half CTO. ...and a good dusting! :)

JB

On 2009-05-20 12:36, bigbrotiki wrote:
OK, thanks Joe. Now you just need me to light it properly. :D

A nice big soft box right over the top of it would help a lot. And then some individual sun spots, with half CTO. ...and a good dusting! :)

Now we're talkin'!

A

That diorama is killer!!!

Pages: 1 20 replies