Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Any info on this item??

Pages: 1 4 replies

K
Kono posted on Sun, Jan 1, 2006 5:43 PM

I won two of these on ebay a few months ago. They're obviously some sort of home ceramic project as they vary too much in size to be mass produced, plus they had a hideous paint job, light blue with dark blue sparkly bits. :o I bought them with the intention of turning one of them into a lamp, which I did, and the other one I just sanded down and painted, maybe it too will one day become a lamp.

ANYWAY...I don't always put two and two together right away, and weeks later I'm looking at some Tiki Gardens stuff I have and by gum my ceramic tiki guys look to kissin' cousins of Lono from Tiki Gardens! I had assumed that they were just some old fanciful take on tiki style (much like the stuff we see at Spencers, Target etc today) but it really appears that the TG Lono was the inspiration.

Apologies if this scan was made by a TCer. I had it saved on my HD and I don't know who to credit.

His appearance has been altered quite a bit, mostly it seems to make him a little more fierce looking with the sharp teeth and more furrowed brow but I'm sure that Lono was the primary inspiration for this mold.

Another pic of Lono for comparison:

Am I way off base here, just imagining the similarities?

Anyone else have one?

HOK

I won one also on ebay back in September, seller nightrain56. Looks like plaster. Mine has stress cracks on the reverse side across the neck line and elbows. It has a muddy brown/ black painted finish. Brothers from another mother??

Hey Kono,
Interesting figure. He also looks a lot like the tiki from this Chin Tiki menu
Aloha,
:tiki:

Here is one I recieved from a close friend. The face is highly detailed in moko and the side reads,"1960 RICHTER". You may want to do a search on that.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Jan 2, 2006 3:39 PM

Huh, Freddy...yours is intriguing. Same body but yours has a definite Maori style face. Much more detail in the face as well. I wonder how many of these different tiki molds were made. Mine was probably designed later by someone just trying to make his figurine mold a little bit different.

Pages: 1 4 replies