Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

1954 film noir, HELL'S HALF ACRE; Don the Beachcomber is "technical advisor"

Pages: 1 2 replies

T

I have this film on VHS and recently re-watched it. Don the Beachcomber is credited as "technical advisor," probably mostly regarding the set of the nightclub, "The Polynesian Paradise" which boasts nice mid-century Polynesian pop atmospherics (though no tiki carvings, at least not that I could detect). There is good content on this film on IMDB.com, so I won't replicate it here but rather suggest a look-see there for those inclined. In short, there is booziness, naughtiness, and danger, all taking place in the red-light districts of mid-century Honolulu. I think that puts it in the broad category of "movies tikiphiles tend to like."

[ Edited by: Thomas 2006-03-22 10:01 ]

H
Hamo posted on Tue, May 1, 2018 10:18 PM

Bump.

Just watched this on Blu-ray tonight, and I’ll echo everything Thomas said. The noir story is interesting, and the mid-century shots of Hawaii are wonderful. Of course, I was excited to see the “Don the Beachcomber” credit, but I was also happy to see all in one place some supporting actors that I like: Elsa Lanchester, Jesse White, Philip Ahn, and Luke Keye. In the end, I enjoyed it and think others here will, too.

I have the lobby card with the scene that was shot inside the Don the Beachcomber restaurant.

And the lobby cared for the movie.

DC

Pages: 1 2 replies