Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

new tiki bar in chicago?? anyone know anything about this...

Pages: 1 6 replies

happy new year all...been outta the loop lately but a number of folks have approached me and asked if I knew of a new tiki bar in brookfield called "the sandbar"........any thoughts?? does anyone know of this place or been there?? I know it's real new, probably a couple months old, but how did this one slip passed the radar?? where you been , tikibars, you're supposed to be up on all this......

I found a couple reviews of it Here.

You could also ask the Windy City Islanders, they played there on December 17th & New Years Eve.

And speaking of the Windy City Islanders, does anyone know about the place they're playing on January 21st, 2006, The Aku Tiki Room at the Andris Waunee Farm Restaurant, 2314 US Hwy 34, Kewanee Il. 61443? Kewanee is somewhere out towards the Quad Cities.

Been there a couple of times. I don't know that I would call it a Tiki bar per say. It's kinda got a retro 50's thing going on as far as decor, but they do have some tiki stuff scattered about. They serve food (which is very good) & do have a pretty extensive liquor menu, including some fairly wicked tropical libations.
TTFN

On 2006-01-03 08:57, freddiefreelance wrote:
I found a couple reviews of it Here.

You could also ask the Windy City Islanders, they played there on December 17th & New Years Eve.

And speaking of the Windy City Islanders, does anyone know about the place they're playing on January 21st, 2006, The Aku Tiki Room at the Andris Waunee Farm Restaurant, 2314 US Hwy 34, Kewanee Il. 61443? Kewanee is somewhere out towards the Quad Cities.

The Windy City Islanders were actually at Chef Shangri-La on new Years Eve....as far as the Aku Tiki Room, it has been there for a long time although it was closed for quite a while. Some friends we know who live out that way have been there recently. They sent us some photos and the place looks pretty much the same as it did before they closed some years back. We will be there in the next couple of weeks or so, & will have a full report and photos

thanks for the updates folks...james t. has been to the aku tiki room and I belive it's mentioned in the tiki road trip book.....nice to see them up and running again.

T

Sorry to let you down, Tipsy!
haha.

Just got back from a couple of weeks working in Europe.

Of course I found some time to investigate no less than eight Tiki sites in Spain.

So, alas, I haven't have time to run out to Sand Bar yet. Frankly, it doesn't seem like a place I am in a hurry to get to.... but I'll poke my head in eventually.

The Aku Tiki Room in Kewanee, IL is definitely worth a peek.

I have beem there several times and am quite a fan. As Tipsy points out, it is reviewed in Tiki Road Trip, and also in my "Tiki Town: Chicago" article in Tiki Magazine (and also on the crusty old TBRP for those of you who still bother poking through the cobwebs on that site).

The place is not, and hasn't ever been closed up for any appriciable length of time. The fact that they are only open on weekends may have lead some visitors to believe they are closed altogether, but this is not the case.

They did do some recent remodeling (all for the better, based on the conversations I had with the owners prior to the remodeling), and were shut briefly during this process - for just a few months.

Say hi to the owner, Carol, when you stop by, she's a really nice lady.

Also loo for the really cool mid century modern church on the road to the Aku Tiki Room! Mondrian mosaics!

[ Edited by: tikibars 2006-01-22 10:31 ]

On 2006-01-03 09:11, BambooLodge wrote:
The Windy City Islanders were actually at Chef Shangri-La on new Years Eve....

Yeah, that was an Oopsy, I misread their homepage.

Pages: 1 6 replies