Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

software suggestions to transfer vinyl to cd???

Pages: 1 26 replies

Ijust bought a mac powerbook this last year and have a lot of vintage hawaiian vinyl that I would like to get onto cds so I can play them in my home bar. Something free? Something really user friendly? Something that can clean up those pops and clicks?

mahalo

tiki junkman

M

You can use Toast (http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/index.jhtml) .Not exactly free, but you can find it cheaper on ebay. Worked for me.

Your best bet is to buy the USB record player that I believe is available from Urban Outfitters for about $135. That skips the whole wiring process and worries about grounding and whatnot. I believe it also comes with the appropriate hardware.

-g-

that would be the ion usb turntable, which i saw at best buy as well. it seems perhaps the easiest approach for plug-and-play, but for buying a long-term high-quality turntable i personally would wait for a better usb option to turn up or buy a traditional turntable and patch the audio out from the stereo receiver to my computer soundcard line in. but i'm by no means an expert on LP to digital, there are many experts here on TC i'm sure.

T

Pick two: cheap, good, easy.

Your best bet is a program called Peak, which will allow you to record the audio, edit the crap from the beginning and ends, and declick/decrackle the files. Toast, as rocommended above, is a great CD burning package, but can't do the audio editing you need.

There's a competing package called Spark XL that I like better than Peak, but I hear it is out of production. The declick/decrackle in it is better than Peak, IMHO.

You will also need a turntable preamp, which is a box that takes the turntable signal and boosts it up to what we call "line level". If you have an old stereo receiver with a turntable input, this will do. If you ever wonered why the tape deck and CD don't work if you plug them into the turntable input, and vice versa, this is why. The turntable needs a preamp boost to line level, and the CD player or cassette deck, or VCR or DVD's audio outputs are all already at line level.

Then you will need some sort of Firewire or USB box that will accept the line level signal from the turntable preamp or stereo reciever's output and convert it into digital data (this is caled an A/D converter), then shoot it down the Firewire pipe to the computer.

All of the boxes I can recommend are pro-quality, probably out of your budget, but I know there are consumer models out there that will do this stuff cheaply. I think a company called ART makes a box with the turntable preamp AND the A/D converters in the same box for about $100.

Just remember, you get what you pay for.

IZ

Hi,

I've had a lot of luck with Analog Ripper (for OSX). $20. It allows you to cut up the tracks real easily, and exports them to ITunes in the format you want when done. Here's the link:

http://homepages.which.net/~i.mann/TAR/Ripper.html

Assuming you have a turntable and receiver already, all you need to do is run a chord from your tape out on the back of your receiver to your computer. You'll need and RCA to 1/8" coverter to make it fit. If you get the Analog Ripper, it comes with all the directions.

As far as the pops and scratches, just let 'em go. That's part of vinyl, and you stop hearing them after awhile. I think those "cleaning" programs eliminate too much sound, or make the recordings muddy. A better option is to clean your records real well. Those wet-vac machines are sensational, the records really come to life, and I built one myself from parts found at a thrift store for $30. Here's a link to a blog that has the original instructions. http://www.grynx.com/index.php/projects/record-cleaning-machine/

Good luck!

I, Z

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2006-01-04 06:19 ]

T

On 2006-01-04 06:11, I, Zombie wrote:
Assuming you have a turntable and receiver already, all you need to do is run a chord from your tape out on the back of your receiver to your computer. You'll need and RCA to 1/8" coverter to make it fit.

I am not sure if his powerbook has analog inputs?
In any case, the 1/8" jack and the AD converter that exists on the inside end of ANY built-in 1/8" jack on a home computer (Mac or PC) is pretty crappy quality. This is designed for consumer grade applications, and does not have nearly the specs to make an even marginally acceptible digital recording.

However - the advice that cleaning your records first is your best and foremost method of getting them to sound better is inarguable.

As for the declick/decrackle programs, once again - you get what you pay for.
But let me add: ANY tool used in the hands of an amateur will produce crappy results.
Get quality tools, invest the time to learn to use them properly, and you can get some excellent results.

IZ

Tikibars,

Actually my G4 makes perfectly acceptable vinyl to CD transfers with the 1/8" jack & sound card it came with. A friend has a similar set up with a G4 laptop. Again, the recordings sound very good. I'll ask him to post what his jack situation is.

I agree I'd like to try a better input option / sound card some day, but for an inexpensive option it's ok -- especially to burn a couple of LPs to play at your tiki bar.

I,Z

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2006-01-04 11:21 ]

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2006-01-04 11:22 ]

Yeah, I've used the RCA to 1/8" splitter setup that IZ is talking about and my burns are indistinguishable from the original LP. I also frequently use a USB input box (with my iBook that has no analog inputs) and again, perfect results, not any better or worse than the RCA to 1/8" splitter setup. Don't blow a bunch of extra dough if you don't need to, especially if all you're doing is playing it at your home bar. Make sure your cables aren't junk, you have a good receiver, and best of all a good turntable with a new, clean needle. I use Toast SpinDoctor to record and Analogue Ripper to split the tracks

Don't waste your time trying to declick and denoise the transfer either, it will always sound worse than leaving the pops and crackles, even with the high end software. You're a lot better off cleaning the record (vaccuum clean if you can.)

V
virani posted on Wed, Jan 4, 2006 1:32 PM

Imic is really cheap (around 20-30 dollars) is an outside audiocart, and include a great software. Great for Macs...

On 2006-01-04 13:32, virani wrote:
Imic is really cheap (around 20-30 dollars) is an outside audiocart, and include a great software. Great for Macs...

iMic is cheap AND good.

D

I got a DJ turntable from Ebay brand new for about $80. That USB record player sounds pretty interesting! The one thing I have learned is, direct drive players tend to have a faint amount of low-end motor noise that is picked up by the needle. Very fait, but there none the less.

*****You will definately need an turntable preamplifier if your record player doesn't come with one. I just got the ART DeeJay Pre II. Very nice little compact turntable preamp. It comes with a low frequency cut off switch which helps get rid of low hum and has an adjustable output volume. http://sweetwater.com/store/detail/DeeJayPre/ It is only analog and I plug it into my G5 tower's stereo mini mic input. Works great and best of all this pre amp has a built in RIAA vinyl EQ curve. ART also makes a $99 model that is USB equipped and has a built in digital-to-analog converter, so you can plug it directly into your computer's USB port. It really comes down to how much you want to spend.

As for editing, I have used the shareware program SoundStudio for Mac OS X and it works great. However, it doesn't support plug ins. So I'm currently using the Toast setup with Dr. Vinyl or whatever it is that has an pop and noise romoving filter. This works pretty good, but if you turn the filtering up too far, you start to notice the sounds quality being effected. But hey, its cheap. I have also used the very expensive Renaissance bundle from Waves industries. This is like $1800 and comes with professional level noise reduction, hum eleminator, separate filters for light clicks and heavey pops. The absolute best I've seen and cleans the audio up so cleanly, almost completely without distortion or coloring of the sound of any kind. Waves used to offer a demo version that lasted for 2 weeks for free and lets you save your audio. Don't know if they still do. I guess you could always back up your computer before installing the demo, then when the 2 weeks is up, restore your backed up system and reinstall the demo for another 2 weeks...I guess that would work.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is to clean your records thuroughly before recording them into the computer. I have got records that looked terrible at swap meets. With some heavy cleaning, they sound way better. Here is a link to a site that gives some home-make record cleaner recipes. http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/fluids.html Buying prepackaged record cleaning solution can be very expensive. These recipes work..at least the 2 that I've tried do.

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2006-01-05 11:04 ]

G

On 2006-01-04 11:19, I, Zombie wrote:
Actually my G4 makes perfectly acceptable vinyl to CD transfers with the 1/8" jack & sound card it came with.

Now this I'd like to hear more about, as I've recently gained my parent's album collection -- which is chock full of some great exotica -- and want to figure out a good way to rip it onto my G4. Got any tips for a piker like myself?

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

IZ

On 2006-01-05 11:05, gwenners wrote:

Now this I'd like to hear more about, as I've recently gained my parent's album collection -- which is chock full of some great exotica -- and want to figure out a good way to rip it onto my G4. Got any tips for a piker like myself?

Gwen,

This weekend when I get a chance I'll look at my set up at home and PM you with exactly how I have it rigged up. It's working pretty good!

I,Z

H

On 2006-01-04 12:33, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
Don't waste your time trying to declick and denoise the transfer either, it will always sound worse than leaving the pops and crackles, even with the high end software.

This is simply not true unless you don't know how to manage the software you are using. However, Quince_at_Dannys (and others) advice of cleaning the record first is to be adhered to.

Thanks for all the input. My plan was to just use the headphone jack on my receiver which the turntable is connected too using the phono inputs. This will give me my line level signal out. My powerbook has an 1/8" audio in jack to get the tracks into my computer. With that, I have no problem getting my vinyl into my mac and editing (garageband right now) what I need for each track and even putting them into my itunes, ipod, cds, etc.

right???

I am just looking for a cheap, if not free, audio editing program download somewhere that has an automatic "declick" or "depop" for vinyl filter. I do fear that it may add a lot of "color" to the sound that will make it sound maybe worse especially if the program is free or cheap... you get what you pay for. But if a quick filter helps, then I am in.

I actually haven't had time to start this project yet but I do know that when my vinyl is playing om my player, there is a lot of noise. I am going to review the "cleaning vinyl" threads again making sure all my vinyl is as clean as it can be before I start recording into my mac. Thanks for that tip on the cleaner IZ! Looks pretty cool.

I will keep ya posted

Mahalo!
tj

G

On 2006-01-06 01:43, I, Zombie wrote:
This weekend when I get a chance I'll look at my set up at home and PM you with exactly how I have it rigged up. It's working pretty good!

Thanks much -- I look forward to it.

(Now I'll know what to look for at MacWorld Expo!)

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

C
c10 posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 5:01 PM

I don't think you'll want to use your headphone out. It's hotter than line level, and it's going to be affected by the receiver's loudness and EQ controls. Do you have some 'rec out' RCA jacks on the back?

Yes! Headphone jack output is BAD. I have tried this in my earliest days of analog to digital conversion. The sound is very tinny as you will see(or hear). Another program that I absolutely love is made by Sonic Foundry called Sound Forge. It even comes with a Vinyl Restoration program that is really easy to use and you have absolutely complete control over the audio signal. Visually as well. You can actually SEE the pops and clicks and take them out yourself with virtually no signal change. Depending upon which version you buy it runs between $200-300 dollars. Unless you find a bootleg copy somewhere. Tikibars was correct, "you get what you pay for." Good luck with your vinyl transfers!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

P.S. That homemade record cleaner link is very interesting. Thanks!!

OK so headphone out is bad. I do have "rec" RCA jacks out on my reciever. I will use that as my signal out into the Mac. Now its just a matter of how much I decide to spend on the software. Thanks again everybody.

Mahalo

tj

V

*On 2006-01-06 16:07, tiki junkman wrote:*I am just looking for a cheap, if not free, audio editing program download somewhere that has an automatic "declick" or "depop" for vinyl filter. I do fear that it may add a lot of "color" to the sound that will make it sound maybe worse especially if the program is free or cheap... you get what you pay for. But if a quick filter helps, then I am in.

Try Audacity if you want free. You may have to hunt down some add-in filters.

Also, a good, cheap choice for getting the audio into your Mac is the Griffin iMic 2. It comes with a RCA-to-1/8" jack and then plugs into your USB port (bypassing the soundcard). I use it on my Mac Mini with great success.

Vic

D

Vic,
I tried Audacity on my Mac G5 running OS X 10.4.3 It has a hellatious bug. It plays about 3 seconds of the audio and keeps repeating it over and over, even though the playback head shows its moving through the waveform. I don't know if its not fully compatible with my OS version.

I'm a cheap bastard

I bought some monster cables and did this: record player to reciever - reciever out (tape record out) to Imac g5, opened Garage Band, turned settings as though the input was from an instrument and I've been ripping records one song at a time. Sounds great too.

On 2006-01-11 23:48, Polynesiac wrote:
I'm a cheap bastard

I bought some monster cables and did this: record player to reciever - reciever out (tape record out) to Imac g5, opened Garage Band, turned settings as though the input was from an instrument and I've been ripping records one song at a time. Sounds great too.

Take those Monster cables back & just get some normal cables. Monster cables are a tecnological boondogle & a rip off, you don't gain anything noticeable from having the oversized cables.

On 2006-01-11 23:48, Polynesiac wrote:
I'm a cheap bastard

I had a little extra time and just did this same thing. So far works ok. Once you find the right levels, you just play and record. I also think the sound quality is fine. You definitely hear all those pops and cracks from the needle.

tj

It all depends on what the final product will be used for. Technology these days is a huge morass of options and possibilities. I love Peak for many applications, also use Digital Performer, neither of which are cheap, but the results are spectacular! I have always been an audiophile and somewhat a purist. These apps provide the best results for the buck that I have seen so far. However, the other options listed in this thread seem most promising as well! Thanks for sharing!

T

vegasvic wrote:

tiki junkman wrote:
I am just looking for a cheap, if not free,
audio editing program download somewhere
that has an automatic "declick" or "depop"
for vinyl filter.

Try Audacity
if you want free. You may have to hunt down
some add-in filters.

Also, a good, cheap choice for getting the
audio into your Mac is the Griffin iMic 2.
It comes with a RCA-to-1/8" jack and then
plugs into your USB port (bypassing the
soundcard). I use it on my Mac Mini with
great success.

I haven't tried it yet but I bought an ADSTech
"Instant Music" device with cables at CompUSA.
I think it was around $20 if I remember right.
Anyway, it converts line level audio into a
USB-compliant signal and comes with some sort
of software AND is Mac compatible as well (I
am PC-based, though). I have about 400 old
vinyl albums/12" singles plus another 100+
7" 45's and a Sony direct drive turntable,
plus a Discwasher manual cleaning set-up. I
don't have a ton of interesting (Exotica-
wise) stuff (the soundtrack to "Hawaii Five-
O" being an exception) but do have a LOT of
old Doc Severinsen LP's on the Command label
that I want to burn to CD. Should be able to