Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My First Post

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 11:51 AM

Here is a tiki that I did about a month ago. It's carved out of Ash that I purchased at a yard that sells firewood. Chainsaw, chisels and a grinder were used to bring him to life. A coat of Teak Natural stain and he's good to go. Cool fact about this tiki is that the tree must have been used for a fence because there is wire embedded in the log on the back. I thought it added to the tikis mystique so I left it in.

Alldo

[ Edited by: Alldo 2006-01-06 11:55 ]

[ Edited by: Alldo 2006-01-06 12:07 ]

[ Edited by: Alldo 2006-01-06 14:58 ]

a big welcome alldo a nice tiki you have there keep up the good work

KK

Aloha and E Komo Mai bruddah!
Nice work on da kine tiki brah, love the color of the stain. Keep posting the pics! And welcome again!

Malama Pono!

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 1:31 PM

Thanks! Nice to be here. Sorry about the pics having trouble with posting pictures from Shutterfly. I can only attach the URL and not the pics. Also it will only let me post the same URL? Confused. Any help is appreciated.

B

Welcome Alldo, here is your picture from Shutterfly

Click on "Edit" below my post to see how it looks.
Here is a link to the help page about embedding images. You will be up to speed in no time.
http://www.tikicentral.com/faq.php#embed
Very good first tiki, you should be very proud of it. Thanks for posting.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-01-06 13:52 ]

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 2:43 PM

Thanks Ben. I'll try again and hopefully post all the pictures.

Thanks

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 2:59 PM

viola...it worked. Ben you are the master.

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 3:01 PM

Here is the front view of the same tiki. I'll try more later

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 3:14 PM

[ Edited by: Alldo 2006-01-06 15:17 ]

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 3:16 PM

Way to go Alldo! Welcome to the boards. I like your carving very much. Very clean looking.

-Gman

KK

hey brah,
Front view way mo bettah! Looks great brah, kine of a combo Hawaiian/Maori style (the teeth being the Hawaiian and da tongue being Maori style) Nice!
Keep posting brah, cant wait to see more!

Malama Pono!

Aloha Alldo, great tiki!
It seems that you are a natural, keep up the great work!

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 3:55 PM

Thanks fellas,

I like to take different elements from tikis and incorporate them into my own designs. In the future I might try to do more traditinal tikis. But....who knows I might get a wild hair to do something totally different. That's what makes carving so fun, you don't have to stay between the lines if you don't want to right.

Very Cool!! Welcome to TC!! I hope to see more of you carvings.
Later,
Spermy

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 4:09 PM

This a tiki bar stool that carved a couple of weeks ago. I took doug fir 4x4's and cut them at an angle glued them together and carved him up. Hollow for the weight issue. Problem now is all my friends want one. Good problem to have I guess if they want to pay for it. Went to Hoffmans fabrics for the material and the cusion. Same color of stain Teak Natural

[ Edited by: Alldo 2006-01-06 16:12 ]

J

Welcome to TC. As Gman says, very cleanly carved tikis. Very nice. That last one took a lot of work. Looks like you are used to cabinet and lathe work of some kind?
JP

C

love your early efforts...especially the kool stool.....someone else a lot more talented than I am....
but welcome aboard! Look forward to seeing more of your work!

Alldo,

Are you from Brazil?? via HB??

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 6, 2006 7:49 PM

Thanks Johnny. I'm not a carpenter but I did shape surfboards for about 10 years in the South Bay of LA. I still shape a few boards but only wooden surfboards between tikis and my real job.

Thanks Conga, Ill try to post in progress pics and some of my other stuff now that I made the leap from viewer to poster.

Hey RevBambooBen, Nope grew up in LA County but would like to go to Brazil someday.

[ Edited by: Alldo 2006-01-06 19:50 ]

Alldo, those tikis are killer, besides the fact that they are your firsts. The glue up stock is a great idea - looks like a lot of work! You've got talent - stick around!

Aaron

L
Loki posted on Sat, Jan 7, 2006 4:04 AM

Aldo,
Kia Ora
Welcome aboard. Nice work. Looking forward to seeing what else comes to life.

Hey RevBambooBen, Nope grew up in LA County but would like to go to Brazil someday.

[ Edited by: Alldo 2006-01-06 19:50 ]

Cool. Thought you were someone I knew a while back. He shaped boards too.

Nice werk........keep it up!

Aloha Alldo!!!!!!!!
Welcome my friend! Those are very nice carvings. You must have some art backround and a really good eye , Keep having fun carving,Aloha , Mooney

M

Välkommen!

Very nice stuff! Do you have a pic on the barbwire com´n out of the first tikis ass...?
:D

/makutiki

A
Alldo posted on Sun, Jan 8, 2006 2:43 PM

Here is the pic of the wire sticking out of his backside. After the rains he has a little bit of a mildew on him. Spraying diluted bleach seems to take it off. Is that ok for long term? Should I coat him with a varnish to prevent mildew?

A
Alldo posted on Sun, Jan 8, 2006 3:42 PM

Here is the second tiki made out of the same ash logs as the other tiki. Ash is really nice to work with. Hard yet soft, with very little chipping or cracking. Chainsaw, chisels and a grinder. With lots of finish sanding. Teak natural stain with no poly. He has the same mildew as the previous tiki probably need to put a coat on him eh.

Wow! I really like your style. Great stuff.

KK

Hey brah!
Didnt see the stool until today...great work! Pretty labor intensive gluing all the pieces together , yeah? Looks pono bruddah! Did you make just the one or is he part of a set? ID buy da kine stool if I saw it for sale! Nice, really nice...Keep up the good work!

Malama Pono!

A

Thanks for the props Kaha Ki'i,
I'm thinking about making a limited run of the bar stool. However, it is very time consuming with the cutting and the gluing. On this project I had the table saw kick back a piece of wood into my hand. I thought I had really screwed up but only got a smashed finger out of the ordeal. The table saw is the only tool that I truly fear. I respect the other tools but the table saw will make you pay for any little mistake..... dearly. Anyway if I decide to make a run of the stools I'll let you know. Maybe we can trade?

B

Nice tikis and the Stool is really KIller. Great job just laying it out and cutting it all. The guue up must have been Loads of fun too. Excellent project.
I'd say you have the tiki bug pretty bad. Let it run its course and feed it Plenty logs when it asks for them.

Heh, that new one looks like my uncle Vinny! Good job on the likeness. :lol:

KK

Aloha again Bruddah!
Howzit? you know cuz, the table saw freaks me out too! no margin for error and you always gotta think safety! Especially us carvers because our hands ARE OUR MOST IMPORTANT TOOLS! Its funny, but you know how they always stereotype shop teachers that have missing fingers? I actually had a shop teacher with missing fingers so Im definitely freaked out by spinning sharp metal! I do know the kick back issue too fo'shua brah! I had a skil saw kick back on me one time while the safety just happen to break, embedding the blade around 1-1/2" into my thigh! 17 stitches and a few vicodin later I had to hop right back on da train and keep working with the scary spinning metal! Needless to say, i did junk the skil saw with the broken safety and now Im REALLY, really careful!

Anyway brah, you make me da kine tiki stool for me someday and Ill "hook" you up with a nice miki'oi tiki makau! Keep up the good work bruddah!

Malama Pono!

MD

Beatiful work Mr. Alldo, Really impressive the amount of talent that pops up on T.C. Its like a magnet for creative cats like yourself.
Plus it pays once in awhile!
Great job.

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 13, 2006 2:29 PM

Ben, yep the glue up was no small task. It laid out really bitchen on paper but very time consuming actually doing it. Thanks for the props.

FreddieFree, Your uncle Vinny is one handsome man! Ha Ha

Kaha Ki'i, Sorry to hear about that skill saw accident. That same thing happened to my neighbor a few years back ony the saw went across his chest! He was redoing a friends patio when it happened, passed out a few seconds later and would have died if his friends wife had not come out to bring him some lunch. The scar is nasty! needless to say he doesn't do patios anymore. Sharp spinning metal tools need special attention and the upmost respect.

Mr Dale, Thanks for the compliment.

Starting a new tiki today! Using the same Ash log as the other two that I carved. Will have progress pics and will post a report this weekend. It's a little out of my comfort zone and a little nervous but what the hell eh. Like they said in the movie airplane -Good luck, no pressure, were all counting on you.

A
Alldo posted on Mon, Jan 16, 2006 5:59 PM

OK Here is my first attempt at a lono style tiki. I'm using a nice Ash log that Iv'e had for some time. Started carving and realized that the head is Way too big for the body so I had to cut of all the work that I spent hours on. I then drew out one side to make sure it was going to work and I think it will be ok. Worked a little bit on the legs and torso and mouth then called it a day. It is really difficult to carve legs and arms in 3D. Can you guess what the mouth is going to be......That's right a wave. A sick dredging peak that I will mind surf for a long time. Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

The legs are shaping up really nice. Keep us posted.
Nice detailed sketch on the log.

B

He is coming together. Body and legs are starting to pop out He is developing into a real fine tiki. Not too much more. Keep up the good work. and keep posting pic's.

A

Last night I was showing my oldest son my new tiki and he mentioned that I should post the Tiki Car that he (I) carved for the Indian Guides Pinewood Derby. We started out with some great ideas, a chomping mouth with big teeth to eat the other cars, cannons on each side to blow up the other competitors or a big catapult to throw a huge net and smother the others attempts to cross the finish line. These were mostly my sons ideas...mostly. We gave up trying to win with speed and cheating so we thought we would show them some style. We had a blast carving the Tiki Car which was my sons idea. He drew it out and I carved it. He did some sanding and I did the rest. Race day came and we were the hit of the show. We won 1st place for most creative! The trophy and the car sit in my office were they will be treasured forever.

Now that is awesome. This summer My son and I are planning to do a carving together , he draws I carve.

Man, your stuff is great. I love those bar stools with the glued together 4x4. What a great idea to get around the weight issue. Looks like you got a pretty serious setup going there for carving. Good luck with the big lono. Your stuff looks great. How do you get such clean cuts on everything? Is it the chainsaw? I've never carved with one. Your stool looks perfect. There's even a design on the back, but it doesn't appear to deviate from a good clean circle. Do you just spend mad amounts of time sanding it?

A

Rodeotiki, There is nothing better than designing and carving with your kids. You'll have a blast. Kids have such a great imagination when they color outside of the lines. Have fun and update us with the results.

TikiJosh, Thanks for the props. I mostly use a chainsaw, die grinder, disc sander, chisels and a dremel. I make the first cuts with the chainsaw and then move down the tool list. The bar stool was a cool project but very time consuming. Your right the sanding was a pain. Finish sanding is always a pain all the creative work has been done so it's boring, dusty and smelly. In the future I might try gluing up different woods and carving a tiki that way. I dunno well see.

Hi ho hi ho it's off to carve I go....

B

Hey, Alldo, that Tiki Racer is Way Cool, What a cool project for you and your son. Hats off to ya' for getting him involved in Tiki at an early age. You will Never regret it.

L
Loki posted on Wed, Jan 18, 2006 1:01 PM

Alldo, very cool with the car. I still have mine that my dad and i made from when i was a cub scout some 25 years ago. i will always cherish it.

keep the pics coming on the lono, he's making great progress.

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jan 20, 2006 4:39 PM

Here are some updates on the Alldo Lono.

This project was more difficult than I thought. Getting everything in relative proportions was tricky. I still don't have it the way I want it but I might have to leave it and move forward. The mouth is a wave but looks more like a birds mouth about now. The head dress is something I'm still thinking about. I will work on it more this weekend and should have an update on Monday.

-Alldo

KK

Aloha bruddah!
Tiki looking pono brah! Cant wait till da buugah is pau! Its funny about da kine pinewood derby car you made! I was cub scout too, and thanks to my pops and step-father (a design engineer) I won 3 years in a row! But, I cant really take any credit. All I did was tell them what shape & color car I wanted. Then my pops made the body and I took it over to my step-father who used 40 years of engineering experience and weighted the car perfectly, used all kine little tips and tricks to make the car faster than everyones...A bit of an empty win though (all 3 years)...The car was so fast, there was no competition and after the second year I think my fellow cub scouts gave up trying to make da kine car that could win...My step-father went high-tech space age on da kine and even though winning was great, I did feel it was bit unfair to the other scouts who didnt have some kine mechanical genius help build their car!

I do love yours though! It should win just because of the positive mana from the ki'i! Keep up the good work! Ill check this post to see what becomes of your big Tiki!

Malama Pono!

Great progress on the lower half , he looks like he has been at the gym.
Cant wait to see more.

hey alldo...really digging your Lono.....keep pushing ahead...we're all going to love this
one!

B
Bete posted on Sat, Jan 21, 2006 12:32 PM

Cool looking tikis in this forum thread, nice work. good luck with the new project, it's looking cool.

Pages: 1 2 56 replies