Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

tiki-invasion @ mission tiki drive-in theatre

Pages: 1 22 replies

'
'Vid posted on Sat, Jan 7, 2006 1:27 PM

Mission-Tiki Drive-In Theatre
10789 Ramona Ave. (Corner of Mission & Ramona)
Montclair, CA 91763
Movie Info Phone: (909) 627-356
http://www.missiontiki.com
http://www.myspace.com/missiontiki

The Mission Tiki is extremely excited to annouce "TIKI-INVASION", our ALL DAY, ALL NIGHT, COLASSAL 50th Anniversary bash on Saturday August 5th!

ELEVEN ROCKIN' BANDS!
The Muffs 7:45pm Legendary rock/powerpop/punkpop trio
The 88 6:45pm One of the hottest bands in L.A.
The Woggles 5:45pm Glorious 60's garage/r&b from Atlanta - think early Kinks
Slacktone 4:45pm Intense high energy surf
BURLESQUE SHOW, Miss Bonnie Delight's Burlesque Revue from 4:00 to 4:30
The Ghastly Ones 3:00pm Monster instrumental madness!
Tiger Tiger 2:00pm super hot Indie/pop from Atlanta
Davie Allan & the Arrows 1:00pm 60's Fuzz-sensation, their 40th anniversary!
Vicky Tafoya & the Big Beat- Noon amazing swing/rockabilly
El Capitan 11:20am NEW - pirate rock band from Atlanta! Arrrgh! Scalawags!
Couple 10:45am NEW - indie/powerpop from Malaysia!!

The Martini Kings (the finest exotica/lounge band ever) will play in between sets starting after Vicky Tafoya!

GIGANTIC HOT ROD & CLASSIC CAR SHOW PRESENTED BY VON FRANCO!

3 VINTAGE CULT CLASSIC MOVIES: COBRA WOMAN, BUG, and HARD TICKET TO HAWAII. all with VINTAGE MOVIE TRAILERs & CARTOON SHOW!

SPECIAL GUEST EMCEEs KING KUKULELE and the mysterious jet-setting JOHNNY NITRO!
MISS BONNIE DELIGHT'S BURLESQUE REVUE!
DELICIOUS FOOD AND DRINKS (or bring your own)
LOUNGE at TRAILER VIC'S TIKI HIDEAWAY
Make your car sparkle at the BIKINI CAR WASH!
SPECIAL GUESTS!
REMARKABLE DOOR PRIZES!
BRING your UKELELE, help us set the most UKELELES record! SHOP for all kinds of Cool stuff from dozens of AWESOME VENDORS!
SPONSORED in part BY VOODOO SPICED RUM!
HOLY COW!!!!!!!!

It all happens Saturday, August 5th, 2006 - gates at 8:00am. 1st band (Couple, a charming four piece indie/powerpop band from Malaysia) at 10:45am, vendors and car show all day long, movies (with authentic vintage movie trailers and cartoons) start at about 9:15pm (Cobra Woman), 2nd movie at about 11:00pm (BUG). 3rd movie at 12:45am (Hard Ticket to Hawaii). Tix are just $20 each for general admission, or $30 for VIP (includes preferred movie parking, special Hawaiian Lei and refillable VIP tiki-brew cup).

Advance tickets are highly recommended - available at http://www.ticketalternative.com/VenueDetail.aspx?FacilityKey=154

We have room for 1850 cars maximum at the drive-in. Between the car clubs, the car show, the vending area and the stage, our capacity will be significantly reduced. This event will sell out so please, PLEASE buy your tickets early!

All at the only existing TIKI THEMED drive-in theatre in the WORLD!

Cheers and we'll see you at the drive-in!

[ Edited by: 'Vid 2006-06-08 11:39 ]

[ Edited by: 'Vid 2006-06-08 11:43 ]

[ Edited by: 'Vid 2006-06-08 11:56 ]

A simple linkless date, time and location would be appreciated in this thread.

I'm confused. Your Grand Opening is planned for April 2006 Mission Tiki Drive-In Theatre Grand Opening Bash!, but this thread speaks of a 50th Anniversary. Can you please clarify?

My guess is that the drive in has been there for 50 years, but is now tiki so, the new owners are celebrating their properties 50th, tiki style????

p.s. The Mai Kai rocks!!!

'
'Vid posted on Sun, Jan 8, 2006 1:58 AM

Correct! The Mission Tiki, formerly the Mission Drive-In Theatre, has been around for 49 years... 50 this August! The Tiki theme renovation is coming along nicely. You can get a sneak peek of some of the renovations by visiting the drive-in, or online at http://www.myspace.com/missiontiki, then click on the "view more photos" link. Unfortunately, when we went to take the photos, my camera batteries went dead. We'll return soon (and on a sunny day next time) and take lots more, LOL.

Thanks and please note the event is on Saturday, August 5th in Montclair, CA, about 30 miles east of Los Angeles, closer to Pomona.

'
'Vid posted on Sun, Jan 8, 2006 2:03 AM

The planned April event was changed to August for a couple of reasons... first, we didn't want our date to be too close Tiki Oasis or the Tiki Ti's 45th anniversary. Second, we realized (Duh!) that 2006 was the Mission Drive-In's 50th anniversary. So, we opted to change the date from late April to August 5th. Thanks for pointing that out, and sorry for the confusion.
'Vid

P

Is that ITD? Or is ITD the following Saturday? I seem to recall that ITD is the 2nd Saturday in August.

Hmmm, ITD at the Mission Tiki Drive In? Now that has some possibilities!

WooHooo! Soccer Tiki and took a sneak peek of the Drive In last August. We are excited for The 50th Anniversary Party.

The date is set! I thought I'd give those who have not had a chance to visit the Mission Tiki as it is starting to take shape a sneak peak of some signs I am working on for the ticket booths.

They will have the theatre rules and such on them , Sure we could use aluminum reflective sign, but why when I can carve something up.

CA

nice!

'
'Vid posted on Mon, Jan 9, 2006 10:31 AM

The signs you are carving ought to look beautiful, TD! We also love the snack bar interior. Once the "mood lighting" is in, it's going to be amazing. Can't wait to see the gardens and snack bar exterior project started too. Wow, the excitement about the MTDI is building big time!

I stopped by on my lunch hour today and took a few pictures.

Great looking ticket booths.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Jan 11, 2006 5:25 PM

man I got to get my ass over there...sweet...

T

Looooks Fantastic! Maybe this place would be perfect for my 30 foot long eXoTic isLe landscape painting thats only 6 inches tall ...

Man, Danny been talkin about this for a long time, can't wait. gotta make it down for the bash.

David,

I agree--those are fantastic! So is the ticket booth. You do us proud!

We went to the Mission Tiki swapmeet a few months ago and snapped some pics.

This is the small sign at the east side swapmeet entrance:

Here are some side shots of the ticket booths that Tiki-Kate took pics of:

The rest of the pics are inside the snack shack:

They have spears and shields and stuff hanging inside.

The outside of the snack shack hadn't been started yet, and the huge marquis on Mission Blvd looked like it had been painted brown but not decorated yet.

Looking forward to seeing it all completed soon.

Cool pics guys. The area of focus right now is a Moai garden with huge moais that I am creating right .

The inside of the snack bar is a decor job that was done in three days time . It was done to give the area a tiki vibe for the time being until we actually decorate it in a true TIKI fashion. Just wait till it is redone Tiki Diablo style!

'
'Vid posted on Wed, Jan 18, 2006 7:05 PM

'
'Vid posted on Wed, Jan 18, 2006 7:09 PM

Sorry let me try that again...

Since there seems to be a recent trend of resurrecting old threads about upcoming events...

Bump.

'
'Vid posted on Sat, Mar 25, 2006 2:58 PM

The groundwork for 50th Anniversary Bash has been coming together beautifully. Tiki Diablo has been hard at work designing and carving away, and the action behind the scenes putting this incredible event together has been fast and furious. We are pulling out ALL the stops for this major all day, all night anniversary party! Whew! This is an event you will NOT want to miss.

To recap the when and where:
Saturday, August 5th 2006, gates at noon, car show all day, first band at 1:00pm, 9:15pm for first movie, vintage cartoons and movie trailers. 2nd film with more vintage trailers at approximately 10:45.
Mission-Tiki Drive-In Theatre
10789 Ramona Ave. (corner of Mission & Ramona)
Montclair, CA 91763
Movie Info Phone: (909) 627-3564
http://www.missiontiki.com or
http://www.myspace.com/missiontiki for more event info

We have booked a number of bands and we're not done yet. So far, we have signed some of the top lounge, rockabilly, surf and garage bands around. We are delighted to announce commitments from these outstanding talents:

The Martini Kings
Vicky Tafoya and her Big Beat
The Ghastly Ones
Davie Allan & The Arrows (40th Anniversary show for Davie! Fuzz-sational!)
SLACKTONE (L.A. studio ace Dave Wronski on guitar with Dusty and Sam from Dick Dale's touring band on drums and bass! Surf's up!)
THE WOGGLES (Mighty Manfred from Lil' Stevens' Underground Garage on vocals, and Jeff Walls on guitar from critcally acclaimed Guadalcanal Diary)
And the Tiki-riffic Burlesque of Miss Bonnie Delight's Burlesque Revue!

More incredible acts on the way!

Thanks to VOODOO SPICED RUM for their gracious sponsorship, and Mr. Kelly McGuire from the Fender (Guitar) Museum for providing top notch P.A. and sound.

Vendor spaces are still available, contact 'Vid if you would like be a vendor at this event ([email protected]). More major announcements coming up soon! Check back! Thanks and cheers!

P.S. We already miss you, BUCK OWENS. Thanks for the music, laughs and inspiration.

On 2006-01-18 19:09, 'Vid wrote:

I only have one word to say about the makeover.... NICE!

Pages: 1 22 replies