Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

'Shooters' vs. 'Shots'

Pages: 1 21 replies

i was lissnen to the local clear infinity channel satan radio station, and an ad for a local watering hole was proudly touting thier 'shooters.' okay, i've had a couple in my day, but pardon the pun, something about them goes down wrong. where did these little jigger-sized devils come from? what's the point besides a candy-tastin' thing to ge drunk on? where's the love?

what would jab do?

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar 2006-01-11 05:36 ]

F

'Round these parts we call 'em Shots. If you're a 20 something male wearing a baseball cap you drink Jager shots. All other males drink shots of Jack. If you're a female then everything else is game; Pucker (in any of it's million colors), any kind of Schnapps (in any of it's million colors), or anything that is colorful and sweet enough to make Willie Wonka wince. When I'm inclined to do a shot or two I usually take Jim Beam. The only times I ever do shots is when I'm bartending and a customer insists on buying me something. The Milwaukee bar scene is embarrassing.

When we lived in Tampa my Gasparilla Krewe mate brought a backpack full of those test-tube shooters to the night parade. My husband, proudly wearing his official "Security" shirt for our Krewe, was elected to carry it. As we marched along the gals from our all women krewe would meanander over to him, get a hug and a shooter. It was a fun evening, but I'm suprized we never lost anyone that night! He had a blast! These were the ones they sell at Costco, in lots of 48 or so!

The same friend also got tossed from the Jimmy Buffett concert that year. Again, those shooters were involved! This time I carried in the backpack. They searched us, but didn't say anything about those. They are each sealed at the top with foil. I didn't drink much that night. But I spent about 45 minutes after the concert gathering up our party, which had driven over in an RV. My friend has been tossed because at some point in the evening she took the shooters, bribed her way to the front row and then decided Jimmy really needed to meet her! I guess all the shooter bribes in the world can't get someone climbing up on stage ignored! Later she was bumbed out because she had also given away her grass skirt and various fancy mardi-gras type beads in her quest for the front row...

A

On 2006-01-08 13:32, Johnny Dollar wrote:

what would jab do?

... what else, jabber...

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 8, 2006 7:25 PM

We call em shots down here too. Great for getting drunk with mates. Just do em at home cause theyre too expensive when you out.

My brother works as site-engineer, and the blokes he works with are very 'blokey'. As in lots have been to prison, and when they went on a river cruise they drank the boats bar dry. Anyways, they also love their 'girly' shots too.

My fave shot is a brain haemorage. A shot of yellow advocate layered underneath a shot of creme de menthe:
1 - Suck out the yellow advocate with a straw in one hit
2 - Take the creme de menthe as a shot
3 - Place straw between fingers and cover the (empty) glass
4 - Take a big suck of the creme de menthe fumes!
This is good if you like mint. The fumes go straight to your head - yeah, spin baby!

W

I hate the word "shooter" but not the idea. Though the goofy liquid candy sorta shot has a Spring Break connotation a well made one can be a great way to start a party. The shots I've served are highly flavored, high octane. Not the sorta thing you'd want for a tall one. They should be thoroughly iced which helps if you concoct one based around some sweet liqueurs. Made ahead and brought out on a tray it's a good distraction for the guests while you get to making the fancy drinks, and it's a good way to use your tiki shot glasses.

My fave shot is a brain haemorage. A shot of yellow advocate layered underneath a shot of creme de menthe:
1 - Suck out the yellow advocate with a straw in one hit
2 - Take the creme de menthe as a shot
3 - Place straw between fingers and cover the (empty) glass
4 - Take a big suck of the creme de menthe fumes!
This is good if you like mint. The fumes go straight to your head - yeah, spin baby!

I have friends that do this with straight Sambuca. I did it a few times and the fumes made me drool after I gagged and coughed. Next day I felt like garbage.

I have friends that do this with straight Sambuca. I did it a few times and the fumes made me drool after I gagged and coughed. Next day I felt like garbage.

Oooooh... I once tended bar at a beer and shot joint. Every Friday and Saturday night was "shots" for the bartender. For the most part, if I needed to stay terribly sober, I shot Jimmy Beam.

But oh, the Sambuca nights... line 'em up, pour 'em out, light 'em up, blow, slam.

*...oh my head hurts and my stomach rolls just reminiscing... bleah *

But oh, the Sambuca nights... line 'em up, pour 'em out, light 'em up, blow, slam.

Oh yes, I forgot the "light 'em" part. Had to make sure the flame was out before you slugged it down. Uggggghhhh....

Ha! You just made me remember my friend at our Christmas party. He pour himself out a shot of 151 rum lite it and was about to suck it down when I mentioned that he should blow it out first. He told me only wimps did that. Then he tilted the shot to his face and promptly burnt off a section of his mustache! ha ha ha ha. I almost wet myself laughing at him. Man, did the bar area sink of burnt hair for awhile....

I like to serve shots at home especially if it's going to be a long drunken night.

China Whites are a favorite. They consist of creme de cacao, Irish cream and a sprinkle cinnamon on top. If we have dark chocolate shot glasses we serve them in those.

Agua that's been in the freezer, Bazooka Joe's(Baily's Irish Cream, Blue Curacao & Banana Liqueur), and we usually make up something new for the hardcore guests that plan on crashing on the couch.

The new shot is usually themed towards whatever world event is happening at the moment(tsunami would be blue, flooding would have floaties, etc.) Always in bad taste, but taste good.

A

The new shot is usually themed towards whatever world event is happening at the moment

Maybe your next concoction should be Avian Flu Shots.

-Randy

I was never into the straight shots of alcohol such as Jack Daniels, or tequila. I must have a weak stomach. The favorite at our bar is the Oatmeal Cookie. Yeah, I know it may be slightly "girly" but they taste good and can get you dumb as a stick if you have enough of them along with your regular intoxicating beverages. We layer them about 50% Buttershots, 30% Baileys and 20% Goldschlager.

TTT :)

When I bartend the occasional event or house party, I use the shooter as a way to inflict Zombies or Samoan Fogcutters on unsuspecting masses. You'd be suprised how many people ask for a full size tropical drink after they've had a teaser. OK, well not that many... but if I whip up a dozen micro-zombies, I usually get at least one person asking about it. And when I tell them what it is, they're shocked because it's not the cough syrup they're used to.

As far as the shooter vs. shot arguement goes: I had always assumed shooters were 98% candy/2% alcohol for underage college girls with unfortunate fashion sense... and shots were just poured spirits for those who need to kill the pain fast.

-Z

Not exactly a shot, but not exactly a mixed drink either:
The Irish Car Bomb:
Pour a Guinness into a pint glass
Fill a shot with Bailey's Irish Cream
Drop the shot into the beer (works best with a clean shot glass)
Chug!
You can do a variant that involves a 1/2 shot of Bailey's and 1/2 shot of Irish whiskey (just in case you need something stronger).
Disclaimer: Be careful not to tip your glass too far or you'll smack yourself in the face with the shot glass. No one likes cracking a tooth at a party :(

On 2006-01-10 08:46, exotica59 wrote:
Then he tilted the shot to his face and promptly burnt off a section of his mustache! ha ha ha ha. I almost wet myself laughing at him. Man, did the bar area sink of burnt hair for awhile....

Nothing ruins a party quicker than the smell of burnt hair... :)

*On 2006-01-10 18:35, Feelin' Zombified wrote:*shooter vs. shot arguement goes: I had always assumed shooters were 98% candy/2% alcohol for underage college girls with unfortunate fashion sense... and shots were just poured spirits for those who need to kill the pain fast.

f.z., i think you hit the nail on the head. thus the source of my kveching.

On 2006-01-10 08:46, exotica59 wrote:
Ha! You just made me remember my friend at our Christmas party. He pour himself out a shot of 151 rum lite it and was about to suck it down when I mentioned that he should blow it out first. He told me only wimps did that. Then he tilted the shot to his face and promptly burnt off a section of his mustache! ha ha ha ha. I almost wet myself laughing at him. Man, did the bar area sink of burnt hair for awhile....

I used to do that with my friends when I was young and stupid (now I'm old and stupid) until one night, after about 6 of 'em I missed my mouth a little and a flaming trail ran down my chin and throat. The next morning I woke up with a very long, and painful blister. WARNING: Do not try this at home.

The funny thing was this little started with these two girls that we used to hang out with. They were nuts!

On 2006-01-11 00:08, TikiJosh wrote:
Not exactly a shot, but not exactly a mixed drink either:
The Irish Car Bomb:
Pour a Guinness into a pint glass
Fill a shot with Bailey's Irish Cream
Drop the shot into the beer (works best with a clean shot glass)
Chug!
You can do a variant that involves a 1/2 shot of Bailey's and 1/2 shot of Irish whiskey (just in case you need something stronger).
Disclaimer: Be careful not to tip your glass too far or you'll smack yourself in the face with the shot glass. No one likes cracking a tooth at a party :(

Man, we used to get hammered on these when I lived in CHicago (the second variety with Jameson and Bailey's). Very tasty but dangerous.

V

I never shot a drink. I like to truly appreciate the liquor coming along my throat...hmmm

On 2006-01-11 12:29, virani wrote:
I never shot a drink. I like to truly appreciate the liquor coming along my throat...hmmm

virani, if want to enjoy a shot that has a kick like an Arkansas mule but doesn't wreak havoc on your throat try my favorite:

THE RUNNY NOSE -
one jigger Bacardi 151 rum
one jigger Wild Turkey 101 whiskey
splash of Chartreuse floated on top

the trick is the Chartreuse goes down first to coat and sooth the throat so the 1 - 2 punch of the 151 & the Wild Turkey sneaks by like a thief in the night to create a rather soothing, numbing, hammered effect.

CRUSHED FROG

1 shot sambuca

1 shot advokaat

1 dash of grenadine

looks vile tastes about as bad also known as bloody snot.

talking of how shooters are for the kid market, i want a set of these hootershooters (NWF), a set of these and a willing tranny in a milkmaids outfit and i could make a fortune at outdoor music festivals.

Pages: 1 21 replies