Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What do you do to preserve your Tiki?

Pages: 1 2 replies

T

I've recently upgraded the frames for some of my paper tiki items. I have a Derek poster, some menus, and other empheria and was worred about sun damage and fading. So, I replaced all of the frame glass with UV-protecting museum glass. I've also made sure all of the mats and other materials are acid free. Some of my ceramics (both old and new) have paper tags, and I haven't decided if and how to best preserve/protect them, but I am working on it.

Does anybody else go to any extraordinary lengths to restore and/or preserve their items? Ceramics seem pretty straightforward. But a lot of people collect wood, paper, and other items that may be vulnerable to wear, wether, and fading.

F

Paper stuff can be kept behind UV glass to reduce fading.

there is also some uv sprays out there, but yikes.. i dunno if I'd wanna spray anything.

Outdoor tikis I hit yearly with Thompson's water seal at least- for the witco type stuff.. but the palmwood stuff I coat with MinWax varnish yearly. I try to place them on concrete circles or block, and put spacers between, so water can dry up and air can flow through the bottom, to prevent rot.

Tiki mugs i do nothing to, except to superglue hairline cracks to make them more stable.

What do you do to preserve your Tiki?

Why, Hawaiian condoms, of course.

Pages: 1 2 replies