Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Does anyone like Capt. Cook?

Pages: 1 16 replies

It's sort of vogue now-a-days to pick on explorers and people who were once icons...kick a bit of dirt on them...good fun...

but I keep going places and hearing people talk about this guy like he was the Anti Christ, and if you stick up for him, they hate you too.

Does anybody like this guy or find his life f-ing amazing? (or Van Damian, Tasman, Bouganville, Dampier as well?)

I find his life truly amazing. Alot of his crews sketches of Tahiti are breathtaking. People should try and focus on his positive contributions. I'm not saying to ignore the more questionable things he did but try not to overlook his impact on the world.

Never met him. Don't know.

Never met him. Don't know.

On 2006-01-10 06:48, Gigantalope wrote:
but I keep going places and hearing people talk about this guy like he was the Anti Christ, and if you stick up for him, they hate you too.

He was not a god, such as Lono, but he was a very noteworthy explorer who utilized excellent methods to describe the South Pacific islands he visited.

Attempting to kidnap a King, as he had done previously, particularly over a petty theft, shows that he was very high-handed, a mistake for which he paid dearly.

Good question.

Some of you apparently find/found the guy hard to swallow. Though he sure got his noggin conked at the coolest snorkle spot.

"Hard to swallow"

"God such as Lono"

Most amuzing.

Not much goes well when wildly different cultures meet. It's fascinating to consider the episodes so many years later...all the misunderstanding of behavior, and customs. The value of things made of steel.

Hard to imagine how many trips he successfully managed back then.

His descriptions of Australian Aboriginals is haunting...the absolute inability to understand a single thing about each other, especially the disinterest in possessions is truly strange.

I like my Capt. Cook Medium-Well.

I deal with people at work who leave their homes with no identification or money whatsoever. Many times these people are in charge of someone else's children, and driving around with no i.d., etc. I can't believe they are the same species as the explorers who navigated across the globe, braving the violent seas, relying on skill and knowledge to reach their goal.

Although now that I think of it, I'll bet Capt. Cook didn't have i.d. on him when he showed up, either!

I'll have to go with Cap'n Crunch.

Everyone should read the biography of Dampier, "A Pirate of Exquisite Mind" that's out now, it's a wonderful read.

NO!

Medium well is overcooked. Make mine medium.

On 2006-01-11 22:15, Jungle Trader wrote:

Not for Long Pork.

People seem to be unable to look at men like him in the context of the times. In comparison to other contemporaries of his period, he comes across as wiser and more respectful towards other cultures than the average person at time.

Of course as a captain, he had to maintain order, and made some wrong decisisons, but they could have picked worse men for the job. I say hats off to Mr. Cook.

Well, The way they pronounce his name on the islands is Captain Crook.
Though I gotta tell ya Sven.
I have learned a lot more constructive history about the islands from your books, than from the stupid / biased history books I’ve read in High School.
Thank you once again!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2006-01-12 22:46 ]

On 2006-01-12 09:22, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2006-01-11 22:15, Jungle Trader wrote:

Not for Long Pork.

pshaw, cmon, sheesh, Capt. Cook Pork?

"...with fava beans and a fine chianti"

[ Edited by: HelloTiki 2006-01-15 08:33 ]

[ Edited by: hellotiki 2006-01-20 20:43 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies