Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Bongo Repairs in So Cal???

Pages: 1 6 replies

C

Anyone know where I can get a bongo drum re-skinned?

My overly enthusiastic almost 9 year old son brought it out at a cub scout meeting for an unsupervised group game. Even though he knew every time he has touched the bongos in the last 8 years we told him we don't play with that, it's old and fragile (not for playing bongos).

So why not bring it out and beat it with a stick with a gang of cub scout thugs?

Anyways, one side of bongo is busted!

Can I get them re-skinned somewhere in So Cal, Orange County, or anywhere?

Thanks for any info!

Cyndee

Aloha, maybe try McCabes in Santa Monica? http://www.mccabes.com/

They fix all sorts of instruments - I've had my concertina worked on there and my wifes violin too. Plus it's a fun place to browse and see shows.

good luck!

There's also one in Laguna Beach but I forgot the name. Guitar Center in Fountain Valley will know the name.

Anyone know where to get cheap/inexpensive un-cured drum skin???

Try Harry's Music store in Honolulu, Hawaii. Then ask to get it signed by the late Arthur Lyman's percussionist Harold Chang. He still works there and even gives Bongo lessons too!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

On 2006-01-11 11:29, cyntiki wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a bongo drum re-skinned?

Yes...

On 2006-01-12 08:40, RevBambooBen wrote:
Anyone know where to get cheap/inexpensive un-cured drum skin???

...and, Yes.

Check out the World Beat Center in San Diego...My friend had a djimbe re-skinned there with fresh goatskin, hair and all! Mmmmm... fresh goat skin.

http://www.worldbeatcenter.org/

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2006-02-12 08:52 ]

Thanks hodadhank. I got an old set of '70's era bongos that need reskined but have been turned away by music repair shops because they don't have that size replacement head in stock and say they can't get it. I'll try Worldbeat.

Hey Shipwreck, you could also call Elephant music in PB. The owner is a drummer and surely be helpful.

Pages: 1 6 replies