Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tanked's samwich makins

Pages: 1 8 replies

well, Slacks Ferret asked for it here it is:sorry for the crappy pics, my battery eatin dinosaur digtal was being tempramentally retarded

converted busted tiki hibachi lamp (photo is weird, shade looks really stretched and tall) shade made with vintage barkcloth

tapa lamp

(really bluurrryyy) shelves with the bamboozles and some tapa

Blame Slacks for making you waste yer eyeballs

[ Edited by: tikitanked 2006-01-12 01:05 ]

you guys have seen my Ona Tiki Zombie (moai) and Coltrane, but here is some other shish:

Ona Tiki shots, custom one offs for the launch party, three startin at the left from the "suffering bastard" mold, the "sufferin pufferin fish" i did spur of the moment for my wife (little rough but she likes it,) the "shrunken sufferin" aka "sufferin zombie", and the "original sob," my "larson" moai at the right. Evil Mastermind and I did about 100 one off customs that, with the exception of maybe 10, all were given away at the Tiki Ti launch.
p.s. if any TCers ended up with some of these or the amulet tikis that night, please post a pic. i never took pictures of all of them, just the few i have and the 10 for the website. I think there were at least a few TCers there that night. To say I was drunk would be kind.... before opening Mike served me up some Hornitos, Had my first Green lizard, stopped counting at 5 drinks, someone bought me my second ever Green Lizard, last thing was sippin Hornitos at closing.

the pohaku aa ipu, i only post this (shitty picture) here because the one on the website and the Ona Tiki thread is an unfired mockup

Aloha kaua

[ Edited by: tikitanked 2006-01-12 01:02 ]

L
Loki posted on Thu, Jan 12, 2006 5:11 AM

The 'sufferin pufferin fish' has Moxie. Love it.

Tikitanked- wow, that is one terrific glaze on that bottom pic, I can't stop looking at it! (can't read tiki yet so not sure what it is) I'm hobby ceramist and would love to know how you got that effect...if you are willing to share. I'm working on a "lava-lounge" (in a closet) off my main tiki bar and would love to glaze a few ceramic tiki lights that way.

Awesome, just awesome!
LavaLounger

i likes me a samwich, um hm...

Lava man,
That is the 'Ona Tiki Pohaku a'a ipu mug. The pic is da poop. It is a molten rock lava cup. The exterior is more about lava cooling, fizures that are still molten and surface has dropped to the temp lava hardens. I wanted to do a series based on lava, but 'Ona Tiki went bye bye. We The inside is also colored lava, reds, oranges, and yellar.
For those interested in the ceramics, here is how to do this thanger.
The glaze is clear. The colors you see are all underpainting, or more specifically painting with stains. The stains are painted on the greenware before they completely dry(for better adhesion) and before the bisque firing. Do not confuse stains with colored slip that you paint on. The stains provide a more vibrant color, are thinner, and if careful will be less likely pop off in spots when firing. I do not have my notes handy, but you purchase the stains and some gum from your local ceramics supplier, in this case Laguna Clay. Stains are expensive; they are the raw natural pigments. Buy a small amount to play with first, a liitle goes a long way. You need to mix the stains with distilled water and some gum for body (this is where knowing where my lab notes are located would be handy right now.) Do not overdue it with the gum. I do not recall having a reference for how to do this, it was more having a basic understanding of the chemicals and their function, so you will have to play around to figure out what works for you.
Good luck, and please post pics of your progress.
J BIG $ and Loki, I slip that cash to you later.
Thanks for lookin at the blurry pics,
TT

Hey TT, those are great!
They're all so full of personality & style.

Whoaaaaaaaaa, those are stains with a clear glaze? Holy swizzlesticks! I'd have never guessed that! I don't have stains, but I do have a ridiculous collection of underglazes....perhaps I'll experiment. (I've done some little pineapple mugs with underglazes that came out quite well, they only hold about 8oz for smaller drinks.) Anyhoooo, I wanted to make a few handmade molten lava volcano cups for my little lava lounge and that sure looks just like what I wanted them to look like! I have a black glaze that fires lumpy, which would be ok for the "cooled lava" part, but couldn't figure out how to get the molten cracks effect. Maybe I'll trash the lumpy-black-glaze idea and fiddle with the underglazes.

Another little "pick yer brain" question, if I made a little separate area inside the volcano mug for either a piece of dry ice, or lighting 150proof rum, would low-fire cone 04-05 earthenware crack?? Do I need to use high-fire or porcelain?

LavaLounger
tiki in training

lava, sent you a pm about dry ice and 151 question.
Man, to Danny, Benze, Basement, Octane, and the others, specially my man Leroy, i finally have started putting the tools to the wood. i have started my first carving, after desiring to do so for 10 years.
i do about 10-15 minutes a day. trying a small one first, a tangaroa to wear on a necklace. what a challenging craft! I sculpt as part of what makes me a living, but this is completely different. even working in chavant, you can always add back to it. with wood, it seems, you need to have a more spcific idea in mind with each tap of the mallet. i guess when i start something larger there will be more leeway, but this tangaroa is so far a great step into the unknown.
Thank all of you for the how tos on creating tiki and for those of you that have answered my questions about carving in the past.
I will post a pic when i finish(if my F#@*G digital camera will cut me some slack.)
TT

Pages: 1 8 replies