Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Where Can I Find A Tiki Central Dictionary?

Pages: 1 12 replies

I've been reading posts for a couple weeks now and many are written with many words in a Secret Tiki Language. Sometimes so many "STL" words are in a post that I don't know what the heck it means.

Where can I find the Tiki Central dictionary to translate? (Google didn't have a "tiki to English" translator.)

In the meantime I make up definitions for the "STL" words, not very efficient but hilarious nontheless.

LavaLounger

T

Can you give me a few examples of the words you don't understand? I might be able to translate for you.

M

ZAZZ!!! :)

W

Yer florkin' a glub-glub, right LavaLounger ? Or are you really DTE on this?

I've sometimes been confused in threads by abbreviations or acronyms that I don't get. Usually I've discovered the original phrase at the beginning of the thread.

T

BOT, ZAZZ, VLV, LAMPREY! FOM, L@@K!

H

Hey there LavaLounger -- as TikiPug suggests, please offer up any words that are throwin' you for a loop, and we'll clear it up. Here are elaborations on a few likely candidates:

TC -- Tiki Central
TV -- Trader Vic's
BOT -- The Book of Tiki, by Sven Kirsten
TQ -- Tiki Quest, by Duke Carter
GM -- Tiki Central Grand Member
GCFoM -- Grand Ceremonial Forum of Mystery
U-Mod -- U-Moderate, the drop-down at the bottom of each thread that gives TC members a voice in managing threads
'ohana -- Hawaiian word for "family," often used in reference to the TC community
mahalo -- Hawaiian word for "thank you"
zazz -- slang word, short for pizzazz, also a brand of Shasta soft drink
OMC -- Otagiri Mercantile Company, defunct manufacturer of tiki mugs
OOH, Orchids -- Orchids of Hawaii, defunct manufacturer of tiki mugs and other restaurant decor
OA -- Oceanic Arts, the Home Depot of tiki supplies, based in Whittier, CA
FOM -- Fraternal Order of Moai, a tiki group based largely out of the midwest
Ku, Lono, Kanaloa, Tangaroa -- characters from Polynesian mythology, which carvings are based on
Rarotonga, Rapa Nui, Marquesas -- Polynesian islands (Rapa Nui is another name for Easter Island)
Moai -- the stone carvings found on Easter Island
Maori -- the aboriginal people or culture of New Zealand
Shecky -- Green tiki mascot created back when Tiki Central was hosted on Yahoo! Groups, also the winning design from the first Tiki Central mug contest
Hukilau, Oasis, SF Crawl, PDX crawl -- large mostly annual tiki events that occur in Florida, So Cal, San Francisco and Portland, respectively

I'm sure there's more, but hopefully that helps some!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2006-01-14 06:32 ]

P

We actually should have a glossary.
Maybe this thread could be the place to build it and then edit it and give it a page somewhere deep in the recesses of Hanford's mullti-billion terrabyte universe.

Ha ha......thanks for the list Huma..eh, can't remember the rest of the letters. I'll print out your list and stick it someplace handy.

I can't recall all the abbreviations and words I've skipped up to now, yes I'm TDD....(that dam dumb!) L-MAO.....and that's not a tiki drink either.

I laughed the hardest at someone's clever haiku of MaiTai....can't remember where I saw that but it was great, I wish I'd have copied it and framed it for the bar.

I have also been totally fascinated with the tiki carving club and wonder if I could do that but there isn't a tree that big anywhere around me as they get blown down before they get that big, except in the parks and I doubt it's a good idea to go into a park and chop down a tree to drag home. We have Osage Orange, but it's hard as a rock and lots of knots and leaks creosote for a long time.

I've found drinks I'd like to try and have copied a lot of those and even enjoyed reading about the wild garnish contest. I'd still like to find some drop-dead eyebrow lifter garnishes I could knock out easily to impress everyone in my tiki bar. (Best thing I've come up with is a skinny frozen pineapple juice popsicle on a bamboo skewer, topped with a wedge of fresh pineapple with the rind still on and a cherry but I worry about some idiot poking their eye out with the skewer)

So I'm enjoying the heck outta myself reading along, but it's all be hard to wade through not knowing all the secret tiki language! But now I have the magic list! AH HA!

Thank you all!
LavaLounger

I have to throw Arrrrrrrrr!!! into the list.

** Sometimes good, sometimes evil and sometimes in the middle** ( as of late, it's been a good thing):)

T

I forgot Owltober, Gnomevember, Deercember... Marchroom, Macra-may...

ITD - International Tiki Day - in August.

H

PM - Private Message.

Pages: 1 12 replies