Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Animation for Mac?

Pages: 1 4 replies

Can anyone recommend a good, simple animation program for MacIntosh Users?

Hello Hello,
Flash by Macromedia/Adobe is pretty cool. I was just checkin' out the Flash 8 at the Mac Expo and it is pretty tight. However, it has a pretty ugly price tag attached ($699.00) Older versions of Flash are still useful and you may be able to pick one up at eBay or one of the other auction sites. I am still using Flash 4 and it does everything I need it too although I have to run it in the classic environment so it's a little slow. There are other animation apps out there but I don't know the names or how well they work. Flash is pretty much the de facto standard for animation for the web.

Hey Tikibot... Whatcha got?

Chongolio

I would never own a Mac if ya paid me! Overpriced piece of.... oh, this isn't a "I hate Macs" thread? Okay. I use a PC since I mostly do 3D modeling and animation, and the Mac is geared more toward graphic design and print production. Anyway, there's lots of software out there to animate on the Mac, but I have used none of it. Photoshop can now do animated GIFs a lot easier and faster than before, but for real animation apps, you should look at this (ugh!) Apple page:

http://guide.apple.com/

On the left side under "software", click "animation" in the categories and "retail". Apps like these often have free demos you can download for evaluation. It looks like there are also some freeware and shareware packages, but only a couple. Prices vary wildly for simple apps all the way up to professional products for thousands of $. Beyond that, most apps have web forums for their users where a lot of useful info can be found. Also look at the software forums on CGTalk.com. Might be some helpful stuff there, too.

My best advice would be to spend your money on a PC instead....oops! There I go again. Best of luck!

Director(2-D mainly) and Infini-D(3-D) were great programs back when I used them('98), I'm not sure where they stand these days.

Oops my bad Tikibot, I mistook you for a Mac guy. Sorry to drag your fine name into a Mac thread. You go on livin' in your PC world and us Mac folks will keep on livin' in ours.

Chongolio

Pages: 1 4 replies