Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

miami

Pages: 1 6 replies

heading to Miami next month for a few days is there any cool place to eat or drink in and around (cab ride distance)worth checking out ? the days will be feb 12,13,&14 th We'll be staying in the SouthBeach area.

D

The only REAL tiki place to go is the Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale. This will require way more than a cab ride because the Mai Kai is at least a good half-hour's ride north from the South Beach area. If you take a cab it will probably cost you close to half what you paid for your airline ticket to get to Miami.

If I recall correctly somebody here on TC metioned a place in the Miami area called the Rusty Pelican (?) that is supposed to be tiki. Never been there or heard much about it.

Good luck.

rent a car

My boyfriend who I live with (in sin. HOORAY FOR SIN! HA!) is a food critic for a local paper here. He is also well known on a board known as chowhound.com. On chowhound, foodies (people who love GOOD food and drink) gab about where to go, and where not to go. Go to http://www.chowhound.com, find the South Florida board, and ask away. Look for "S.M. Koppelman", thats my bf Steve. He will be happy to TRY to help, but he really only covers Broward County (where The Mai Kai is, and also the county where we live). However, on the South Florida board of chowhound, you will find a ton of people passionate about good grub who actually LIVE in Miami, that will want to help you figure out where to go, even on South Beach.

Good luck! :) And enjoy your stay!

[ Edited by: Tikilicious 2006-01-17 05:59 ]

My knowledge of what is on South Beach is rather out of date, but there are some classics in the area that are hanging on.

Before I forget, South Beach has an electric shuttle called the Electro Wave that costs only a couple of quarters per ride but will scoot you up and down the tourists spots. At bus stops, look for a white sign that says ELECTRO WAVE. Cabs are real expensive, so keep them down to an absolute minimum.

If you want good cuban food and are the single digits of street numbers, there is Puerto Sagua on Collins Aveand 7th Street (700 Collins Ave).
If you are by Espanola Way or on Lincoln Road, there is a pizza place on both locations called Pizza Rustica that does really nice quality pizza slices with unique choices ready to go. Three locations, two on Washington Ave and the third on Licoln Road mall.
I can't speak for pricer, cuz pricey is indeed had but not necessarily high quality. For example, News Cafe on Ocean Drive is notorious for having lousy food and charging too much for it.

For a very unpretencious drinking place, there is The Abbey Brewing Co. on 16th street, half a block off from Alton Road. Small, tight place with some nice brews. Its the anti South Beach bar.

For a laugh, walk by Tiki's South Beach on 1401 Collins Ave. Its South Beach's attempt to be tiki. Actually has 5 real tikis, set in a outdoor patio style dinning with lots of palm trees. It gets a C+ for effort, but still is not completely getting it. I really didn't see anything that exciting on the menu. Never eaten there because of the higher than average South Beach prices. Just ask to see the menu and walk through to review, and do what you will.

Please do let us know when you are in town. When in doubt, ask a local. Cheers!

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-01-17 07:54 ]

More on Tiki's South Beach.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15659&forum=2&start=last&0

Although not tiki, the poolside bars at either the Delano or Skybar at the Ocean Club have the requisite tropical, tiki feel.

On 2006-01-16 19:00, Mai Tai Matty wrote:
heading to Miami next month for a few days is there any cool place to eat . . . We'll be staying in the SouthBeach area.

For additional dinning expericences, Do check out Lincoln Road. There architectural follies, water features and numerous dining options.

I also like upstairs patio at the Victor, the last to open and the last to be remodeled. However, as it is the "latest," its prices are tourist, market rate, but the trade winds and elegant and hip environment are wonderful.

Pages: 1 6 replies