Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Trader Vic's Mug Questions

Pages: 1 7 replies

T
  1. Can anyone tell me when Trader Vic's stopped using various ceramic tiki mugs for drinks. Since I've been of drinking age Trader's has always used glasses.

2. Are Trader Vic's mugs with "made for Trader Vic's" on the bottom (as in part of the casting) older than those without.

3. Has anyone seen a Trader Vic's drink bowl with menehune around it before? I have a friend with one he wants to sell for $35. Any history on these?

Thanks

Tiki Bong

As far as the Trader Vic's menehune bowl goes... I have one of those. It came from the Chicago Trader Vic's and the stamp on the bottom reads "Trader Vic's 1972" It's a fab small scorpion bowl for one and the frolicking menehune on the side make me want to slurp down the cocktail and join them! I'm no expert on the value of these things, so if it's worth $35 to you go for it. I will say that in my years spent in various Trader Vic's, I haven't seen another one so this is a nice find for you.
Let us know if you find out any more history on it.

-Weird Uncle Tiki

p.s. My regular haunt, Trader Vic's Beverly Hills, does still use ceramic mugs for several of their drinks. Order a gun club punch, fogcutter, kamaiina, coffee grog, tiki bowl, scorpion, or a few others and you'll value the vessel!

[ Edited by: weirduncletiki on 2002-05-06 11:35 ]

T

tiki bong wrote:
"1) Can anyone tell me when Trader Vic's stopped using various ceramic tiki mugs for drinks. Since I've been of drinking age Trader's has always used glasses. "

Several of the drinks served at Trader Vic's (at least at the Emeryville location) come in ceramic mugs, including:

kamaaina - coconut mug you get to keep
fog cutter - large hula girl mug
gun club punch - shotgun shell shaped mug
honi honi - recently reintroduced painted short mug with comic island scenes like on menu
several hot drinks (coffee diablo, black stripe, coffee grog) that come in either a skull mug or a mug that looks like an african tribesman
the rum barrel or rum keg comes in a ceramic barrel
the scorpion comes in a small bowl
the tiki bowl comes in a ceramic bowl with tikis on the side
etc.

Perhaps the Trader Vic's location you have been to no longer uses the ceramic ware. That would be a shame.

Speaking of Trader Vic's, I heard from a friend who spoke to an employee from Trader Vic's that they are thinking of opening a Trader Vic's in Las Vegas! You heard it here first!

S

Don't forget our favorite Trader Vic's drink bowl, The Rum Giggle. Often served with a Gardenia floating in it. Mmmm!

I have been trying to get a Gardenia to grow and bloom and thrive in Tennessee ever since we had that drink. Last years looked dead and then managed to bloom for quite a while with nearly no leaves. But winter got it. This years is in good health and has green buds. I so want Shangri-La to be filled with the scent of Gardenias all summer and maybe into winter!

M

Recent trip to Chicago involved numerous ventures to the local TV. Great place, great mugs (for new stuff) and some all-star bartenders.

Made a longer post in the Tiki Mug thread on what's happening there.

Yep, they are still using ceramics for many of the drinks here at Trader Vic's in London. Admittedly, many are looking their age, but they came out with a new batch of Tiki Bowls a year or two ago, so they can't just be using up their old stock.

They still make a BIG deal of the hot-buttered rum. (Old skull mug, hidden behind a screen while the ingredients are added. etc.) In this rainy old city, it's our version of the mystery drink, I guess.

Trader Woody

A

I brought a scorpion bowl a month or so ago in Trader Vics in London.

They were saying they were short on mugs & making do with glasses. They did have some in a cabinet with prices but just said 'we'll have some more in soon'.

Maybe a world wide shortage & stock will be replenished soon? More likely the mugs are not making it to the UK!

[ Edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-07-08 05:35 ]

A friend of mine from London just bought me a new Honi Honi mug from Trader Vic's London. He has been to the northern California locations several times where there is no shortage of mugs and didn't mention there being a shortage in London.

Pages: 1 7 replies