Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Members, lurkers, everyone! Take the Tiki Central Window Survey

Pages: 1 22 replies

I'm running a survey to find out the Window preferences of Tiki Central users. The information gained from this survey will help me make design decisions when implementing new features.

I'm encouraging everyone to take the survey to increase the accuracy of the data. It only has 3 steps and will take less than a minute.

Please take the survey only once.

Click here to take the survey!

Mahalo,

Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-01-17 23:46 ]

Are you sure this isn't a sobriety test?
Because I think I failed.

Yes, I have a tiny monitor!

Psst, the answer is 'T'!

Thanks for everyone who has participated so far! For those who haven't yet, please do!

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-01-18 13:47 ]

T

Can we do the survey once at work, and once at home? I have a smaller monitor at home (because I'm cheap).

I'll do it at home on my 19" mac too, I enjoy using it more than my smaller work PC.

P
Pyro posted on Wed, Jan 18, 2006 2:31 PM

done. on my little ibook.

On 2006-01-18 14:04, thejab wrote:
Can we do the survey once at work, and once at home? I have a smaller monitor at home (because I'm cheap).

Sure. Once per computer.

I've noticed that once in a while someone will post a large JPG that stretches out that page of the thread. Then you have to scroll to the left and right to read each post on that page. Are you trying to limit the width of thread pages so that doesn't happen any more?

i used lowercase, will that affect the outcome? ha.

jv

On 2006-01-18 21:05, Aaron's Akua wrote:
I've noticed that once in a while someone will post a large JPG that stretches out that page of the thread. Then you have to scroll to the left and right to read each post on that page. Are you trying to limit the width of thread pages so that doesn't happen any more?

Well, no, not exactly. There are some things I can do to fix that, but they don't work on Internet Explorer. What browser do you use?

Aaron's Akua wrote

I've experimented with that when chosing a size at which to post pics. I think the max width is about 650 pixals if you don't want people to have to scroll horizontally on a monitor set at 800 x 600. I've deliberately gone wider than that when I needed resolution for small print in a jpg, but with some hesitation as it annoys me as a reader.

By the way, Hanford, people with blogs would really like to know what the average screen resolution is set at.

On 2006-01-18 23:09, hanford_lemoore wrote:

On 2006-01-18 21:05, Aaron's Akua wrote:

Well, no, not exactly. There are some things I can do to fix that, but they don't work on Internet Explorer. What browser do you use?

Well, that explains it - I use Internet Explorer. It's not a big deal though.

I like any windows I can gain access to. You see I work in a cube that faces into the center of the room so I'm really lacking the natural light these days... I'm sorry, I just had to get that one in. I'll go and take the survey now.

I gotta "P"!!!!

On 2006-01-19 12:37, SoccerTiki wrote:
I gotta "P"!!!!

Next time, just raise your hand :wink:

I gotta p too, that's probably the average.

I got a Zed, actually a Zed Plus. I think it's 'cause I was watching The Goon Show do Down Among the Zed Men on DVD last week.

On 2006-01-19 02:10, tikijackalope wrote:
By the way, Hanford, people with blogs would really like to know what the average screen resolution is set at.

I'll be posting the results of the survey in this topic as some point, although the survey is still open and I appreciate everyone taking the time to do it.

Survey results are still rolling in, but I thought I'd share an image of what the survey looks like on my computer monitor, and why I wanted to know how others do, too:

Yes, that's a real screenshot from my monitor, but I don't actually run my web brower full screen like that when I'm web surfing.

If you're not taken the survey yet, now's a great time!

~Hanford

P

heh, i don't run my monitors full screen either.

and i don't tile the windows across them.

i'm probably not a good barometer. i do video editing and have a 23" cinema display as my main and a 20" crt as a second. i never notice bad sizing on wesbites.

Jeezus!!

You got like a 50" big screen or what?!?

Here are the results of the width survey. Thanks to everyone who helped out.

The majority of you who took the survey have your browsers set about 980 pixels wide (letter P), with 29% of you lower than that, and 29% of you larger than that. Designing Tiki Central to fit 743 pixels wide (letter J) allows 97% of all TCers to see the whole page left-to-right without horizontal scrolling.

Total votes: 220

(listed by votes, letter, and percentage of the vote that letter got)

091 p 41% (980 pixels wide, approx)
022 v 10% (1220 pixels wide, approx)
019 k 9% (780 pixels wide, approx)
014 j 6% (744 pixels wide, approx)
011 z 5%
009 l 4%
008 r 4%
008 o 4%
006 s 3%
005 t 2%
005 q 2%
005 n 2%
004 i 2%
003 y 1%
003 m 1%
002 u 0.9%
001 x 0.4%
001 w 0.4%
001 f 0.4% (578 pixels across; the smallest width voted for)
001 rrrrrr! 0.4%

Here's a running total showing you the percentage of TCers who can see each letter:

z 5%
y 6%
x 6%
w 7%
v 17%
u 18%
t 20%
s 23%
r 27%
q 29%
p 71%
o 75%