Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Last Hurrah for the Royal Hawaiian ???

Pages: 1 2 94 replies

If anyone is interested in booking a room in Laguna Beach for the weekend or the night please PM me. I am a travel agent and I would be more than happy to assist you in making your hotel reservations :)

Why only try to do ONE night. My recommendation would be to do a weekly meeting until the place closes. You may not get a crowd of TC members every night, but you will get to go here lots and lots! You can also plan a big event , too.

I really enjoyed the Mondays at Vic's in SF concept. A happy habit!

If anyone is looking for a place to stay The Laguna Beach Holiday Inn, which is the home to The Bamboo Bar created by The Notorious BB (Bamboo Ben)has rooms available that weekend from $119.10-$185.67 a night. They have a suite available which sleeps up to 6 people. PM me if you want more info.

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-01-24 19:35 ]

Soccer Tiki spoke with Junior, the manager of The Royal Hawaiian, today and made arrangements to reserve a room for TC on the Night of Saturday, February 18th.If you are interested in attending PM me or Soccer Tiki. Keep and eye open for more details as the date approaches. Rest Up and get ready for some Lapu Lapus :) WooHooo!! :)

On 2006-01-24 19:32, WooHooWahine wrote:
Soccer Tiki spoke with Junior, the manager of The Royal Hawaiian, today and made arrangements to reserve a room for TC on the Night of Saturday, February 18th.If you are interested in attending PM me or Soccer Tiki. Keep and eye open for more details as the date approaches. Rest Up and get ready for some Lapu Lapus :) WooHooo!! :)

I did talk to JR. today....He reserved part of the banquet room for us....He asked how many and I guessed maybe 15+/-....If there are more I'm sure it won't be a problem...He is very interested in hearing that so many people are concerned about the possible sale....He said there may be escrow concerns...Anyone got an extra 4.5 million?????

We have a few PMs already...who's in for the 18th?

A
Al-ii posted on Tue, Jan 24, 2006 9:20 PM

In
mahalo,
Al

MG

I'll be there today if any one is in the area.
I usually get there when they open.

Utopiandreem & i will be there on the 18th.

TBird.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bird 2006-01-25 17:12 ]

I'll be there before 5:00

Otto left some "Tiki Art" books with me to sell, so if anyone needs either issue let me know.

M

I'm in,
see you in the bar.

Soccer Tiki and I will be at The RH tonight @ 5ish :)

WooHoooOOOO! I never get out mid-week anymore!?! Lapu Lapu here I come!!!

On 2006-01-24 07:53, WooHooWahine wrote:
The Laguna Beach Holiday Inn, which is the home to The Bamboo Bar created by The Notorious BB (Bamboo Ben)

Excellent!

On 2006-01-26 00:35, christiki295 wrote:

On 2006-01-24 07:53, WooHooWahine wrote:
The Laguna Beach Holiday Inn, which is the home to The Bamboo Bar created by The Notorious BB (Bamboo Ben)

Excellent!

Don't frown. It's more Tropicalia than Tiki. But Somethings are better than Nothings.

Have a wonderful time.

Somebody ask Mean Gene how the Lapu Lapus are at the Royal Hawaiian!!!

I'm definetly In for the Big Shindig on the 18th.
I'm still assuming that its Feb. since nobody answered my question before.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2006-01-26 11:36, SoccerTiki wrote:

So Gene got hammered and wanted to show all his " THERIAGRAPH ".
Gene you can only have one of these...or else.

On 2006-01-26 11:36, SoccerTiki wrote:

So Mean Jean,

How are the Lapu Lapu's at the Royal Hawaiian?

Allergic reaction??

or

Psychotic reaction??

Did you get the recipe for further studies??

MG

Why.... they're very tasty!

After not eating all day, two was more than I could handle..........

It's all WOOHOO's FAULT!

Krustiki and I decided to have lunch at the Royal Hawaiian today, but we didn't know that they don't open til 4:00 on Sunday! So all I got was photo outside the front door..

If your planning to visit The Royal Hawaiian anytime soon just a Reminder: They are Only Open for Dinner Tuesday through Sunday. They are Closed on Mondays. They do accept reservations.

There's no confirmation that the new owner intends to demolish it, right?

I work as a commercial and industrial appraiser and what I am about to say is just based on my personal experience and I have not researched laws in Laguna (So with that caveat out of the way.....)

Someone mentioned here that because there is new ownership that it cannot continue to operate as a restaurant. That would really create chaos in the world of buying/selling property, if that were true. In fact, if that were true, anyone who invested and operated a restaurant would have no business value to sell along with the real estate(the building). I have appraised several restaurants, and "the business" entity (the value of the clientele) is usually sold separate from the restaurant. That restaurant has a business value of some sort since it has been in continuous operation for some 20 years. I assume that strip along PCH is zoned to allow restaurants since, as we know, that seems to be the popular use along there, so knowing this, the zone likely allows restaurants. As a matter of fact, most cities, even if a use has become non-conforming (outlawed) due to a change in zoning, that the existing use is "grandfathered in" and allowed to continue. Most people buy/sell restaurants in order to operate them and the new owner is an experienced restaurant owner/operator. The most likely scenario is that the new owner plans to redecorate it or refurbish it.

Other scenario mentioned was that he might turn it into condos. The lot is too small to turn into condos and he's a restaurant guy who likely is not getting into residential housing as a new line of speculation, plus you really have to know what you are doing to be a residential developer.

However, if he buys the parcels adjacent to it on either side of RH, then most likely he is planning to demolish it to build a big restaurant. Of course all that would have to go through the planning and approval process. If he wants to build a new building there, this usually triggers a city's zoning compliance rules. In other words, he will have to meet current parking standards. From what I remember of the RH (and its been years since I been there) there is hardly any parking lot, correct? I would bet that RH does not meet the current parking requirements. As long as he continues to operate RH in its existing building (ie, no additions or demolishing), then he doesn't have to meet the current parking requirements as the building is grandfathered in "as is." meeting current parking requirements means you need alot of land. if not, you have to pay a butload of money to rent a nearby parking lot (the city will usually specify the parking lot has to be within say 750 ft of the property) and that would depend on IF there is any land nearby for him to rent.... so I would say chances are he plans to operate the restaurant in its existing building rather than demolish and build a new restaurant. However none of this has any impact if he just plans to remodel the existing restaurant. If he remodels it into anything other than just refurbishing it, well I guess we would consider it a total loss anyway:(

Anyone can go to the planning counter and ask to see the permits on that address. It is public records. However it is probably too early to see anything in the file as of yet. Most likely however, if he is planning to demolish it, he has had to approach the planning department and make some sort of application for approval. If he plans merely to remodel it, we will not see anything in the public file until after he buys it and it will only be permits for the work to be done. He does not need the formal city approval to remodel the property; just needs to pay for the permits.

As for going on the 18th, I will try to be there at opening time and join some of your early birds. But has anyone thought about maybe going to RH for Valentine's Day? My husband and I did that one year and it was great! I will look into booking us for the 15th (since my husband can't do the 14th this year).

Way to bring it, Hanalei Pirate!

M

How's it Hanalei Pirate?
Long Time no see. Hopefully, you and your husband can make the 18th event.

Any one up for some Lapu Lapu's Saturday Night 2/4??? Soccer Tiki and I will be there :)

TGIF at Royal Hawaiian May 12th!

On 2006-05-11 22:19, WooHooWahine wrote:
TGIF at Royal Hawaiian May 12th!

We should be there around 6pm.....

May 12th? Why, that's today, is it not? We shall be there! I will be warmed up and preflighted!
ST: I'll bring your masks from Oasis.

[ Edited by: Hau 'oli Tiki 2006-05-12 10:26 ]

Bad News: Escrow at The Royal Hawaiian is scheduled to close May 15th. Jr and Marilyn will be running the restaurant for the next 3 weeks though, after that no one knows what will become of this legendary tiki restaurant. The entire staff is praying that they will still have jobs after this transition. Hopefully the new owners of The Royal Hawaiian will keep the restaurant open and the Spirit of Tiki will continue on.

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-18 09:53 ]

I just talked to my sister, and she was there a few days ago.
I don't know how true this is, but she was told it will stay the Royal Hawaiian after it's sold. Not sure on any remodel plans, but it's supposedly gonna remain. We can only cross our fingers now.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Tonight is the last night the Royal Hawaiian is owned by the Cabangs (Jr, Marylin and Mom.) The escrow closes tomorrow (the day the restaurant in closed) and Junior and Marylin will stay on for a couple weeks to honor reservations...after that who knows? The owner has indicated it will remain open, but how often does that happen? The staff doesn't know anything...it is day by day. I say get in tonight just in case!!!!

Friday night(19th)at RH anyone? I WILL be there. You never know when it'll be the last night!!

On 2006-05-14 10:09, SoccerTiki wrote:
Tonight is the last night the Royal Hawaiian is owned by the Cabangs (Jr, Marylin and Mom.) The escrow closes tomorrow (the day the restaurant in closed) and Junior and Marylin will stay on for a couple weeks to honor reservations...after that who knows? The owner has indicated it will remain open, but how often does that happen? The staff doesn't know anything...it is day by day. I say get in tonight just in case!!!!

What a great way to spend Mother's Day and to end the weekend. The restaurant/bar was packed with all the regulars. Lots of pictures and video taping took place. Everyone was in High Spirits but they are still worried about not knowing what is going to happen.

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-15 18:34 ]

WoooHoooo! For whatever reason escrow did not close yesterday or today :) Soccer Tiki and I will be going this Thurs., 5/18. Give us a WooHooo if you're around :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-16 19:51 ]

Woo Hoo!! We'll be there! Friday night, too!

On 2006-05-16 19:49, WooHooWahine wrote:
WoooHoooo! For whatever reason escrow did not close yesterday or today :) Soccer Tiki and I will be going this Thurs., 5/18. Give us a WooHooo if you're around :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-16 19:51 ]

If you get there before 7pm you can get in on the "Early Bird" specials!!! WoooHooooo!

Well...that's all folks! Last night the Mr & I dined with Soccertiki, WooHoo and Mean Gene for the last time at the Royal Hawaiian!
They said escrow closed and I guess they are going in today and dismantling stuff. Saw the plans...Something about putting bathrooms where the bar is now and the bar in the dining room. Sure to be sleek, modern and sophisticated. So I guess that's it for an area landmark!
No more Lapu Lapus (or mini-pus for you, WooHoo!), puffer fish lamps, tikis watching over the diners, knowing everyone the first time you see them, the haunted bathroom and back dining room. No more blue lights glowing in the soft Summer evening, beckoning you in for a round of rum with some swell folks. No more melt-in-your mouth ribs, velvety tempura shrimp, hot onion soup. No more stories from my Dad about the times he dropped in for a bite and a libation with his surfer buds (something ALWAYS seemed to happen!) No more. Even though it will still be some kind of restaurant/beer hose, it goes with out saying that it will never be the great RH ever again. Very sad!!
Marilyn said something about the items decorating the joint...if the new owners didn't use it for the new place, it would all go up for sale (E Bay?) and we could all have a crack at it. But all present last night knew the new guys could just throw it all out in a dumpster! That would be a tragedy!
So. I'm so grateful I was able to get one more visit in before it goes forever! It will live long in all our minds, I'm sure.
Aloha Royal Hawaiian!!

Some "last" pictures....

One of many old pieces of Hawaiian Artwork

A terrarium tiki watching the diners

WOOOHOOOO! Mean Gene ~ How was your Lapu Lapu??? :wink:

On 2006-05-20 18:02, SoccerTiki wrote:
One of many old pieces of Hawaiian Artwork

That's "Hawaiian Artwork"? I have a copy of that my wife found for $.50! Cool! :D

On 2006-05-19 12:56, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
.Something about putting bathrooms where the bar is now and the bar in the dining room. Sure to be sleek, modern and sophisticated.

So what will be the theme of the next restaurant?

This saddens me greatly.

Having grown up in Laguna, the Royal Hawaiian was our birthday resturant of choice. I haven't lived there now for YEARS and I miss going there.
Apparently I've missed my last chance. Boo hoo.
I'll have to satisfy this lack by heading to Bahooka's, which is much closer to where we live now.

According to what The Locals have to say, 2 guys who use to work for The Yardhouse will be running the restaurant for the new owner.

A very sad day.... Sunday afternoon WooHooWahine and I took Tiki Tina and Bamboo Boyd to the Royal Hawaiian for lapus.......The dining room has been gutted and ALL the artifacts have been removed! They are still using the left side of the restaurant to seat diners and the bar is still open. The whole right side of the restaurant will be the new bar in a Yard House/BJ's Pizzeria style with a chef from Chili's fixin tacky bar food. When the new bar is complete they will tear out the old bar and make it the new bathrooms.........

Very sad walking through there..... Kinda like an open casket funeral......

I understand that Marilyn and Junior were able to take all the art/wall hangings/light fixtures/tikis/fountains, so at least they didn't meet the fate of a dumpster!!!

I am sooo glad we had a great party there! And it's all on video! Saved for posterity!

M

It's alright.
For me, it died in 2006.
Great memories though, of a great bar. A great bar!
I have an original "Got Lapu?" shirt. I will shrine it/hang it in my Tiki bar.
RIP Royal Hawaiian!

M

They still make a decent drink AND Tiki Farm makes a mug for them now.

Pages: 1 2 94 replies