Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

That was fun while it lasted...

Pages: 1 22 replies

P

see last entry...
Enjoy the mp3.

Well, The Crazed Mugs are nominated for a Hawaiian Music Award in the category of "Island Contemporary".

The site is http://www.hawaiimusicawards.com and the voting is continuing through Sunday.

I'd appreciate a nod in our direction but even if it's not us, vote for someone there. Hawaiian music needs more exposure.
In an age where suspect dedication, loneliness and rage are the main emotions ever brought to bear in pop music, Hawaiian music offers an easier, more hopeful and more lighthearted approach to life.

I hope that through this exposure, more folks will hear our music and possibly record some of the original songs on their next project. Not a whole lot of new stuff is being written in that genre and I'd like to think that we represent pretty well.

Most of you know that I am a wannabe Hawai'ian right down to the fish and poi.
I love the more traditional sound even though a lot of the songs on our CD are pretty wacky.
Such as "Kahiki Moon," my personal favorite and a homage to Primo Kimo's killer Tiki bar.
Hence the classification as "island contemporary."

However, I wrote this tune about the Limahuli Gardens in Kauai and an afternoon I spent with my Amber Love Goddess there a few years back. Haole Kats are all over our CD and Kanekila plays a beautiful solo on this cut. It's more traditional and with this link you can hear the entirity of the song instead of the one minute-sample that they have on the hawaiimusic.com website.

http://www.mediacentraltampa.com/crazedmugs/Limahuli.mp3

Hope you enjoy and if you want to read more about it you can go to http://www.crazedmugs.com and maybe even buy a CD while you're there.

But the main reason for this post is to get some of you to take a bit of time and give Hawaiian Music some attention.

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-02-11 14:25 ]

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-02-15 04:16 ]

HK

Awesome! Not too shabby for a bunch of Haoles, eh?

J
http://www.whollycatsband.com

O

That is truly a great thing to be a nominated, will vote for the mugs fo sure.congrats to all involved.

Congratulations! I will definitely vote for you!

My vote is in. Congratulations on the nomination. Best of luck!

Got my vote.

And Nina's (Hibiscus Honey)

Vote is signed, sealed, delivered!

P

Thanks. For the votes and good mana.

Space Kadet aka Abe Lagrimas, formerly of the band Waitiki is also up for best Uke CD. Stiff competition there.

The way it went down, as I've been PM'ed about it, is that we sent them the disc to be included for nomination.
They weren't going to let it in since it has no label support, but I asked the director to listen to it and see if it was worthy to be included. I was geeked when it showed up on the poster of all the nominees a few weeks ago.

Since November, we've begun channels of mainstream distribution and will be available soon on TheOrchard, which is the main supplier for Apple's website and most of the other online distributors. To tell you the truth, I would hope that the CD would be ripped like crazy and sent all over the universe. I should be so lucky to show up on Limewire or whatever.

If we should get popular and I change my mind about "music sharing", you'll know that I've been lobotomized by lawyers and you have my permission to hunt me down and push me off a bridge. Preferably a bridge in Hawai'i.

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-01-20 12:41 ]

It's a done deal my friend!

3 votes from our house

You got my vote!

P

See first post for update.
Mahalo Nui Loa

My vote is in. Yes, I voted for you. Sheesh!

P

Oh sure, you're hanging out with Jake Shimabukuro and now you can't be bothered with us lesser artists?
Well... maybe I can't play like Jake but I...uhhhh... I can... ummmmm.... drink more than him.

Yeah, that's it.

My sheesh didn't come across as attended. I was more than happy to vote for you. Sheesh! :)

P

I got it the first time, braddah.

You and me - we're cool like that.
We survived Hale Tiki's "grand" opening together, after all. :wink:

Congrats!

I've never heard of these awards. It's th Na Hokuhanohano awards that are like the Hawaiian Grammy's. I've been nominated for 3 Hoku awards but have never won. It's sure fun to attend the event though.

P

Maui TIki - Let's hear some of those tunes, braddah!
Break a couple out and stick 'em on the music forum.

Yeah, this contest is a lot less - ummmm - relevant than the awards you're talking about.
I'll try for that Hoku award with our next CD entilted "Gimme Dat Hoku Award or We'll Blow Up Lanai."

Yup, we should do well with that one.
:wink:

P

Well, we've got good company as LOSERS!!!!

Neither Herb Ohta nor Abe Lagrimas nor Jake Shimabukuro won the "uke" division, so I don't feel so bad about dropping in ours.

Thanks for the votes! It was fun for us to dream of heliports on our Kauai mansions, lounging in the surf all day with trained spinner dolphins fetching us coconuts and rum. Alas, it's back to writing and practice.

We're looking forward to the next CD because as Bobby Dylan once said "It's for me and my friends my stories are sung."

T

Thats too bad. I realy liked your first cd. We need more hawaiian type christmas music. Hint Hint. Good luck.

--> http://www.mediacentraltampa.com/crazedmugs/Limahuli.mp3

I know its old but can repost a link..we love this song at Tiki taky...

and fyi..we pay all rights yearly via the local Czeck collector OSA.

[ Edited by: PragueTiki 2011-01-10 09:26 ]

P

You can download that for free at lastfm.com

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Crazed+Mugs

Full length previews on all the other ones as well.

Mahalo for the listen.
Laying down some new drum tracks for the new one tomorrow.
We're nearing completion on it... 12 originals and a lot more polished than the last album but still fun.

Fun in a "I'm tied to this stake and will soon be set on fire" kind of a way.

Thanks and looking forward to the new tunes..
Tiki Taky (formerly Taky Tiki) - Prague..

Pages: 1 22 replies