Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Grenadine liqueur?

Pages: 1 5 replies

Picked up a fifth of Jacquin's "Sirop de Grenadine" liqueur the other day. Never seen it before. 2.5% alcohol/5 proof. Being a liqueur, they don't have to list the ingredients, so I have no idea if there's any actual pomegranate juice in it or not. (The label just says "all natural flavor.")

Anyone heard of grenadine liqueur? Any recipes specifically calling for it?

I have not seen grenadine liquor, but I have seen pomagranate flavored vodka.

Should be about the same thing but with more alcohol, less pomagranate.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:37 ]

I just got this from HiTime Wine Cellars today. While not exactly grenadine, it sounds interesting.

PAMA: Pomegranate Liqueur 750 ml
Taste the unique blend of mythology, seduction and forbidden fruit.
Regular price: $23.99
On Sale: $18.99 BUY NOW
Pama recipes:

Pama Martini:1 1/2 ox. PAMA, 1 1/2 oz. Vodka, 1/2 oz. Grapefruit Juice, 1/2 oz. Mongin Ginger Syrup (Shake all ingredients well with ice, strain into chilled martini glass. Garnish with lemon zest)

PAMA-RITA: 2 oz. PAMA, 2 oz. Cointreau, 3/4 oz. Fresh Lime Juice (Shake and pour over ice into margarita glass, or blend with ice to serve frozen. Rim glass with red sugar and garnish with lime.)

Champagne Dreams: 1 0z. PAMA, 1 oz. Cointreau, 1 0z. fresh orange juice, 3 oz. Champagne or Sparkling Wine (Assemble the first three ingredients in a cocktail glass with ice. Slowly pour in the Champagne while stirring very gently to retain the bubbles and chill the mixture. Strain into a Champagne flute and garnish with orange and cherry. May also want to try just PAMA and Champagne.

PAMA & SODA: 2 parts PAMA, 1part Club Soda (Serve over ice. Garnish with lemon twist)

Anyone ever have this? I just might have to try it.

-T.J.

Hi,

Ive never seen a Grenadine Liqueur, but sounds about right that it would only be 2 1/2%

I dont think i've ever come across a 100% Pomegranet Grenadine. They always add flavourings of Cherry & Black Cherry, and sometimes Almond.

I've got a bottle of this stuff called Chateaux Grenadine Cordial. It's 25 Proof (12.5% ALC/VOL) and is prepared and bottled by The Clear Spring Distilling Company of Clermont, Kentucky and Cincinatti, Ohio (a Division of the James B. Beam Distilling Company).

I've had it for years. It has less in it now than it did two years ago only because I tasted it to make sure that what I was writing about it was accurate (and, well, that I wanted something somewhat alcoholic in my mouth at the moment). What did I learn from the sip I took? AVOID CRAP LIKE THIS AT ALL COSTS!!!

Grenadine is really Nothing But Pomegranate Juice and Simple Syrup, for Pete's Sake! There are plenty of recipes for making your own available online. Three years ago it would have neccesitated juicing your own Pomegranates in most cases. Today there are several National Brands of Pomegranate Juice.

As for finished product... Trader Vic's is Great! Fees Brother's is Great! Hell! I even saw a 375ml Bottle of some brand I've never even heard of (and, unfortunately, cannot remember at the moment) that looked Great this very evening for about $4.

These are the rules for finding good Grenadine. Make Sure you Look Around. Make Sure you Look Online. Make Sure you Look Good. Of course that last rule should apply even when you're not looking for Grenadine, shouldn't it?

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic 2006-02-08 21:49 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies