Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

TONGA Room Vintage item

Pages: 1 9 replies

Good evening-
I have acquired a vintage item from the tonga room at the Fairmont Hotel SF (it says that on the bottom of the item.) I got it a very large estate sale of a person that lived in the Bay Area since 1938.

But, I need help in knowing what it is.So leave me a message and let me know. I have never seen this item on the internet yet. It is very nice. And is in very nice condition.
Brad

[ Edited by: TongaroomSF 2006-01-24 21:16 ]

On 2006-01-20 23:36, TongaroomSF wrote:
Good evening-
I have acquired a vintage item from the tonga room at the Fairmont Hotel SF (it says that on the bottom of the item.) I got it a very large estate sale of a person that lived in the Bay Area since 1938.

But, I need help in knowing what it is. IT is NOT a mug, and i really have no idea what it is, but I have many photos of it, and would be glad to share them with anyone that can tell me what it is. So, email me and let me know. I have never seen this item on the internet yet. It is very nice. And is in very nice condition.
Brad

[ Edited by: TongaroomSF 2006-01-20 23:38 ]

there are plenty of folks who might be able to tell you what you have here on TC. but w/o a pick we can't tell you what it is! post a pic if you want to know what you have!

T

Suh-weeeeeet! Wish I had one.

[ Edited by: TikiJosh 2006-01-23 10:32 ]

H

That's a great find, congrats! It's a bowl, used for serving a large drink to be shared by several people. Here it is in Ooga-Mooga:

Tonga Room Three Moai Bowl

It's also pictured on page 174 of Sven Kirsten's Book of Tiki.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2006-01-21 16:17 ]

and just to be thorough and directly answer the question, it is a communal drink bowl.
the tasty "tonga tabu" was most likely served in this bowl. it was a potent drink to be consumed by 4 people.

damn!! I thought I was the only one with one of those!!...nice find. I actually bought mine on ebay a few years back...never seen one since except of course, sven's book......

Excellent find. Great, even stamp printing, and you even have the sticker. Very nice. Wouldn't mind having that myself.

Is it in a different color glaze or just photographed in a warmer light? I think it looks incredible in that tangarine color with all the crazing.

On 2006-01-21 16:33, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
damn!! I thought I was the only one with one of those!!...nice find. I actually bought mine on ebay a few years back...never seen one since except of course, sven's book......

sorry tipsy we have one too! :wink: the pic humu posted is of ours. this bowl in the yellow color was also used at the aku aku in vegas and a dark brown version was used at the islander in stockton.

The bowl is yellow in color, above is the correct photos. Thanks for noticing. TongaroomSF

[ Edited by: TongaroomSF 2006-01-24 21:19 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies