Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki in Tijuana?

Pages: 1 4 replies

This post is directed mostly at the Ohana who live in the San Diego - L.A. area, so apologies to anybody who doesn't know what I'm talking about.

Anybody who has driven on I-5 between L.A. and the Mexico border, has probably seen those large pickups precariously stacked 25 feet high, carrying mattresses, car parts, clothes, toys, and any other junk that can be piled on. The trucks are hauling the stuff to Mexico to resell or reuse. Most of it comes from God-knows-where throughout Los Angeles.

I've often wonder if any of those trucks are hauling Tiki. Odds are that some stuff like aloha shirts, mugs, etc. find their way into those trucks, and down to Tijuana. Has anybody ever actually looked for our found tiki south of the border? Is there a market for the stuff? I've never found anything down there except for those ceramic surfing monkeys... but then I haven't been to Tijuana in years. The place has gotten way too dangerous.

Yes. In Rosarito is a man named Pepe who is a third generation carver. He sells concrete sculpted tikis mostly. His palm tikis are excellent but last time I saw him he was having trouble getting logs. I also heard that someone locally is selling his stuff this side of the border for him. If you go down there he's just past the horse/burro rides on the left(east)side of the street. Pepes curios is the name of his shop.

Reminds me of the old Steve Martin bit where he is looking for a bathroom in Mexico so he asks "Donde esta la casa de pepe?".

I'll have to take a peek next time I'm down there.

I have a big heavy PePe (...pronounced peh peh!) in my yard. Hauled it up there with my then Volvo dragging on the rear wheels. Some of his Tikis have pre-Columbian features. There was yard supply company near the 5 fwy in LA that sold them too.

Ensenada used to be good for black velvet paintings. More Big Eye and conquistador though.

I also have a couple of Pepe's in my backyard. He's a great old guy and if you're lucky you can catch him on a day when he has several tikis around. He can also custom carve a tiki for you if you leave him a picture or drawing of what you want.

Pages: 1 4 replies