Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Great goombas, Mr. Dales tikis....new Maoi pics!

Pages: 1 16 replies

MD

First there was 2003 and there was;

And then there was 2004 and there was!;

And everybody was happy.

And then came January 2005...........
and In a fit of middle age creeping in I sold my 50' Mercury. Thought I needed a change after 20 years.
Bought a 64" Galaxie that needed my attention, named it Grace and fell in Love.

February, still had $ left over, so we decided the Cabana needed a new furnace, ducts and H20 heater.

March / April, Awesome 2 year old needed a playground, so my beautiful wife and I designed and built a tiki / pirate ship / fort with slide, steps, wheel, swing and all. Its so much fun we play on it.

May/June.....Hardwood floors and new paint........

July and August...oops....$100 motorcycle purchase became a journey of bleeeding knuckles and beer into an alcohol blind frenzied So. Dakota trip of Deadwood, backroads and pure mayhem. A blown engine in Wyoming freed me of the demons and the bike! Ha!

September - Nov. Fall, Settling down, dreamed of tikis, but a new baby let everybody know that she's coming in May 06! Back to the house and a new porch!

And then finally, December! A new tiki!

I treaded familiar ground with this Moai, I haven't carved but I have been studying different styles and new and old all year. I added some Florida lips for extra effect, I also watched all you crazy cats and tried to copy your master finishing.

It went to Tiki Boyds bar the day it was finished, just it time for New Years.
This is it with T.C.'s own Zulumagoo on the left, my happy ass in the hat, and my drinking buddy / best friend, Jay. I'll see if can get some better pic's soon.
6'10" of Easter Island Love. Hope you enjoy.

Mr. Dale

Arvada, Colorado......elevation 5340 ft.
A long drop to sea level

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2006-01-23 18:29 ]

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2006-01-29 17:27 ]

H

Glad you see you're back in the saddle! Sounds like some great life adventures were keeping your hands & head busy. The latest is a beaut, and I'm sure it makes a strong and welcome statement at Tiki Boyd's. Congratulations!

Wow , I cant remember what I did last week.

Congrats on the new family member.

Good to see you back carving. What a beautiful carving.
Any pics of the tiki/ pirateship fort ?

ps , I shed a tear for the sale of your merc (always been my dream car)

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2006-01-23 18:31 ]

T

Thats a nice height for a tiki. Probably hard to find clothes to fit in. And shower and car, and airplanes.

Welcome back, dale! that moai is a beauty. Is this one going to stay at boyds?

Glad to see you made your way back to TC and congrats on the new baby on the way!

I'm with rodeo - show us your pirate jungle gym. that sounds too cool!

B

Welcome Back Mr Dale and with such a Fantastic Moai! Excellent carving and the finish is Outstanding. How much sanding did you do.
Well I hope you stick around and bring some more carvings..

J

What a wonderful portfolio, I'm glad you posted.
JP

B
Bete posted on Tue, Jan 24, 2006 3:02 PM

Very cool.

MD

Thanks everybody.......
Humu......Just a note of thanks to you for all you efforts in the Tiki world. I was tickled that you were the first to reply to my new post. I have questions about Crit...I'll p.m. ya if thats o.k.
Rodeo.....I don't have any pic's of the boys play ship....I'll see what I can do. Its cool. I had to take off the roof cause the city was gonna come down on me. It was getting a tall as my house. As for the Merc. It was a great twenty years. MANY trips to Vegas and it never left me anywhere except happy.
Teakey..... I like the big tikis.....I want to do bigger but logistics change drastically when they start to get over 7'. Plus my back tells me.."uh no"
Poly.....Thanks.....yes its gonna stay at Boyds, they bought it. All my tikis have sold. Its nice being one of only a few carvers in the middle of the country. In Cali or Florida I'd jus be a pimple on a good carvers ass. I keep pictures of yours in my book for inspiration. Your tikis...not your pimples.
Ben..thanks again....one of my idols....I sanded for days... As far as sticking around...I never left..just got a lot on my plate....but I'm always here and there and there..Gonna get busier too...little girl is coming soon...I'm so excited.
Thanks Johnny and Bete. A lot of Damn fun ain't it?

Hey-ya Mr. Dale. I was stoked when you started out here & kind of bummed when you dropped off. Anyways it's good to see you back. I really like the Moai. Your pieces all have that sumpthin'-sumpthin'. It's hard to put a finger on it.

A-A

Aloha Mr Dale!!!!!!!!
and welcome back! I know what its like to be a bit busy and hands tied,but the Moai looks SWEET my friend , keep carving and having fun, Aloha , Mooney

MD

Thanks A.A. always liked your work, wish I would have mastered it as fast as you have.
Thanks Mooney, its nice to know I'm not the only one fighting for time, plus I love yer t.c. name.

I promised better pics of the Tiki boyds Maoi. Here ya go
Its 7' of Englemann Spruce.

I wanted to do something to accentuate the grumpy grandpa look I gave him. So I added a set of lips, don't usually like lips but they worked out nicely on ths fella. They're starting to discolor a bit from all the rum shots everybody are feeding this guy at Boyds. Gotta be the drunkest tiki ever.

Hope ya enjoy, Mr. Dale

Arvada, Colorado......elevation 5340 ft.
A long drop to sea level

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2006-01-29 17:32 ]

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2006-01-29 17:34 ]

Those are great shots. And I bet he enjoys the shots of rum too, good thing ya gave him such nice lips. That didnt sound good.

Looking at this gives me some ideas for my next project...

Like that Moai...nice, even finish. Hard to do!

MD

Thanks rodeo.....I wish I had as many shots as this fella. I'd never quit smiling.

Thanks basement.......I try to emulate all your mastery and finish. It takes forever. Or so it seems....and they say guys want instant gratification...

bump

Anything new in the works ? I am sure the new baby is priority #1.

dddddddaaaaaaaalllllllleeeeeeee.........pirate jungle gym. what up, bro?

great bump, rodeo

Pages: 1 16 replies