Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

flameproofing lauhala

Pages: 1 3 replies

Aloha, Y'all!

Please tell a bruddah what to use to flame-proof lauhala and thatch that's already in place...Noticed that open flame seems to be attracted to it like cats are drawn to an allergic guy.

mahalo!

There are commercially available fire retardants available that you can spray on.

The absolute best thing to do when raincape thatch or lauhala is being used is to NEVER ALLOW any FLAMES or FIRE in your tiki bar.

Even with fire proofing, the stuff is combustion just dying to happen. If it ignites it will spread so quickly you wont know what happened.

Smoking or Candles and Huts just dont mix.

On the Alibi thatching we're using a flame retardant we bought from Franks Cane and Rush Supply http://www.franksupply.com/ I'm still waiting for our sample to dry so I can test it, but we believe it will do well as it is used in many commercial applications for the same purpose.

If you haven't checked out Frank's, I recommend them highly for thatching, bamboo, rattan and related supplies.

Thanks for the link to Frank's. I've been having a hard time finding supplies. I bought a few things off eBay and I drive my local Pier 1 nuts asking when their bamboo is going to be on sale, and when it is, I buy out most of their stock and usually that means about 15 beat up poles in assorted diameters. Then I'm stuck with purple, lime green and other crazy colors. I'm going to end up with a tiki clown bar if I'm not careful.

LavaLounger

Pages: 1 3 replies