Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

SF Tiki Visit 2/2 - 2/4

Pages: 1 43 replies

Hallo all,

Smiley and Jab proposed a new thread about the Trader Vic's weekly shindig, and that we should go to Emeryville next as has been discussed, so, as I'd just posted the following in the two other seemingly relevant threads, I thought I'd better follow their advice and just start a fresh Vic's thread...whew.

Re: Emeryville Vic's, week of Jan. 29-Feb. 4

I called Emeryville and spoke to Roberto--he is SUCH a nice guy! He's there
for sure Wednesday through Saturday, and I believe Sunday's possible also.

So I thought Wednesday would probably be the best (i.e., quietest) night of the week for us to descend on him--?? He assured me he's happy to make anything, including older drinks, specials from London Vic's--just lay your requests on him!

Anybody up for next Wednesday at Vic's Emeryville then? I personally can't make this Wednesday as I have to go on a family trip unpleasantly early Thursday morning, and I suppose tomorrow's also rather short notice for most folks anyway...

We're talkin' Wednesday, February 1st. :)

Meow?

[ Edited by: tikivixen 2006-01-24 17:59 ]

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine - edited to change thread name - 2006-02-02 15:17 ]

C

A friend & I will be headed to Trader Vic's Emeryville for the first time next Thursday night - I'm flying in from Wisconsin next Thurs AM for a longweekend. So if you all decide to gather later in the week, you can count 2 out-of-towners "in" for the first week.

M

On 2006-01-24 17:58, tikivixen wrote:
Hallo all,

Re: Emeryville Vic's, week of Jan. 29-Feb. 4

I called Emeryville and spoke to Roberto--he is SUCH a nice guy! He's there
for sure Wednesday through Saturday, and I believe Sunday's possible also.

We're talkin' Wednesday, February 1st. :)

Meow?

[ Edited by: tikivixen 2006-01-24 17:59 ]

OK, Humu, do you want to change the SF Vic's night to Wednesdays also? DO you want to alternate weeks with Emeryville. (Odd numbered Weds at Emeryville -like the 1st of Feb, Even #'s in SF) ?? Or would you rather keep a weekly SF Vics and We still could do "ODD" Wednesdays in Emeryville?!?

H

I like the alternating-weeks idea, but Wednesdays are a family night for us.

croe67, it'd be neat to meet up with you -- since you're our out-of-town visitor, what would your preference be (re: where, when) for a meet-up while you're in town?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2006-01-26 20:36 ]

T

I really am going to join you guys for one of these gatherings one day...

In the mean time, you may or may not want to coordinate your February gathering with this:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18142&forum=4&0

M

On 2006-01-26 20:35, Humuhumu wrote:
I like the alternating-weeks idea, but Wednesdays are a family night for us.

A FAMILY night-but not an OHANA night, huh?!?! Now I know that YOU are a tiki POSEUR!!!!

Just kidding, how about alternate Thursdays then (after the Feb 1 Wednesday That Tikivixen planned) ?

Wednesdays are a family night for us.

Humu, is there something you're not telling us?
High Five Hanford! :D

Wednesdays are a family night for us.

What Humu means is on Wednesdays the two of us pop a big tub of popcorn and watch 8 or 9 episodes of Family Matters back to back. We prefer the golden-age Urkel episodes to the inferior pre-Urkel seasons, but we are completeists so we'll watch em all.

MT

On 2006-01-27 12:51, hanford_lemoore wrote:
What Humu means is on Wednesdays the two of us pop a big tub of popcorn and watch 8 or 9 episodes of Family Matters back to back.

Is that what the young hipsters in Monolux are calling it now-a-days? Interesting...

"It's Mai Tai. It's out of this world." - Victor Jules Bergeron Jr.

[ Edited by: Mai Tai 2006-01-27 15:36 ]

C

Humuhumu -
That would be Great!! Friday night is looking best for us - we're going to hit several of the Tiki spots over Friday & Saturday - Trader Vic's (both), of course, but also the Tonga Room, etc..... Where's a good spot for Friday night among the tiki establishments in town, as some are probably better than others on Friday..... We can be pretty flexible on time, too, as the friend I am traveling with has meetings in the AM, but we're open in the afternoon & evening.
Just let me know where you think would be a great spot to meet & we'll be there!
Anyone else up for a cocktail on Friday 2/3?

M

I'm thirsty...for Urkel!

M

I'm so confused. There was one? If it's Tuesday, it's Palo Alto? Yet, on Wednesday, Emeryville, just not this week....next? Monday nights...football is over, right? Friday is 2/3 drink night. Are prices a third off then?

Is this going to be on the final? Is there any extra credit? Spelling counts, too?

Slow down, I went to public school. Man, this is just like sixth-grade, health class, all three years of it.

I'm thirsty...for Urkel!

Hmmm, if an "Urkel" is anything like a Puka Punch, make mine a double*!

What night is Martin working at Vic's?
midnite...has trouble applying himself, runs with scissors, plays well with himself.

ps *gratuitous punchline from my own set-up: A double Urkel? Why, that would be a....

KID DYNOMITE!

On 2006-01-27 21:02, croe67 wrote:
Humuhumu -
That would be Great!! Friday night is looking best for us - we're going to hit several of the Tiki spots over Friday & Saturday - Trader Vic's (both), of course, but also the Tonga Room, etc..... Where's a good spot for Friday night among the tiki establishments in town, as some are probably better than others on Friday..... We can be pretty flexible on time, too, as the friend I am traveling with has meetings in the AM, but we're open in the afternoon & evening.
Just let me know where you think would be a great spot to meet & we'll be there!
Anyone else up for a cocktail on Friday 2/3?

I know it's a little short notice!
We just booked our flight/hotel today and will be in town that weekend too (for business)! Friday 2/3 evening would work for us too! We arrive in the afternoon but would love to meet up with any and all TC 'Ohana if you get together. We were already thinking about the TVs or Tonga Room too for a welcome to SFO cocktail (or two...ok maybe three but we have to work the next day!) Our Saturday eve is open too.

Croe and Pepe are both here Friday and Saturday evenings, Feb. 3rd and 4th.

So, how about the following:

Friday: Vic's San Francisco (and the Tonga Room)

Saturday: Emeryville Vic's (and the Conga Lounge)

Since we're talking busy weekend nights, it might be sensible to do the busier places (Conga and Tonga, lol) first, early while they're less crazy; and make group reservations for both Vics later on, to insure adequate seating.

We'd just need approx head counts in that case.

(We could do the East Bay Thursday, but that'd leave Pepe out, which would be a pity.)

Any takers? Midnite? :wink:

Bill and I would definitely be up for the East Bay leg, at least! So anyone wishing to carpool down from the North Bay area, PM me! We're in Vallejo.

M

Any takers? Midnite?

Apparently, no one is listening to Martin about this whole "inviting midnite" thing. He warned ya.

SF Trader Vic's? F&@*%$ing Aay, Bubba! I gots me some new batteries for the ole pacemaker. This time I splurged for the Japanese version, those Latvian ones were none too reliable.

Give me the time to show, someone point me the right direction...I am SOthere.

2/3 drink specials, right?
midnite...dibs on seat right in front of Lars!

Good chance we can make it on Saturday to TV Emeryville and Conga Lounge. Name the starting point and time, and we will mark the calendar!

What time?

How 'bout this:

Friday night:

Meet at the Tonga Room and Hurricane Bar at 5pm for Happy Hour! (HH ends at 7)

"Tonga's Award Winning Happy Hour
Monday to Friday: 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

The Happy Hour includes an extensive buffet of Pacific Rim delicacies with items such as spare ribs, vegetable chow mein, pork buns, pot stickers, chicken drummettes, cheese, fresh fruits and crudit�s. The all-you-can-eat buffet is a 'steal' at only $7 per person with a one drink minimum. To complement this feast fit for kings and queens, the tropical restaurant and bar serves tantalizing cocktails at Happy Hour prices."

Stay until 7:30 or so

Proceed to Vic's SF by/around 7:30; reservation for large table in bar area is for 8:00 p.m.!

Stay till the cows come home :wink:

Saturday night:

Meet at the Conga Lounge at 5 pm, and stake out a comfy space

Stay until 6:30 or 7; those who wish to eat an excellent inexpensive dinner may do so! Menu's at http://www.caferustica.com; also, bar appetizers at http://www.congalounge.com

Proceed to Vic's Emeryville by 7:30

And once again, stay until...mooo...

[ Edited by: tikivixen 2006-02-02 21:08 ]

C

Works great for me - count me in for 2 people for both nights - can't wait!!!!

Sounds like fun! You can count two of us in for Fri. & Sat.. We might be a little late getting to the Tonga Room on Friday (around 6-6:30).
Thanks for organizing us Tikivixen!

Sounds like great fun! Looks like we'll be in town, so count us in, as well. We were at Emeryville Trader Vic's last Saturday night and it was packed -- about four bodies deep at the bar, getting a table at the bar or in the restaurant was a 1+ hour wait. Service at the bar was very quick, considering, but with our party of four we were squeezed in very tightly. I don't know if that's typical for a Saturday night. Perhaps we should get reservations?

T

I'm a paranoid type and I LOVE getting reservations! I was wondering what sort of a head count we should be anticipating for both Fri. and Sat. Vic's, but I'd be happy to make optimistic estimates and give both places a call tonight or tomorrow...

Can't wait! :wink:

Count 2 heads here for Trader Vic's Emeryville on Saturday night! We will meet up at the Conga Lounge first and head over with the rest of the crowd.

See you Saturday!

Count us in for 2 - Saturday. I work Fridays... Drat !!

[ Edited by: Conga Mike 2006-02-01 20:28 ]

T

On 2006-02-01 16:27, tikivixen wrote:

I'm a paranoid type and I LOVE getting reservations! I was wondering what sort of a head count we should be anticipating for both Fri. and Sat. Vic's, but I'd be happy to make optimistic estimates and give both places a call tonight or tomorrow...

You better call them ASAP. I stopped in for a quick drink last night and Roberto the bartender said they have been packed on Fridays and Saturdays lately. They were really busy last night as well. He said on weekend nights they use the bar seating for dinner guests, so if people want to just stop in for drinks they're often out of luck.

I won't be able to make this Saturday's gathering because I have other plans, but I will be able to attend the bi-weekly Thursday gathering (see http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18235&forum=4&2).

I wish the moderators would change this confusing thread's title - it started out as a discussion on a weekly gathering but has become something else.

M

I agree- and I'm a moderator! I frankly don't get it anymore, so I don't know what to do!

M

On 2006-01-27 22:18, midnite_tiki wrote:
I'm so confused. .

dyn-O-mite midnite is ahead of the confusion curve, as usual.

M

This thread was mostly a discussion about planning weekly alternating visits to Trader Vic's . Lots of helpful input was given and it seems most are happy with the "Even" Emeryville Thursdays concept. I propose this thread name changed to SF Tiki Visit 2/2-2/4 in honor of our out of town visiters Croe67 and Pepe Le TIki. And maybe lock it after this weekend.

On 2006-01-31 15:57, tikivixen wrote:

Saturday night:

Meet at the Conga Lounge at 5 pm, and stake out a comfy space

Stay until 6:30 or 7; those who wish to eat an excellent inexpensive dinner may do so! Menu's at http://www.caferustica.com; also, bar appetizers at http://www.congalounge.com

Former SF Vics manager and mixologist extroadinaire, Jim Shumake, will be there shaking things up. Jim begins his tour of duty tonight for a month or two, until he sails off to the Forbidden Island in April.
Come on by the Conga for a kick-ass Mai Tai and say hi to Jim, Mike and Mano

T

Mr. Smiley's paying attention! :)

Oof, okay, the thread did kinda morph...but in a good-natured way...mucho mahalos to our equally good-natured moderators!

I've made a reservation for SF Vic's Friday; they felt they could accommodate a large party more easily at 8:00 pm, and since Pepe's party was running late anyway, I went ahead and booked in the bar area for 8:00 pm. Those who get there earlier will of course be happily diving on any free bar seats and, I'm sure, leaving Lars lovely tippage.

We're finalizing Saturday at Emeryville Vic's tomorrow with maitre d' Claudette. Sounds like everything will be okay.

(I can't wait to sample Jim's libations at the Conga Lounge on Saturday! What a treat: a glimpse of things to come at Forbidden Island! YUM.)

One last note: anyone who actually wants to go and do a separate sit-down dinner at either Vic's should phone for their own personal reservation! We're just reserving group tables in the bar. Vic's bar food IS terrific. The hamburgers rock :wink:.

FYI:

Vic's Emeryville: 510-653-3400
Vic's SF: 415-775-6300

PLT

Both nights sound great! We're really looking forward to meeting everyone!!! I know they're busy nights but I'm sure that won't hinder the fun especially if Mai Tais are involved. See ya tonight!

M

PS--Keep ALL the info about the Forbidden Island SECRET at Trader Vic's!! They don't seem to know yet.

T

On 2006-02-03 11:27, mrsmiley wrote:
PS--Keep ALL the info about the Forbidden Island SECRET at Trader Vic's!! They don't seem to know yet.

That probably won't be too difficult - they didn't even know their own restaurant was being remodeled.

M

Folks are still meeting at the Tonga first, right?

M

On 2006-02-03 11:27, mrsmiley wrote:

Thanks Bruce- good point. Please do, everyone.

Have a great time tonight, everyone- wish I could be there, but I've got to take it easy on the pocketbook.

M

Is tonight the night for SF Vic's? What time should I be there, am I invited? I can bring my travel snaphots, nudge nudge.

Ronery midnite

ps Ixnay on the Forbiddenay Planay, gotcha! What am I talking about again?

C
croe67 posted on Sun, Feb 5, 2006 7:29 AM

WOW! What a GREAT couple of nights with a super-welcoming crowd in SF!!!
Thanks SO much to TikiVixen to arranging all this - it was great to get to spend time with the SF Tiki crowd & chat with Mrsmiley, Hanford, Midnite, Tikiwinebear, Humuhumu, MaiTai, and everyone else that was so much fun. & of course, Pepe le Tiki in from the great white north, which we look forward to visiting and checking out your cool shop.
A great weekend all-around - Thanks to all for the fabulous hospitality :)

M

What a huge turnout!!! It was great meeting all of you!

Thanks, Vixen for working out the plans!

PS Pepe, I later noticed that the price tag on the Vic's ashtrays that you bought from the Drugstore Vintage in SF said "Trader Joe's ashtrays"! MMM, Mai-Tai's and the Fearless Flyer!

Ps-Trader Joe's is a mostly west-coast cool, grocery store chain.

M

On 2006-02-06 17:07, mrsmiley wrote:

West-coast cool? They play Dave Brubeck?

On 2006-02-06 17:07, mrsmiley wrote:

They have them in NJ and Philly now...it makes the visits back to the family slightly more bearable... except they don't sell wine, which would make it much more bearable...

We just returned today and wanted to say THANKYOU for making our trip the best!! Two nights of TC Ohana, great Tiki venues and fabulous drinks...we miss you already!!! Thanks for organizing us Tikivixen, it couldn't have been better. I've got some great photos and will try and get them up tomorrow.
Here's a photo of our TV loot including the ashtrays Mrsmiley mentioned (very happy with my purchase..and great store!) As you can see, cocktails at our place have reached a new level. TV may have left Vancouver but we've brought some of it back!

I wish we could join you guys at the weekly Trader Vic's gathering!!! :(

OK here's some photos (a little late and fuzzy!) from the Feb. 4th gathering at The Conga Lounge & TV Emeryville.

mrsmiley, Humuhumu & Hanford at the Conga Lounge (great Mai Tais, by the way!)

The gang at Trader Vics Emeryville!

Alan, myself, Conga Mike & Hanford at TV Emeryville.

Humuhumu telling us about Hukilau 2004 and the Hurricane.

Stacey and Cro67 with a very loveable Menehune.

Just when we were about to bow down in homage to the spirit of Vic himself.....

Toto pulls the curtain and reveals the truth! (just mrsmiley messing with our intoxicated minds)

Hmmm....maybe I'll cancel my return ticket and drive home.

Thanks again to the Bay area TC folks for showing us a such great time. We're seriously considering another trip for the Forbidden Island opening...

There are more photos to view here:
http://sfotrip.shutterfly.com/action/?a=8AcM3Ldu0buGFh&notag=1

M

On 2006-02-14 21:17, Pepe le Tiki wrote:

We're seriously considering another trip for the Forbidden Island opening...

I like the way you think!

C

So I am finally getting our pictures up, too, from this fabulous weekend!
Thanks, again, to the SF crowd for making us feel so welcome!!

Alan & Pepe le Tiki at Trader Vic's San Francisco

Hanford giving the insiders tour to croe67, Pepe le Tiki, & Alan at TV Emmeryville

Pepe le Tiki with the same adoreable little Meneheune Man

Watch out! It's got mrsmiley's arm!!!

When Pepe le Tiki turned into the mysterious Tiki-knapper - but, alas, only for a second!

Much lively conversation at TV San Fran with Humu & TikiVixen

& Lars at the end of a long, fun evening!!

& a lovely band of TCers at play....

Wish I had these handles on my bathroom doors!

& I'm so glad I wasn't the only one to take a picture of the TVs catering truck - us tourists, the strangest things are picture worthy!

Such a FUN weekend!!!

On 2006-02-15 10:04, martiki wrote:

On 2006-02-14 21:17, Pepe le Tiki wrote:

We're seriously considering another trip for the Forbidden Island opening...

I like the way you think!

Me too!!

You guys are all so much fun--we had a wonderful time both nights!! I hope you all come back for another visit soon!! :)

Pages: 1 43 replies