Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

T-Shirts

Pages: 1 22 replies

Hello all,

I am working on a T-Shirt right now with the Monkeyman logo on it and wanted to get a feel for preferences of T-Shirt wearers here on TC.

I am swaying back and forth between

A-a shirt with a nice multi color logo on the Back only.
B-a shirt with fewer colors in the back logo and a one color pocket logo on the front
C-Just put the big logo on the front and skip the back entirely.

I guess my question is, is the purpose of the logo on the shirt to show others (in which case the back is fine) or is it so that you can see it too (in which case the front is preferred)?

Thanks for any replies this might get.

T

Let me be the first to weigh in...

I prefer my t-shirts with the big logo on the back and a small one on the chest. Just like the Crazy Shirts shirts.

P.S. Let me the first to order a XXL since there never seems to be that many XXL.

The Pugster

T

Centered on the front. Unless it's the name of a plumbing company and needs to be readable on someone who's face-down under your sink, I think a logo always looks better centered on the front. Front is especially good for logos that aren't just text (like a company name) surrounded by a box.

edit:

I'm surprised that with all the automated tshirt service on the net that people still have shirts printed up in batches to sell. Makes sense for events that people attend and want to buy a shirt at, but the online places are great for everything else. There's a site called spreadshirt.com that lets you upload your own artwork and even select placement, collar and cuff colors and shirt style and it doesn't cost the creator of the logo a thing. Just fyi.

[ Edited by: Tiki-bot 2006-01-25 18:28 ]

I prefer front

I prefer the bottom. Wait, what was the question?

Just kidding. I like a good front print too, as long as the logo isn't real thick so that the ink feels like armor plating.

M
Moki posted on Wed, Jan 25, 2006 6:41 PM

I prefer the back with just a little "pocket" design on the front. My chest gets stared at enough without having some cool design that people want to read :wink:

Don't forget the sleeves. I've always thought designs on the left sleeve are really neat.

Speakin' of sleeves, I prefer a long sleeve shirt with a logo on the back and a large logo down the left sleeve (so peeps 'll see it when you hang your elbow out the window of your ride whilst cruizin' the blvd). Yeah. Give that some thought MM & get back to me.

On a t-shirt, I prefer a large logo on the back and a small logo on the front on the pocket or in the general pocket vicinity if an actual pocket doesn't exist.

Monkeys in general freak me out, but I've added the Monkeyman logo to my list of exceptions which also includes Julius and Darwin.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 25, 2006 7:56 PM

Either
A - Just a big logo on the front (this option is nice and simple, probably cutdown on printing costs)
B - Small logo on the fron, big logo on the back (more expensive, but more fancy looking)

Im not gonna buy one anyways cause I got shirts coming out the wazoo!

I'll go with choice "C" I like logos on the front because I like to sport a cool Jacket sometimes and that way you can still see the shirt I have on underneath. Whatever way you choose I will still get one from you anyway. But if I have something over it I can't advertise. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Later,
Spermy

For what it's worth, as a seller of t-shirts, the shirts with the image centered on the front always sell faster than a front logo with back image. My customers seem to want an image on the front rather than a logo on the front. I've heard people say (while looking at the shirts) they don't want to be a mobile billboard for some label or company they aren't familiar with... I've pretty much phased out the front logo tees as people don't buy them.

No one has done it in the Arm Pits yet.

Might be a huge sucsess.

Remember the pet rock??

Actually we just did a run like these on good ol' Bam-Boo shirts . ( 70% Bamb Boo, 30% cotton)

So, if you do your screen design in the middle/front and big/back this is what it will look like. With your logo, of course. Good luck on deciding what to do. The first run is always the hardest. But, they are only t- shirts. Are you giving them out for free? One of the Bar Trade Mags I get has 2 sided, 3 color print, white cotton tee-s, printed for 1.97 ea. min. order 1,000. Not bad!

nice big front design, something on the back is always a bonus!

On 2006-01-25 18:11, Monkeyman wrote:
I guess my question is, is the purpose of the logo on the shirt to show others (in which case the back is fine) or is it so that you can see it too (in which case the front is preferred)?

So my question is, "how many mai tais have your buyers had so far?
If their gonna be out on the grounds/curb after a Tike bar crawl?
I would say, keep the logo on the back! That would definitely be more exposure. :D

MG

A great logo like yours on the front of the girls shirts give guys a good reason to check out thier.....

BOOOOBS!

http://www.fallingcocos.com

[ Edited by: mean gene 2006-01-27 09:05 ]

Umm.... Great, thanks Gene.

I prefer a large logo on the back and a smaller pocket sized one on the front to the side :) Just my personal preference. I think it looks nice.

However, one could argue that the one on the back is larger and made so that others can actually SEE it from far away while walking around a fair, beach or park etc.. Free advertising.

The smaller on the front is for the close encounters while ordering a cocktail somewhere of course! ie..."Hey, that's cool! Where's that place? What's it all about? How can I get one?"

Both logos are important.. just my 2 cents.

Better late than really really late...
I like a little logo or a "snippet" from the art on back used above the front pocket (yes, I use the pocket) placed exactly 3 inches (7.62 cm) from the bottom of the collar line. On the back, I like the image to be as big as you can get it before it spills into the sides or the "Ben zone" Long sleeves are my shirt of choice any color but white or pink.

I too like the Cafepress way of being able to order full color "one of's" but sadly the heat transfer method only stands up to a few washings before the image starts to fade away. And last time I checked you have no control over the shirt quality.

Mr. M Man, Not to pull the rug out any local printer you may be talking to, but check out this site I came across:

http://www.designashirt.com/

l have not used them but they offer some of the best silk screen prices I have found on the internet. There is no screen charge, they do small runs an they have a decent selection of shirts and colors. And if that wasn't enough the have a10 day turnaround and free shipping!

Keep us posted on your progress. I gots to get me a Monkeyman T!

Chongolio friend to the animals

P.S. When I was at the Mac Expo in S.F. I wore my Tiki Crawl 5 shirt and has several people comment after seeing Hanford's TC logo on the front.

Lost-Isle
Lost-Isle Trading Post
Barefoot bloggin'

TB

Definitely B, especially with a pocket!

TBird.

I like the design in front. My long hair covers up the back.

I've started to prefer subtlety these last couple years. A nice logo, provided said logo is attractive, where the pocket would be, is enough.
Actually, I've grown to prefer shirts with pockets since I got a little digital camera...what with it and phone to keep up with, pocket space is at a premium.

Pages: 1 22 replies