Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

My Cannibal Headstone

Pages: 1 15 replies

This is my carving "Cannibal Headstone" (picture taken at Kailua Beach).
See all of the little souls that have been ingested by the larger ones?
Cute Yeah ?

Really cool! I can picture a bunch of those stuck into the ground at weird angles around a backyard tiki hut.

Sabu

P

wow! creepy cute. that's great. i don't think i've ever seen a tiki headstone like that. now i have a new option when i'm buried.

B

Definitely Cool and Out of the Ordinary, unusual and rare, Fascinating and Well done. I Love it. It looks Authentic something. How did you come up with the idea to do this, HT? Do you have any Progress pic's? Closeups? I would really like to see more detailed pic's.
Thanks for sharing...

B
Bete posted on Thu, Jan 26, 2006 6:36 AM

Very cool and very creative!

This is the only in-progress photo I had and I can't seem to fix the size of it.
The whole Idea was insane. It was from a an M.C. Esher-like dream after some chinese food and chocolate gellato.
(By the way,when in Hawaii, make sure you stop by the Gellateria on Cedar street. It's what dreams are made of.) The carving was on very hard wood (don't know what) and I used everything from hand chisels, to power chisels, my grinder, and about 1000 dremel bits.
The guys at the Windward Community college woodshop told me I was nuts to start it. I was nuts to finish it.
Shane & Brandon at the outreach college are great instructors over there, by the way.

B

How's this.
Look at the lines when you open my "Edit. See the series of Numbers towards the end that is a lot of Zero's? On your line there was a 00010102EYs..I changed the 101 to a 161 and got a larger pic. What you did was copy the propertys from the Thumbnail in shutterfly. Open the thumbnail to the larger picture and Then go to the propertys.

MD

Original, beautiful and perfectly creepy. Awesome bro!
How tall is that ominous thing?

KK

Hey Brah!
Howzit cuz?! The cannibal headstone is amazing! Its what modern day Tiki carving is all about... Creativity, originality and respect to kahiko art! Keep up the pono work!
Cant wait to see more!

Malama Pono!

I respectfully echo Benzart...that is fascinating and spooky and I really dig it. I love seeing unusual stuff like this!!!

tikivixen

T

Love the idea, the design of it looks old. You just thought that one up? So you made it and then sold it to someone in HAwaii? Its not just left in the sand on the beach, is it. Reminds me of the Matrix, zeros and ones. 010010010

Ben, cool trick I was always wondering how you did that, I thought that you got into the Shutterfly account or something.

Wow! Ive been toying with the idea of making my own head stone for years . I've even several stones of granite and white marble. The tiki style's a new one to me. For inspiration I often go to sadighgallery.com for different cultures designs. They offer antiquities from all over the world and their styles. Check this site out. It's more than groovy!

Like that piece! Looks a lot like a Bismarck Archipeligo style piece from New Guinea.

J

Terrific new idea. I like the symbolism.
JP

Thank you Ben for blowing up the picture.
You guys are true masters and your comments mean alot to me.
Mahalo!
The buggah stands 5 feet tall, and quite frankly is hiding at the woodworking shop at Windward Community College. (I need to retrieve it before it disappears).

OoOoOoOoOoOO! Perfectly eerie! Somethign to be displayed proudly! Go get 'er outta storage!

Pages: 1 15 replies