Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents: Tiki Taix XX on January 27th, 2006.

Pages: 1 12 replies

Friday January 27th, 2006 10PM No Cover

This months Tiki Taix Show is double XX!! Thats the big 20. Come join in the fun at L.A.’s only monthly Tiki show. This will be our last Tiki Taix Show...until next month’s 2nd Anniversary show! This Friday will be the Anniversary EVE!

Crazy Al Evans: Tiki Carver slash Ape Bandmember slash model slash International Tiki Ambassador slash high powered corporate businessman will be on board for a night of fun. Crazy Al will be performing with King and bringing news of the world and surprises too! Just back from the Honolulu Marathon with twenty-six miles of warstories, we’re going to get Al to sing “Santa Catalina”...can you guess why?

AND

Sabu The Coconut Boy: Renowned for his amazing compilation of rare print artifacts, Sabu has filled multiple giant three ring binders with a wide array of rarites. At Tiki Taix, he will be presenting a special look at some of his best and most rare items in his collection. Viewed via closed circuit on the big screen TV, this will be your only chance to see some of the postcards and matchbook covers that sadly have never made their way into the likes of “The Book of Tiki”!

ALSO

King Kukulele and Special Guests will play some of the songs you know so well, as well as some songs you may never have heard before. In the linup will be LA’s finest Tiki Flute player, Duke Dan! You may have seen him at an earlier Tiki Taix show playing “Quiet Village” on the saxaphone!!

PLUS

Royal Hawaiian RIP!!! Well the word on the King’s Highway is that The Royal Hawaiian restaurant in Laguna Beach, CA. (just down the road a piece) is in escrow to close. Opened in 1947 on PCH Highway 1 this Tiki landmark won’t be forgotten. MTKahuna and SoccerTiki are going to join us with pictures of the Royal Hawaiian and news of a big bash called the Royal Hawaiian Last Hurrah which is coming up in February. Come and find out what all the hubbub is about help spread the word.

AND

Trader Vic The Epilogue! Last month at Tiki Taix XIX we finished off a 6 month series which featured Trader Vic sharing his story of the buffalo. Now that his story has been told, we’ll share another of Vic’s secret treasures with you. It’s a song that Bing Crosby made especially for his pal Trader Vic. The melodies are familiar, but the words tell the story of the safari that Mr. and Mrs. Trader Vic shared with Mr. and Mrs. Bing Crosby. Listen close and enjoy it.

Join us for this one night only event. We'll be at Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park, Los Angeles 90026 One block north of the lagoon.

On 2006-01-26 04:53, KING KUKULELE wrote:
Crazy Al Evans: Tiki Carver slash Ape Bandmember slash model slash International Tiki Ambassador slash high powered corporate businessman will be on board for a night of fun. Crazy Al will be performing with King and bringing news of the world and surprises too! Just back from the Honolulu Marathon with twenty-six miles of warstories, we’re going to get Al to sing “Santa Catalina”...can you guess why?

C'Al's going to swim there & back, in handcuffs, while towing a barge carrying a Tiki bar and all it's customers?

After watching the King and Crazy Al on stage last week at the Purple Orchid, I can't wait hear more hijinx! Are there going to be any raffles?????

A

we’re going to get Al to sing “Santa Catalina”...can you guess why?

:music:
26 miles around Honolulu
Jogging and panting is what you do...
The marathon of romance, ROmance, roMANCE, ROMANCE!

-Randy

Hey King,
Sounds Very good, I'll try to make it tomorrow.
I was very suprised to see you at the Deek Dickerson Guitar Geek Festival. What did you think of it?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

WooHoooo! Looking forward to a fun TGIF @ Taix :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-01-26 21:16 ]

If I can find a sitter, I'm gonna be there!

Hey Bigtikidude,
I worked on a show with Deke Dickerson in a small town in England a couple years back and its always a pleasure seeing him here at home. I didn't know about his Guitar Geek Show until one of Los Straightjackets told me it was happening outside of the convention center. It was GREAT! I saw some great rockabilly masters like T.K. Smith, and Wally Gershon and there were Los Straightjackets and then there was all these TCers like Kick The Reverb, YOU, Spike (LuckyDesigns) It was a madhouse! You sure do get around Bigtikidude!
King

PS Al won't be pulling a barge behind him...we tried it in rehearsal but it wouldn't fit into the lounge.

On 2006-01-26 22:08, KING KUKULELE wrote:
PS Al won't be pulling a barge behind him...we tried it in rehearsal but it wouldn't fit into the lounge.

Ah, you had it backwards: you're supposed to put the Lounge into the Barge. Think how much money he'd raise doing that!

It was a fun night, and I really enjoyed seeing highlights from Sabu's amazing postcard collection. It's always a great party when Crazy Al and King Kukulele get together on stage, and with Duke Dan on a flute and a lovely young hula dancer performing, it was a real treat.

P

Is King Kukulele sporting a beard now or is that some play of light?
He looks like a dapper young Thor Heyerdahl fresh from some Polynesian adventure... except for... you know... the skirt and hat.

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-01-29 18:24 ]

On 2006-01-29 17:52, ookoo lady wrote:
It was a fun night, and I really enjoyed seeing highlights from Sabu's amazing postcard collection. It's always a great party when Crazy Al and King Kukulele get together on stage, and with Duke Dan on a flute and a lovely young hula dancer performing, it was a real treat.

More Cowbell!!!

Hey King,
I'm sorry I missed it, I usually go to all kinds of events/shows on Fri. thru Sun. But ocasionally I run out of Steam on Fris. after a long week of work. I ended up going to the movies and fell asleep
towards the end of it(dohhh).
That's cool info about you and Deke,
I can't remember if i told you. But I was thinking you should have
a double neck ukulele made and play with Deke from time to time.
That would be a Hoot-enanny.
see ya round.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2006-01-26 22:08, KING KUKULELE wrote:
Hey Bigtikidude,
I worked on a show with Deke Dickerson in a small town in England a couple years back and its always a pleasure seeing him here at home. I didn't know about his Guitar Geek Show until one of Los Straightjackets told me it was happening outside of the convention center. It was GREAT! I saw some great rockabilly masters like T.K. Smith, and Wally Gershon and there were Los Straightjackets and then there was all these TCers like Kick The Reverb, YOU, Spike (LuckyDesigns) It was a madhouse! You sure do get around Bigtikidude!
King

Pages: 1 12 replies