Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Trader Vics Tiki Party signing in Emeryville

Pages: 1 29 replies

T

Hi gang

Tara O'Leary from Trader Vic's asked me to post this...

...and if there are any reps from 10-Speed Press there, tell 'em to rethink their decision not to publish Big Stone Head!
LOL.

Have fun!

WHAT: Book Signing for Steve Siegelman author of Trader Vic's Tiki Party. Publisher, Ten Speed Press, Berkeley California

WHEN: Friday February 17, 2006 at 6pm.

WHERE: Trader Vic's Emeryville located at 9 Anchor Drive, between the Watergate Complex on Powell and the Emeryville Marina. Free valet parking. For more information call Trader Vic's Emeryville 510.653.3400.

WHO: Trader Vic's Emeryville, the legendary purveyor of Polynesian food, drinks and fun invite you to celebrate a new book titled Trader Vic's Tiki Party. It has over 100 best-loved tropical cocktails like the Samoan Fog Cutter, Potted Parrot and of course The Original Mai Tai created by Trader Vic himself 62 years ago. The book also includes 35 crowd pleasing pan-Asian pu-pu's like Crab Rangoon, Crispy Prawns and Bongo bongo Soup.

Note: Half price pu-pu's and drinks during the booking signing.

M

I'm so out of the loop in just a week- Tara has to call JT in Chicago to announce an event in Emeryville.

They did the same thing recently at Palo Alto- of course, no one told me or anyone else until after it was over. Apparently it went very well, so I suggest everyone check it out. It's a pretty darn good book, if you don't have it already.

You are out of the loop, martiki! I got the same press release yesterday, tikibars beat me to the punch in posting it. I didn't get word about the Palo Alto one, either... bah! Sounds like they're starting to get a bit more savvy about getting the word out to the tiki world, though. That reminds me of a funny story to post in the Palo Alto bar remodel thread...

At any rate, sounds like a fine excuse to pop into Emeryville. It's the night before the big Royal Hawaiian blowout down in Laguna Beach, sounds like it could be a packed weekend.

Rumor has it that there will be special guests visiting from Hoity Toity-land for this! We have a babysitter, and we're planning on going, who else is in? We could even go to the Kona, since I've only been once and I had the little pineapple with me, and he was crying because everyone was making too much noise, he's such a baby!

So, who is going to this???
Pineapples are in!

T

I'll have to get a different shirt if the Fashion Police (aka The Jab) are gonna be there.

H

We'll be there!

T

On 2006-02-07 10:17, Tiki-bot wrote:
I'll have to get a different shirt if the Fashion Police (aka The Jab) are gonna be there.

The fashion police are in!

Yes, the Kona Club afterwards. That's the night Tej from Club Mallard is working there. He recently left Club Mallard so it's the only night he tends bar now. Kona Kona Kona!

M

ZAZZ!

dang it! I have other plans that night -- "Koyaanisqatsi" on the big screen with Philip Glass doing live accompaniment. That's probably the ONE thing that can keep me away from Tiki.....

T

On 2006-02-08 02:55, cynfulcynner wrote:

dang it! I have other plans that night -- "Koyaanisqatsi" on the big screen with Philip Glass doing live accompaniment. That's probably the ONE thing that can keep me away from Tiki.....

Wow! Where?

So, we're still in... got an all night babysitter!

bump

G

Where is the Kona Club?

T

On 2006-02-15 12:53, grnbike wrote:
Where is the Kona Club?

"Search" function is your friend:

http://www.tikicentral.com/search.php?term=kona&submit=Search&srch=both&frm=all&usr=&srt=newest

Why does it seem that only about 12 people here have ever heard of the Kona Club?

M

On 2006-02-15 14:08, Tiki-bot wrote:

Why does it seem that only about 12 people here have ever heard of the Kona Club?

Lack of sign outside is a MAJOR problem in my opinion. Lets say all the Safeway grocery stores changed names to Good Deal Groceries, but they didn't change the signs. Someone says I love shopping at Good Deals, you say "where"?!?! Signage is very important. Can't figure out why is still says "Kings X"-maybe someone knows.

M

On 2006-02-08 02:55, cynfulcynner wrote:

I heard the soundtrack to "Kona-sqatsi" will be playing at the end of Piedmont Ave! :)

T

On 2006-02-15 16:36, mrsmiley wrote:

Lack of sign outside is a MAJOR problem in my opinion. Lets say all the Safeway grocery stores changed names to Good Deal Groceries, but they didn't change the signs. Someone says I love shopping at Good Deals, you say "where"?!?! Signage is very important. Can't figure out why is still says "Kings X"-maybe someone knows.

Hang loose, bra.

Seriously, I think sometimes buzz is enough to get people to seek a place out so a sign may not be important unless you're trying to lure people to come in who might not have heard of it (the vast majority of people). I don't recall a big sign at Kitty's bar in Emeryville (and it's on a minor street) but it's often packed, and it just opened recently. Word of mouth (and myspace) had a lot to do with it.

I have several friends who go to the Kona often and who have never been on Tiki Central. Then again I have a lot of drinker friends. :)

M

On 2006-02-15 17:15, thejab wrote:

On 2006-02-15 16:36, mrsmiley wrote:

Lack of sign outside is a MAJOR problem in my opinion. Can't figure out why is still says "Kings X"-maybe someone knows.

Hang loose, bra.

Seriously, I think sometimes buzz is enough to get people to seek a place out so a sign may not be important unless you're trying to lure people to come in who might not have heard of it (the vast majority of people). I don't recall a big sign at Kitty's bar in Emeryville (and it's on a minor street) but it's often packed, and it just opened recently. Word of mouth (and myspace) had a lot to do with it.

I have several friends who go to the Kona often and who have never been on Tiki Central. Then again I have a lot of drinker friends. :)

OK, lack of signage and lack of non-TC buzz. Any other reasons why the Kona is a little secret? Actually, in my opionion business seems OK, it is never dead that I can remember, but it is big and the other room is never full. I don't mean to sidetrack this topic.
How late is the Vic's event going to last? I am at San Francisco's best kept secret The Drugstore that night for a sale and public art opening http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18444&forum=4 and would love to join everyone later.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-02-15 17:47 ]

H

On 2006-02-15 17:43, mrsmiley wrote:
How late is the Vic's event going to last?

I don't know how long the actual signing will last, but the special guest Hoiti Toitis will be getting to the Emeryville Vic's a little on the late side -- 8ish or so -- so Hanford & I probably won't be leaving until 10pm at the absolute earliest.

On 2006-02-15 17:47, Humuhumu wrote:

On 2006-02-15 17:43, mrsmiley wrote:
How late is the Vic's event going to last?

I don't know how long the actual signing will last, but the special guest Hoiti Toitis will be getting to the Emeryville Vic's a little on the late side -- 8ish or so -- so Hanford & I probably won't be leaving until 10pm at the absolute earliest.

Leaving to go out? or leaving TV's after a few drinks and going over the Kona??

6pmish.....Trader Vic's signing starts
8pmish.....Hoiti Toiti guests arrive at Trader Vic's
10pmish....Party moves from Trader Vic's to Kona

That's my guess at the schedule, -/+1hr for each of those times. :) Don't know exactly when we'll get there yet.

We plan to show up around dinnertime for the our favorite faaabulous E-Vic's heavenly hamburger. It'll be luverly to see some of those Hoiti Toitis again! :)

M

Straight like a church pew Lombard St to Anchor Dr Emeryville:
Total Est. Distance:11.45 miles

Far, so very far. Not like Alameda far, but dang close to it. Are they on Pacific time in Emeryville?

Traveling Blues,
midnite

M

I WILL see you all at the Kona Lounge in the Old Kings X.

(510) 653-4200 4401 Piedmont Ave
Oakland, CA

The baby has been handed off, I'm sorting through my aloha wear to see what fits...
wooooo hooooooooo. It's been SO long since I've gone out and been able to have a cocktail, I'm pretty excited! See you tonight....

mrs. pineapple

Well, that was fun, eh? We closed not one, but 2 bars last! It's been a LONG time since I've done that! We missed the book signing, but we had several drinks at Vic's with Tangaroa & his lovely wife Nicole, Tikivixen & Bill, Hanford, Humu, Mai Tai, Mrs. Mai Tai, and some people at the other end of the table I didn't meet...
Then we met up with Mr. Smiley and Jab at the Kona! The Kona looks amazing, I was there only once, and it was crazy crowded and I had to leave early. WOW! The new barstools are great! The cushions match the curtains in Baby Pineapple's room! The drinks were yummy, and it was so much fun seeing everyone and getting to stay up late! We need to get out more... (Baby Pineapple got to have a sleepover with his big cousins, and went to a high school wrestling match, he showed us some new moves when he got home) :)

Lotsa fun!

H

Good lord that was fun. What a blast! It's always great getting together with the Bay Area folks, but it was especially fine getting lots of quality time with Tangaroa & his wahine & the Pineapples. So glad you were able to really cut loose, it's been too long. It was also great getting to hear all the happy new parent stories. And reminiscing about my first visit to the Emeryville Trader Vic's, which was with many of the same folks, nearly three years ago! After closing down two bars, AND stopping for chicken & waffles, we didn't get home until almost 5am! Ooh de lally!

I've got some pictures, but they're pretty awful... I'll work on at least getting a few posted.

T

Weeeooooo! We had a blast, guys - thanks to everyone for all the hospitality. It was so great to spend some time with all of you, try some new drinks - and meet folks in person we hadn't before! Nicole is right - the folks in the Bay Area are the best... Mai Tai & Mrs. Mai Tai - great to meet you, Tikivixen & Bill - sorry I didn't talk with you more (at Trader Vics we kinda divided into the "girls side & the boys side" ). It was really fun to meet Mr. Smiley & The Jab! You guys are a couple of TC'ers I've always wanted to meet. Tiki-bot & Mrs. Pineapple - so great to connect again. We gotta get our babies together next time... Hanford & Humu - what can I say? We took too long in finally getting together - but I'm so glad we did! Just really great talking about all my geeky interests with Hanford (who knew he was a Chris Ware fan too ?) - and Humu - what can I say? You really are one of the most gracious people we've ever met. Thank you so much to Tikivixen, Humu, Mrs. Pineapple (and I'm sorry to forget the name of the other lady who hung out with us) for making Nicole feel so welcome! The Stinker, Tonga Punch, Mai Tais, Planet of the Apes - we were blotto at the end! We kept thinking we had to go - before we knew it, last call! Fun. fun, fun - thanks again...

T

Nice pic of the dapper gentleman in the seal fur coat!

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-02-21 12:55 ]

T

Finally! Here's our pics:

I have to say - Bamboo Ben did an AMAZING job at the Kona Club - so weird to see King's X with the old signage still outside, then Polynesian Paradise when you step inside!

We had a great time! Really fun to hook up with all of you....

Pages: 1 29 replies