Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Are there any tiki related events happening ever in or around pensacola, fl ?

Pages: 1 2 replies

I'm surprised that there isn't( at least that I've seen or heard about) There are two groups of tiki carvers in the area who are making quite a business out of tikis. The whole area has a retro surf/ beachtown feel to it. I'm surprised that with such an abundant interest in tiki, surf, and beach. The area doesnt have a Hukilau type of event. I might just have to start and organize my own. Anybody have any ideas on how to get an event like that started? Tiki Kiliki? Holden? anybody?

It doesn't have to be a "Hukilau-type" event, you could do something like the OC Beach Burn, or just host regular get togethers around the Tiki bar in your backyard.

The Hard Way
Start by assessing what venue and entertainment options you have. Call those restaurants or hotels to get an idea of event pricing and peak season.

You may find that the price is extremely prohibitive. Tiki Folks are a frugal crowd. Its not likely they will attend when the door price is $50-$100 each and the rooms are $200+ p/night.

If you dont have any entertainers (ie-bands, dancers, etc) then you might want to default to a DJ who would play the appropriate music.

The key thing here is environment. Tiki folks like to have functions in escapist/themed surroundings. A white walled Holiday Inn might be too generic.

Folks love to shop, which is why vendors (select vendors) help create the environment by displaying their tiki wares.

** The Easy Way**
You may find that the best thing you can do is a low key party at someones home. Someone who has a tropical backyard or a home tiki bar.

If that group swells beyond the capacity of a home then it might be time to investigate a full fledged event.

Most importanly (super important) is to surround yourself with fellow tikifiles (people who "get it"!). Who do you know in your area that enjoys this hobby? What means do you have to communicate with others that you are having a function.

If you want to bust out your favorite vintage shirt in hopes that the crowd can appreciate its rareness, then you dont want to invite folks who come in thier Corona tank tops and Chicago Bulls shorts. They wont care ("hey bro, wheres the bud light", why cant we turn on da game?)!

I would probably not do a house party if you were putting out a public call to folks you dont know. If you open a dialog with people you DO know who have friends that also enjoy it then you might have yourself an good sized group.

Tiki Central participants have been known to travel far and wide for interaction with fellow tiki pals.

Pages: 1 2 replies