Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Aloha Ohana/Ukes For Troops

Pages: 1 6 replies

Aloha gang,

During my recent recovery from open heart surgery, I've worked diligently toward a new life again. By drastically altering my lifestyle with diet and exercise, I have made amazing progress and you'll be happy to know that I am still enjoying the occasional Mai Tai now and then. :)

I've also been taking ukulele lessons through the city of HB which has brought me great joy and has become a new passion of mine. Just by chance, I ended up sitting next to the co-founder of Ukes for Troops, Anita Coyoli-Cullen. We had never met before but we immediately struck up a friendship. Several weeks after I met Anita, she suffered a heart attack and had quintuple bypass surgery. Like me, she was also far to young to suffer from heart disease. Life is strange. Fortunately for Anita, she is on the road to recovery as well and continues her efforts with Ukes for Troops.

Some of you know Shirley from Island Bazaar in HB who is also the co-founder of Ukes for Troops and has been so instrumental in the efforts. There's a great article today about Ukes for Troops in the LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ukes28jan28

As for me I will begin the process of returning to work on a part-time basis on Feb. 1 and will take it day by day on the road to returning full time.

Finally, I want to thank you all once again for your support of the past year. I hope to meet up with you again near future.

Aloha,

Arty

"It's times like these you learn to live again" - Foo Fighters

[ Edited by: stentiki 2006-01-28 11:11 ]

Hi Stentiki,
Glad to hear the ukulele is helping with your recovery process! Thanks for the update.

P

Alright - a new jamming partner!
Thanks for the link.

S

Hey Pablus,

I've listened to a couple of your samples and I got and I've got a looong way to go before I even get close to jammin with you! But thanks for the encouragement and maybe one day it will happen.

Ookoo Lady, the uke has been very therapeutic and it's something that's really kept me going.

Keep on strummin, baby!

TM

This is so typical of Shirley Orlando. When she was a member of the Smokin Menehunes, she was our "Mother hen"..calm, caring, compassionate, worldly, wise, patriotic and a with a great sense of humour. I can't say enough about this fine lady, except that I wish all women were like her! When I saw the article the other day, I was stoked that she got in the paper, but not at all suprised that she was involved in a charity. That's typical of Shirley, always taking care of other people. She is what I would characterize as demonstrating in her personal life the very highest Christian ideals! Plus, she is also a great Ike player, songwriter and playwright!

Maholo, Shirley, for being "you"!!

You're absolutely right, Lucas. Shirley is the best.

The battalion also sent Shirley an American and a Hawaiian flag, plus this amazing Hawaiian quilt to thank Shirley for her efforts. This will be displayed at Island Bazaar in HB. So come on down and check it out. It's great that the uke can bring a little universal joy to the men and women out there in Iraq. That's the power of music for you!

Yes this is very typical of Shirley Orlando. Even when she was 9 and I was 7 she would love and protect me at school. I am Bonnie, her sister, and very very proud of her.

I am new to this Tiki Central and it is great. I have promised my 7 year old Granddaughter that when she is 13 I will take her to Hawaii. We both have a Hawaii change bank. she can hardly pick mine up. Hers is one of the highlights of my life. Any time her mom goes to the store she asks her to "buy me something" when her mom tells her she doesn't have the extra money she RUNS yelling "I have some money in my Hawa Hee Bank!!" Needless to say her "Hawaii Bank" probably has a sum total of $2.59 at any given time. She pronounces it HawaHee because her mother works at Owyhee true value Hardware in Nampa Idaho.

Does anyone know yet the dates of the next Tikifest over at Catalina? I just learned of it today on the net. Mahalo to you all Bonnie aka Lady Gardenia

Pages: 1 6 replies