Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Spencer Gifts Metallica Tikis

Pages: 1 26 replies

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-01-28 22:30 ]

Very cool Lake. I have read that the guys are all tiki fans.
Please share how this came about.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jan 28, 2006 4:30 PM

Awesome - as a big Metallic fan and a tiki head I would love to know more about their tiki diggin too.

Awesome!

Would be interesting,

to hear a spin,

of classical Hawaiian,

done their stye.

Too cool!

Luckeeeeeeee!!!

J
john posted on Sat, Jan 28, 2006 9:22 PM

metallica rules!

J

Damn, is that really Kirk? And MrBaliHai - there are Metallica tikis? Just checked - Metallica tikis coming soon...

My neck still hurts from their show in Providence, RI on the Justice tour. Maybe that's why I'm still drinking!

You can pick up those figures and a MetallicTiki totum pole at Spencers Gifts!

Where did the photo go Lake???

Yeah, bring back the photo, Lake!

[flicks virtual Bic and holds it aloft]

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! (sound of exit door swinging) :wink:

DZ

Yeah - where's the photo & why the name change of this thread?? (I don't think it really got derailed, did it?)

That is just too bizarre. I had pictured Metallica music and the quiet strumming of ukulele guitars (and the accompanying tiki figures, to be as far apart on the musical spectrum as one could get, so those tiki figurines just don't make sense to me.

I wonder what the appeal of the tikis were - the angry, war-like scowls on their faces? the connotations with rum drinks and pagan, wild living? the lowbrow aspect of much tiki art?

The way the world is going now, there will soon be some big tiki festival where all of the music will be supplied by either Jimmy Buffet cover bands or heavy metal bands.

Vern

Kirk is very into Classical music. I've heard.

Never judge books by their covers.

I don't think it really got derailed, did it?

I thought the link and pic I posted was relevant to the topic at hand. If it wasn't, and it caused a thread hijack instead, my apologies.

M

The guys are into tiki- more power to 'em! I know that James bought a few pieces at Tiki Art Now 1. They used to have a tiki tshirt on their website, but I can't find it now. I think big bro bought them all.

I'm off to Spencer's. Damn the torpedos. Full speed ahead!

On 2006-01-28 23:21, RevBambooBen wrote:
Where did the photo go Lake???

On 2006-01-29 04:18, MrBaliHai wrote:
Yeah, bring back the photo, Lake!

[flicks virtual Bic and holds it aloft]

Maybe Lars made him take the pic down? :x

K

Maybe Lars made him take the pic down? :x

I'm sure he did if they weren't getting paid.

On 2006-01-29 11:06, RevBambooBen wrote:
Kirk is very into Classical music. I've heard.
Never judge books by their covers.

I'm not, but I am judging those...those "statuettes" by their looks!

Also, if Metallica ever would play a COVER version of Quiet Village, I would judge them by that! (....Ouuch!)

I think my initial shock of seeing the Metallica tikis has now passed. I am reminded of the stories of how some of the early punk musicians were the first of their generation to discover the wonders of exotica music. I myself was a big fan of punk music, who later discovered the joys of tiki music. I guess it only makes sense that eventually the metalheads would someday discover those wonders too.

Vern

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jan 30, 2006 4:16 AM

I know the guys also dig traditional hot rods too. In "Some Kind of Monster" one of the guys blasts around in an old-school t-bucket (Ive heard, I havent seen it personally). In the book "hot rod pinups" by David Perry they feature Kirk Hammets '36 Ford in bare metal, getting a traditional lead sled treatment, with a guitar amp out back :)

T

They're still ugly!

wow funny, that you should bring this up. I was just looking on google and found a t-shirt of the exact same stuff.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Apr 2, 2006 6:02 AM

I was just watching "some kind of monster" and I spotted a fair few tikis in there. Kirk's room at their base has all the rooms painted with tiki murals. ill try and sweet talk the wahine to get some screen capture shots to post... :)

M

Pages: 1 26 replies