Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Themed Music Festival - Melbourne

Pages: 1 2 replies

H
hmc posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2006 2:17 PM

I was at the Melbourne "Big Day Out" (a massive music festival held annually in Australia) and came across a section they called "Lilyworld" where it was themed like a Tiki Oasis!

The DJ booth was a Tiki Hut on stage... This is where the mermaid (male) and pirate (female) were doing their DJ thang...

There were Tiki carvings (polystyrene from what we could tell) however the poor suckers were hidden behind fences. I managed to photograph one of them by getting the security guy to move a bit. Towards the end of the day I realised why they were behind the fences - A Sumo statue that was in amongst the crowd managed to lose its head :(

In the centre of Lilyworld there was a pole holding up sections of fishing net and the pole itself was adorned with (cardboard?) Tiki faces.

Other items in the area were plastic Palm trees that lit up at night, a wooden Tiki statue to the back of the stage, buoys, Rum / Beer signs, fake sea life and staff dressed in Hawaiian print pants.

Cool Mate! Thanks for the post from "down under." Didn't they get the Mermaid and Pirate characters mixed up though?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jan 30, 2006 3:39 AM

Cool but yet also quite tacky. Not sure where I sit on this one. I love tiki, but cheap and tacky aint my thing. Apparently Im a tiki snob...

Pages: 1 2 replies