Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

WOW- I must've been living under a rock!

Pages: 1 4 replies

H

I just stumbled across this site a few days ago and was blown away. Lurked it-Loved it-Logged in to it. INTRO- I caught the tiki bug in '95 or '96, started buying mugs off ebay ( I may have 25-30-nothing extraordinarily unusual or rare) started carving a few palm logs here and there, selling/giving them to friends.
Somehow, it seems my passion may have dwindled after a few years but my interest never left. Seeing all the carvers/artists/tikifreaks on this site got me back up to par. My job gives me the opportunity to do some tiki-esque stuff also. I do graphics for several resortwear companies (crazyshirts.com in Hawaii and Bluemoongraphics here in SC get my best work)-- lotsa surf, tiki, nautical, fishing, diving, etc. designs. I work from home so I can 'adjust' my schedule depending on the surf (yea, we surf here in SC-believe it or not).
I'll figure this pic upload thing out and post some o' my stuff up fer ye! I think I only have a pic of my first 3 tiki carvings somewhere in my portfolio files-from the mid-late 90's-kinda cartoony.
Also just started constructing a tikified backyard, outdoor bar/kitchen set-up kinda thing. That's how I stumbled upon this site-looking for inspiration-MAN did I hit the jackpot! Hope to post pics of the progress. OK-I'm gone to stir up another CubaLibre and head to the 'how to upload pics' page.

K
kirby posted on Mon, Jan 30, 2006 9:53 PM

welcome surfnturf, cant wait to check out yer stuff...

Welcome aboard , None of us have a cure for this disease and none of us want to be cured. Check here for tips on uploading photos.

Looking foward to seeing your stuff.

KK

E Komo Mai Bruddah!
I too am fairly new to this site and Ive discovered its the best site on earth! We all eagerly await seeing da kine youve carved brah, so hook us up with some photos, yeah? So, hows da surf in SC? You get good swells there for real? I had no idea, but then again it is a "coastal" state so of course you got da beach and waves (but are they good to he'e nalu?)! Hope to see some of your work soon. Keep checking this site 'cause you see all kine pono artwork, carvings etc. from some amazingly talented artists!

Malama Pono!

(crazy shirts eh brah? cool...although local boys and most kama'aina dont wear crazy shirt kine stuff, your artwork must be all over the world from the all da tourists who buy da kine!)

H

Thanks for the welcome, guys. kaha ki'i- we average around waist to chest high surf-good longboard stuff. We get the occasional larger swells. We had a couple of days of 8-10 foot surf around christmas and hurrcane season is always a hoot! Funny, I don't wear the crazy shirts either (except for a few of my favorites) They send me a sample for each design I do for them but I keep them in the plastic w/tags still attached-maybe they'll be collectable someday?!?

Checked out your website-them's some mighty fine fish hooks you got there. Very intricate and detailed-nice work!!!!! Some of the pages wouldn't load pics-could be something on my end. I'll try again later.

Pages: 1 4 replies