Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Mancini's Music of Hawaii

Pages: 1 21 replies

OK, I was staring at the CD of Henry Mancini's Music Of Hawaii trying to figure out if it is super orchestrated a la Morton Gould or more tinkly piano loungey. CDNOW doesn't have sound samples from the album. Can anybody describe it?

On 2006-01-31 20:01, hodadhank wrote:
OK, I was staring at the CD of Henry Mancini's Music Of Hawaii trying to figure out if it is super orchestrated a la Morton Gould or more tinkly piano loungey. CDNOW doesn't have sound samples from the album. Can anybody describe it?

It's Mancini. Orchestral sounding arrangements.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

K

It is an orchestrated LP, but most of the cuts are quite exotically arranged..percussion, fake ship horns, minor chording. On this LP, Mancini utilized a harpsichord, rather than a piano, and I think it worked nicely. It will go in well with exotica music.
MY QUESTION, though, is when they reissued it on CD WHY, for Pete's sake, didn't they pair it with his "Driftwood & Dreams" LP (also released as "The Versatile Mancini", which featured a small combo on exotic/sea related themes? It seems logic just flys out of the window when they reissue two LPs on one CD sometimes. Some of the Les Baxter ones they paired together..well, I just don't get it.
I've always enjoyed "Music Of Hawaii" by Mancini, though. Moon of Manakoora, Driftwood & Dreams, Hawaii Main Theme..great arrangements.

H

Thanks Gwenners. Do you enjoy it? How does it compare to Gould?

BTW... Loved your Tiki Bathroom especially the dark and cozy "Excremeditation Chamber of Mystery". I shall try to envision it while preforming my elaborate daily "Ceremonial Feeding of the Lobsters" at the Hodad Hale.

G

On 2006-02-01 13:13, hodadhank wrote:
Thanks Gwenners. Do you enjoy it? How does it compare to Gould?

BTW... Loved your Tiki Bathroom especially the dark and cozy "Excremeditation Chamber of Mystery". I shall try to envision it while preforming my elaborate daily "Ceremonial Feeding of the Lobsters" at the Hodad Hale.

I've rather fond of it, including Mancini's take on Quiet Village which -- how to explain? -- sounds exactly like how I'd expect Mancini to go with the track. Heavy (though mellow) string and horn use. I like it a lot, more than Gould -- but I am a biased listener: I'm a big fan of Mancini's Mr. Lucky and Peter Gunn soundtracks and related works.

Glad you liked the Enchanted Tiki Bathroom. It has great atmosphere -- but the drinks are horrible!

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

H

On 2006-02-01 13:03, Kaiwaza wrote:
... when they reissued it on CD WHY, for Pete's sake, didn't they pair it with his "Driftwood & Dreams" LP (also released as "The Versatile Mancini", which featured a small combo on exotic/sea related themes? ...

Yes! That's the one I really want. I was hoping for a small combo sound. I haven't found it on disc yet. Is it even available in that format? I'd be happy with a pristine vinyl copy burned onto CD. I've gotten some otherwise unavailable music from Britain that way.

I agree with you too about some of the Baxter combos, even though two releases from the same year are obviously a good value when are paired on one disc, I would have preferred Soul Of The Drums paired with something more stylistically compatible than Academy Award Winners.

H

*On 2006-02-01 14:59, gwenners wrote:*Glad you liked the Enchanted Tiki Bathroom. It has great atmosphere -- but the drinks are horrible!

T

On 2006-02-02 08:38, hodadhank wrote:
I agree with you too about some of the Baxter combos, even though two releases from the same year are obviously a good value when are paired on one disc, I would have preferred Soul Of The Drums paired with something more stylistically compatible than Academy Award Winners.

I hate to sound cynical (again?) but they do this for a reason - they can get more mileage in the long term from this re-release program by pairing a record that will definitely sell with a relatively less exciting one. That way they can spread the really great ones out over more discs over more time and sell more total CDs.
Remember, this is Capitol we're dealing with.

The difference with (for example), the Martin Denny stuff on Scamp, is that Scamp had to license the records from the owners. Unlike Capitol, who own Baxter's stuff, Scamp doesn't own Denny's stuff, and therefore only paid to licence the very best stuff. Capitol has the freedom to issue whatever they want without paying anyone, so they're going to unleash a few lesser recordings to make the greats last longer - and cost more in the long run form the consumer to get.

G

On 2006-02-02 08:38, hodadhank wrote:

Yes! That's the one I really want.

You'll find a downloadable copy of this at
http://bentrecords.blogspot.com/2006/03/henry-mancini-and-his-orchestra.html

Cheers,
Gwen Smith
(has the vinyl)

Thanks for posting that link, Gwen!

As far as "Music of Hawaii" goes, I've kept the vinyl in the "Exotica" shelf of my record collection because it's got my favorite version of "Moon of Manakoora". I would definitely recommend it.

Sabu

G

On 2006-03-01 13:33, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Thanks for posting that link, Gwen!

You're welcome.

Mancini actually does one of my favourite versions of Quiet Village, too. Though I still prefer the Denny Moon of Manakoora over Mancini. Definitely worthwhile stuff, regardless.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

H

G

Ah, just found the "Music of Hawaii" LP in a thrift store Saturday for a whopping 50 cents. Looks to be in good shape. You all have me looking forward to listening to it. Time to give it a spin.

I love Henry Mancini. One thing I really dig about his records is that he was so prolific and so popular that there are literally millions of records out there in the thrifts, waiting to be scored--and they're good! I find the Versatile Mancini every other time I hit a thrift store, and it's one of the best exotica records out there! "Hawaii" is good too. "Hatari" is another one to look out for to hear some great Mancini exotica. And there's so many more, even his drek has something interesting to offer.

Another, harder to find exotica classic of his is "Mr. Lucky Goes Latin." It's not technically exotica, but Mancini uses such rich, exotic arrangements on that album that it rivals the best Les Baxter has to offer. "Lujon" (aka the Latinized "Slow Hot Wind") is a hallmark of the record and is one of my all-time favorite exotica tracks. It's very string-heavy and instrumentally offers the easiest of easy-listening sounds (which normally I shy away from). Yet Mancini pulls it off as only he--and of course Les Baxter--can. It sets a lush mood that is the perfect, relaxing backdrop to a good tiki drink. An easy place to sample "Lujon" is the Movie "The Big Lebowski." It's the music that Jackie Treehorn has playing in the background when the Dude is visiting him at his pad.

IZ

On 2006-03-02 17:27, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
It's very string-heavy and instrumentally offers the easiest of easy-listening sounds (which normally I shy away from).

And this from a guy who collects the 101 Strings and Ray Charles Singers LPs. Guess it's time to unload those records at a yard sale of something...I guess I could take them off your hands, I mean what are friends for?

I, Z

H

On 2006-03-01 13:00, gwenners wrote:
You'll find a downloadable copy of this at....
Cheers,
Gwen Smith
(has the vinyl)

Can you believe it? It won't download for me!!!

"If He's So Versatile, why in hell is he wearing a suit and tie on the Beach, Hunh?"

L

Yes! That's the one I really want. ....

Love that lp cover art.
I especially like how the moon casts a reflection on the sea many degrees away from where it otta.

G

On 2006-03-03 04:55, hodadhank wrote:
Can you believe it? It won't download for me!!!

Weird!

I have the download, and can pack that up with the other goods I need to send your way. :)

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

H

On 2006-03-03 01:33, I, Zombie wrote:

On 2006-03-02 17:27, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
It's very string-heavy and instrumentally offers the easiest of easy-listening sounds (which normally I shy away from).

And this from a guy who collects the 101 Strings and Ray Charles Singers LPs. Guess it's time to unload those records at a yard sale of something...I guess I could take them off your hands, I mean what are friends for?

I, Z

Well, at least you didn't bring up the Ray Conniff records!

L

fixed album art...

Although not Tiki, two AWESOME mancini records that you can find at the thrifts are

Mancini Plays the Theme From Love Story

The Cop Show Themes

If you see these, pick em up! The "Love Story" LP is sort of Mancini's response to Italian thriller soundtrack music of the early 1970s. "Theme for Three," "Theme from 'The Night Visitor,'" and "Harmonica Man" are all that right mix of creepy/sleazy that was synonymous with Euro B-film soundtracks of the period. And his version of M.A.S.H. (a song I never thought much of) is incredible. Plus, both Tommy Morgan and Muzzy Marcellino (Mr Harmonica and Mr Whistler) are credited on the LP!

The Cop Show Themes LP is a little more disco/funk influenced, but his Streets of San Francisco cover alone is worth the 99 cents you'll probably pay for this record at your local Goodwill.

Good stuff!

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2006-03-11 10:10 ]

Pages: 1 21 replies