Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

TRETCHIOFF art, tiki or just bad art?

Pages: 1 17 replies

R

I was wondering if his work belonged in a tiki bar or not.

Thoughts?

Uhh, YES! Absolutely. I think so.

Here are the two I found recently:
here in Tiki FInds

Here's a few past threads about the subject:

Tretchikoff

Tretchikoff Green Lady sighting in movie

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-02-23 12:31 ]

His work belongs on Monty Python! :lol:

MD

My grandfather and grandmother always had a blue lady hanging in their dining room...in Hudson, Colorado of all places.
Grandma died.....grandpa took ill and moved to a home. So yours truly just inherited the blue lady. It was the only thing I got. The only thing I really wanted. The frame was hurt in a flood but the picture is awesome.
I took it apart from the damaged frame and found the backing board is actually an old budwieser advertisement!

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 1:18 PM

I don't think that its bad art in any way. the woman looks photographically real

On 2006-02-01 19:28, cynfulcynner wrote:

His work belongs on Monty Python! :lol:

I was watching the "Personal Best" Monty Python show last night, and guess who was in the background in the Mollusk Documentary skit? Green Lady!

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-02-23 13:01 ]

On 2006-02-02 13:18, teaKEY wrote:
I don't think that its bad art in any way. the woman looks photographically real

Which is, in art circles, the definition of bad art...or bad taste.
As you all know, I love and support bad taste. I shlepped a framed Tretchikoff all the way from the "Lost and Found" holding tank in Hamburg to my home in L.A. once. How could you loose a painting? I mean they had over a hundred umbrellas, but a big print in a frame? It was an art orphan. I love the discarded and shunned art of the world!

I've got this huge print of 'The Dying Swan' that's signed by Tretchikoff. I bought it to go to a good home, and it's in great shape. If anyone has a hankering for swan lake, I've got something you might like!

K

Somehow I've always though "tiki" and "bad art" kind of went together already....as opposed to "high art." I have a lovely greenish-tuquiosi-sh sort of Indonesian turbaned woman by Trechieverwho that NEVER fails to elicit
praises from visitors. She is hauntingly beautiful and would, no doubt, be laughed out of any serious museum.
I guess I live in strange world where "bad" is "good", or, at least, far more interesting.

L
Loki posted on Fri, Feb 24, 2006 5:01 AM

freddie,
i saw the same best of monty python that night and i went to my dvd of the same episode to get a screen shot of it, but got too busy. I'll still get it if anyone really cares. Spam spam spam egg sausage and spam!

TW, your images of the paintings is not working, could you repost them? I was curious if you had one from the monty python episode. Thanx.

B

If you are a Tretchikoff fan, you can now get one big enough to cover your entire wall. Surface View is selling them: http://www.surfaceview.co.uk/

-Duke

"You got Tiki in my modern!"
"You got modern on my Tiki!"

Two great tastes that taste great together.

That's cooool! I have had her on my bedroom wall for a long time....

...but how great would it be if she would BE my bedroom wall!

I have the same picture in a nice black bamboo frame down in my Tiki Bar!!

Very cool to have an entire wall covered.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

That 'Surface View' website is very cool! As a mural artist myself....."there goes more jobs to mass produced, consumer priced computer graphics" :(

M

Definitely artistic, but not my cup of meat.

On 2006-02-24 05:01, Loki wrote:
TW, your images of the paintings is not working, could you repost them? I was curious if you had one from the monty python episode. Thanx.

All fixed, sorry for the delay!

I like Tretchikoff's work, but more for retrasian (as opposed to tiki) decor. We have a "Miss Wong" print hanging in the master bedroom.

I'd say not tiki but I like it.

Pages: 1 17 replies