Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Forbidden Island is pleased to announce our Secret Weapons...

Pages: 1 11 replies

M

It is with great pleasure I inform you that we have secured

The Dream Team...

The Dynamic Duo...

Forbidden Island Alameda is proud to announce our starting lineup of expert mixologists:

Jim Shoemake & Sonya Runkle!!!

That's right- our two full time bartenders are Jim and Sonya! For those of you who know Jim & Sonya, then you know the awesome power that will be behind our bar. With a total of over a decade of Trader Vic's bartending under their belts, Jim & Sonya will bring their total commitment to pefectly balanced tropical drinks with only the finest ingredients to Forbidden Island.

Here's some quick bios:

Jim Shoemake was raised just outside of St. Louis, MO and has been in the Bay Area for over a decade. Jim joined Trader Vic's six years ago and was most recently the bar manager at Trader Vic's San Francisco. Jim loves motorcycles, Jeeps, and especially poker- talk to the man for tips, but prepare to get your ass handed to you if you challenge him to a hand! Jim mixes to the dry side, so sour fans should watch for him. You can find Jim for the month of February filling in at the Conga Lounge!

Sonya Runkle is originally from the southland, but we won't hold that against her. She was a bartender for four years at Trader Vic's Emeryville and for the last year at Trader Vic's San Francisco. Sonya's outgoing nature, big smile and killer mixology have won her fans all over the Bay Area. Sonya loves puppies, walks on the beach, and men who aren't araid to cry. No, that's bullshit: Sonya loves booze! As a fellow member of the US Bartender's Guild, Sonya & I have spent many a night talking spirits and experimenting. You can find Sonya working her magic at Pesce in San Francisco for now- but don't tell anyone there she's leaving- they probably don't know!

Get ready: It's just over two months away....

[ Edited by: martiki 2006-02-02 12:56 ]

On 2006-02-02 12:54, martiki wrote:
Sonya Runkle is originally from the southland, but we won't hold that against her. She was a bartender for four years at Trader Vic's Emeryville and for the last year at Trader Vic's San Francisco. Sonya's outgoing nature, big smile and killer mixology have won her fans all over the Bay Area. Sonya loves puppies, walks on the beach, and men who aren't araid to cry. No, that's bullshit: Sonya loves booze! As a fellow member of the US Bartender's Guild, Sonya & I have spent many a night talking spirits and experimenting. You can find Sonya working her magic at Pesce in San Francisco for now- but don't tell anyone there she's leaving- they probably don't know!

Not Sonya Toshiko Runkle from E.LA!?!

T
thejab posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 1:23 PM

Hot damn!

M

*Jim & Sonya will bring their total commitment to perfectly balanced tropical drinks with only the finest ingredients to Forbidden Island. *

What a coincidence as I have a total commitment to drinking perfectly balanced tropical drinks.

Excellent news Monsieur Al Martiki-San, this will only add to the appeal of "Forbidden Island" and make the ever so arduous trek to Alameda more tolerable. I mean, it's far, Alameda is far. Fine additions, very promising.

Top-notch talent, them.

midnite

I mean, it's far, Alameda is far.

14.5 miles - 28 minutes. Why...you city folks!! Anything past the Bay Bridge is considered another state!! My brother lives in SF and I hear this all the time.

M

It's just that Midnite doesn't have a car. He's not allowed to drive after the, um, "incident".

At least the head wound has healed up. Mostly.

G

On 2006-02-02 14:39, Conga Mike wrote:

I mean, it's far, Alameda is far.

14.5 miles - 28 minutes. Why...you city folks!! Anything past the Bay Bridge is considered another state!! My brother lives in SF and I hear this all the time.

14 miles is far? Why, FI will be 41 miles for me -- and 49 minutes. Probably longer in the Rambler, too. Yet I can't wait to see tis place!

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

M

14.5 miles

Fourteen MILES!!! Oh jeeze, that really is not going to work. I didn't know Alameda was that far. It doesn't seem that far on the map, I mean it's only like "------" that on the map. Am I gonna need shots? A passport?

I'm a homebody, travel is icky. Going abroad? Aye yea yea, getting a rash already. Too scary. Can someone just send me a postcard. One can use American stamps from Alameda, no?

head injury

Now, we didn't have to bring that up, did we? I am doing fine, the latest program of med's and positive imagery therapy is doing wonders. The facial tics and random spasms are far fewer and much less violent. Still have that trouble with the spontaneous, uh, screaming.

Doing great, knock on wood...(actually it's a carbon fiber plate in my head)
midnite, can drive, just not advised as the pedals all look so alike to me.

So how early in the day will Forbidden Island open on Sundays when it opens its doors in April?

I ask because I am a dedicated attendee to the monthly Alameda Antique Faire and find my self up there every month (unless it rains of course.)

M

HOLY CRAP!! You are going to make this little bar in Alameda a world class joint!!!! ZAZZZ !! :)

On 2006-02-02 17:07, Cool Manchu wrote:
So how early in the day will Forbidden Island open on Sundays when it opens its doors in April?

I am a dedicated attendee to the monthly Alameda Antique Faire

Probably around 2pm. We'll definitely have our doors open for the Faire goers.

Looking forward to seeing and serving all you tiki socialites in the near future.
Aloha and mahalo

Pages: 1 11 replies