Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Wedding Reception at Trader Vic's

Pages: 1 9 replies

G

Does anyone have any suggestions for Wedding Favors?

Our reception will be at Trader Vic's in Emeryville, CA in the John Cook Room...The room has a huge shell chandelier with tiki's galore!

[ Edited by: grnbike 2006-02-03 16:45 ]

I gave out leis at my wedding

P
Pyro posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 8:34 PM

I'm getting married in May (on the beach in Key West at sunset, with a steel drum band) We are using our tiki mug collection as centerpieces. And favors will be CDs I am burning of Island music. Maybe for a trader vics, a CD of Polynesian music? Or maybe a souvenier tiki mug?

D

congrats! and great place for a reception (which city?)

i like unconventional wedding favors...and ones that last longer than a bite of chocolate! i'd think one of the Moai Soaps would be neat..they're by Motiki here on TC.

On 2006-02-02 20:34, Pyro wrote:
We are using our tiki mug collection as centerpieces.

Be careful! Some people like to take the centerpieces home with them!

G

Our reception will be at Trader Vic's in Emeryville, CA in the John Cook Room...The room has a huge shell chandelier with tiki's galore!

Thank you for all your suggestions for wedding favors!

D

other ideas:

mini bottles of rum
packets of macadamia nuts
tiki shot glasses
(tiki farm's having a sale on salt n pepper shakers that are darling)..
personalized mug

dont know what your budget is like, or if the bride likes more frilly things..but anything looks great witha piece of net and ribbons with your names on it!

We had a "luau" for our kids's wedding six years ago...(we hadn't graduated to the TIKI stage yet). We had personalized ceramic coconut mugs to give away with the bride and groom's name and date, and/or a tiki mug. If you can find one of the ceramic hobbiest in your area they can make them to order and I would think shouldn't be over $10 each.

Because I'm so CHEAP, we ended up learning to slipcast and made our own mugs after we found a company out west that had original master molds of a tiki mug. WE found that by going to some of the ceramic posting forums online and asking around. Ceramists would rather die than throw out an old mold so they are still around out there. We glazed the bride and groom's tiki mugs in white with mother-of-pearl overlay so they were really extra-special and so we could keep an eye on them from going out the door with the wrong person. The rest were in brown.

We also found white silk leis and used two to make wedding headbands for the bride and groom and stitched a little piece of white tulle (fine netting) to the back of the bride's head band (can't see the little veil in this pix).

Here's a table setting. Each table had different bright "luau" colors.

And just for fun, we built a little "wedding hut" for the bride, groom and best man and maid of honor to sit in. We lashed bamboo tomato stakes with plastic wire ties, and lashed on some grass mats we found at Big Lots for a buck each, then hid the wire ties with raffia grass.

That's the best we could come up with some six years ago before we were more into the whole tiki thing and pre-tiki central.

LavaLounger

As cynfulcynner pointed out, people LOVE to take away a little something from a wedding reception, to remember you by. Depending on how many are attending your reception, you might want to give each of them their very own tiki mug. For one of my summer tiki parties / luaus, I purchased enough tiki mugs for each of my guests.

Dynasty Wholesalers in New York (www.dynastywholesale.com) is a great place to get generic tiki mugs at a decent price. You can buy the mugs in dozens or by the case (normally 3 doz per case.) I used a glass marker pen that I got from Michael's or Beverly's Craft Store and wrote a small inscription on each mug commemorating the event. I got the parrot mugs from Dynasty, and between shipping and the mug cost, it amounted about $4.25 per mug. (Dynasty got my mugs to me in NorthBay within 1.5 weeks from time they received my payment. You can send full prepayment to them in advance, or they can arrange COD. They do not take credit cards, thus they can keep the cost of the mugs lower.)

Good choice of the TV at Emeryville! Sounds fun!

G

Thank you for all your responses!

Pages: 1 9 replies