Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

inland driftwood

Pages: 1 9 replies

T

I live pretty much the furthest from the sea as you can get in the uk, so in search of driftwood I found some thermalite bricks 'washed up' on the local building site. This is a lightweight building block with great insulation properties. This does make them very delicate, but have been great for me see if I can sculpt and make the look I'm after. This is my first crack at carving, mainly inspired by you lot.

I've kept the backs of the tikis as found [brick shaped].

I liked the idea of using inland drift-stuff to make tikis. Been to the reclaim yard near us and kicked about in the junk pile at the back. Got some great stuff. More soon.

This one is based on my tikiracer print/character - firstracer

Couldn't help myself and put a old speaker in the back of this one, so I can play polynesian drum music whilst sketching. Needs an amp really but maybe save that for the next one?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking.

L
Loki posted on Fri, Feb 3, 2006 9:30 AM

Racer, I like them, and especially when you can make a tiki functional such as a speaker holder.

B

Welcome TikiRacer. Thats pretty decent for your first carvings. You will
improve with time and after looking at other carvings. check out this thread
about Areated concrete, or AAC as its known here, AAC
Keep posting your pictures, we want to watch your progress.
Cool stuff.

thanks for the cool feedback

also thanks for the link, I did have a snoop about but didnt know the name you guys use for the same material.

more to come. Got to work on a bike wheel frame first and then a wooden tiki head to mount on some bike forks...

Welcome excellent first tiki keep em coming.

Good work, your're a true 'Urban Beachcomber'

H

Take heart. Global warming is coming your way. Have you tried any carvings on those big rocks at Stonehedge?
That would be awsome dude!
You could put 100 watt Marshall Stacks behind those suckers too!
Great start! Keep 'em comin!

[ Edited by: HelloTiki 2006-02-03 21:32 ]

Racer,
Excellent work, I can't seem to find a piece of (what we call AAC) anywhere, here in FL. I hear it carves easily, as far as taking off the material.
Welcome aboard and good work,

H
hewey posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2006 4:32 AM

Cool man! I love the old 'relic' look that these guys have. The speaker is cool too. The AAC is dusty stuff aint it? Keep it comin!

C

Those are all pretty cool! Neat concept behind them.

Chongolio

Pages: 1 9 replies